Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nigelh

Topfield 5000PVRt

96 posts in this topic

Has any one used the SCART connector to hook up Component?

Is there a pin out list or a cable one could buy..

Nigel

Perth, WA

I haven't tried it myself (I use RGB-via-SCART), but I believe Dick Smith/PowerHouse sells a suitable adaptor plug - their part number "P6676" - for $22.98. This then gives you the "normal" three RCA sockets you'd be expecting to connect to your display device.

NB: There is a bug reported with the TF5000PVRt in _using_ this component output, in that the brightness or colour intensity (or something) isn't "to spec" vs other component-outputting devices you might have. As a result you may - until a corrected firmware version is available - have to use two different sets of settings on your TV/projector depending on whether you are using the Topfield's component output or some other device's component output, or at worst tweak the brightness/colour a bit when changing to/from the Toppy.

ted.h.

NB: There is a bug reported with the TF5000PVRt in _using_ this component output, in that the brightness or colour intensity (or something) isn't "to spec" vs other component-outputting devices you might have. As a result you may - until a corrected firmware version is available - have to use two different sets of settings on your TV/projector depending on whether you are using the Topfield's component output or some other device's component output, or at worst tweak the brightness/colour a bit when changing to/from the Toppy.

ted.h.

The colour error with component cannot be solved by adjusting you display, its a appears to be problem with gain errors in the output stage of the Topfield. This results in streaks across the screen with high contrast segments eg: within menus you see the selection box and a stripe to the left and right of it.

Hopefully it can be corrected soon by firmware as the Audio/Video IC (STV6412A) used in the Topfield has fully software adjustable gain controls on all output pins.

rgds Damon

The colour error with component cannot be solved by adjusting you display, its a appears to be problem with gain errors in the output stage of the Topfield. This results in streaks across the screen with high contrast segments eg: within menus you see the selection box and a stripe to the left and right of it.

Hopefully it can be corrected soon by firmware as the Audio/Video IC (STV6412A) used in the Topfield has fully software adjustable gain controls on all output pins.

Okay, thanks! I misunderstood the exact nature of it from the posted bug report (I can't easily hook mine up via component).

BTW, Jai has a component-capable plasma screen at the Topfield Australia showroom. I sent him an email a couple of weeks ago letting him know of the Dick Smith SCART-to-component adaptor plug so he could hook up the TF5000PVRt to repro the problem himself there (and of course to give a good-quality demo of the box once the problem is fixed). I haven't been over since I emailed him, but hopefully he has now seen the issue himself.

ted.h.

I tried the Dick Smith Scart to RGB Adapter (digtor P6676) but my LG Rear Pro says, "Component out of range", I have also tried the Avico HTC2406 and Also the Crest Platinum PVSL700 Kit does the same..

Anyone with any Ideas... :blink:

I'm guessing here, but the only two things I can think of that might make it totally not work (as opposed to working but having a bit too much voltage/contrast, as per the earlier post in the thread) is to make sure (1) you have the output on the Toppy configured for "YUV" (rather than RGB which it probably defaulted to) and (2) the component input on your display device is compatible with (and configured for) 576i (ie normal PAL Interlaced) format.

Sorry, no other great ideas spring to mind, but if it's not either of those two things maybe someone else who is using component out on their Toppy will know...

ted.h.

Yes it should work apart from the colour errors, make sure you have the Topfield set for YUV. To make things easier while playing around connect the composite video to a spare input on the TV so you can find your way thru the menus if you select the wrong output type.

If things are going well when the YUV is selected connecting the the Y line should give you a Black&White picture. Then connect the other U and V and it should be in colour, if it looks wierd reverse the U and the V.

Rgds Damon

The Dick Smith P6676 adaptor works into my Philips 100 Hz 68 cm TV (vintage 2000), except for the color banding problem mentioned here and elsewhere.

Hi All, I just bought my toppy three days ago and so far am loving it...

So if you guys are using the scart to rgb adapter how are you getting audio, I suppose you are using spdif out to your av amps which I do not have at the moment. I have a scart to 3 rca (rgb) cable which gets me video, albiet with the issue mentioned above, but no audio. The rca audio outputs on the back of the toppy do not work when you are using the scart plug. Is there a scart cable that breaks out to component and left right audio. I have been to Len Wallis audio, jaycar, sony and all they have is scart to s-video and left/right rca, I really want to use component.

I have a scart to 3 rca (rgb) cable which gets me video, albiet with the issue mentioned above, but no audio. The rca audio outputs on the back of the toppy do not work when you are using the scart plug.

The analogue audio outputs *do* work with a scart plug plugged in.

However, the STB doesn't have an internal DolbyDigital decoder, only an internal MPEG-audio decoder, so if you have chosen the dolby stream of what you are watching then you won't hear anything from either the SCART or the stereo outputs (only the optical SPDIF output will send anything in this case).

Choose the MPEG stream (normally titled "eng" rather than "eng[db]" when using the audio selection button).

Cheers

Ok Thanks, I'm at work at the moment so I'll try it when I get home.

Do I have to change the setting for each channel or is there a global seting via a menu, I've pulled up a pdf of the users manual and can not see an option in any of the menus.

Do I have to change the setting for each channel or is there a global seting via a menu, I've pulled up a pdf of the users manual and can not see an option in any of the menus.

It is per channel, it is the speaker button above the "V+" key. Normally the default is "AUTO" and this picks MPEG, but could be different in different areas (due to the broadcasters setup).

Still no joy with audio, I have selected 'eng' and still all quiet.

Just to clarify, I am using a scart to 3 rca cable for video, not RGB as first stated but YUV and am using the left/right rca connectors (just under the svideo connector on the back of the toppy) for audio. I have set all channels to 'eng' audio setting and get nothing. I have also upgraded to the 30th jan firmware. Loader version is 416, device ver is v5.2.43, application version is TF-NPTA 5.10.60....

Still no joy with audio, I have selected 'eng' and still all quiet.

Just to clarify, I am using a scart to 3 rca cable for video, not RGB as first stated but YUV and am using the left/right rca connectors (just under the svideo connector on the back of the toppy) for audio. I have set all channels to 'eng' audio setting and get nothing. I have also upgraded to the 30th jan firmware. Loader version is 416, device ver is v5.2.43, application version is TF-NPTA 5.10.60....

Bugger, just tested, and same thing.... I could have sworn I had some analogue audio feeding out those things (as sometimes I switch my amp to analogue rather than Toslink for testing).

Looks like the audio must have been coming back off from the TV out back into the amp instead (via SCART TO TV, then SCART2 out of TV to 6 RCAs to my amp... this cable doesn't get used much now due to my VCR being powered down and my DVD player & STB sharing the one SCART using the RGB passthru of the toppy).

Hi,

I use a very handy cable that came with the Toppy....probably a few dollars worth...I was surprised to see it in the box.

It is a scart with four connectors that convert to s-video as well as ordinary video and left and right sound....

foss

I use a very handy cable that came with the Toppy....probably a few dollars worth...I was surprised to see it in the box.

It is a scart with four connectors that convert to s-video as well as ordinary video and left and right sound....

foss

But for people running those "component" adapters, both the passive ones (for the YUV menu option) or the active ones (convert RGB), then there won't be any analogue audio out! Man, I could have definitely sworn that those back RCAs did something once in their life (as you can probably guess, I never really use them as the fully wired SCART and digital optical is all I need).

Looks like the solution is to run SVIDEO with one of those in/out adapters Here which is what I think you are referring to, right Foss?

Edited by tonymy01

Hmmm...I am really only using the s-video part of the scart....it seems to give the best s-video connection for some reason....better than the straight s-video out.

I don't have any sound from the RCA audio because I have just set up a new Pioneer VSX-D912K, so I have installed digital/optical sound to that and with the receivers prologic11 the sound is amazing, even from the Toppy non Dolby channels(only ABC is Dolby up here.)...It is so good to have everything working on the same line to the TV, and the remote is programmable so that one remote works every thing I own via the av unit and/or direct to the devices such as HDD DVD recorder player, CD player, VCR, and of course the Toppy....I guess other a/v receivers do this but at the moment it all a bit of a novelty to me...like when I first got the Toppy, only more complex...but fun.

here is a link to the a/v unit

http://ecoustics-cnet.com.com/Pioneer_VSX_...ml?tag=topprods

foss

Looks like the solution is to run SVIDEO with one of those in/out adapters Here  which is what I think you are referring to, right Foss?

I know the unit you refer to Tony, I use it on another device and it works well.....the one that came with the Toppy is a scart one end and the leads that come out are s-video and 3 other leads which are video and left and right sound...I have always had sound out on the RCA connectors on the back of the Toppy at all times, using scart or not....That finished when I put the optical cable in.(disconnects the analogue sound)

foss

Has anyone got the scart to component (YUV) working yet? Have the colour/brightness issues been fixed / improved with the April 6 firmware?

Which particular cable do people suggest?

The Neotech NC2433 perhaps?

Has anyone got the scart to component (YUV) working yet? Have the colour/brightness issues been fixed / improved with the April 6 firmware?

Colour/Striping/whatever is fixed with a capacitor change (or 3) by Topfield... us end users who have been modded coin this "mod2" (or is that just me that calls it this?)

Cheers

Colour/Striping/whatever is fixed with a capacitor change (or 3) by Topfield... us end users who have been modded coin this "mod2" (or is that just me that calls it this?)

Was this 'Mod' done by RMA, return to place of purchase, return to Topfield, overseas, or did you do it yourself.

If you did this mod, is there any chance of putting up the changes made, as I am well acquainted with SMD components (if they are SMD's!).

P.S. What was MOD1?

To "cods69":

This isn't authorative (ie it's based on my possibly-faulty remembering of what Jai said to me), but if you bought your Toppy new with the April 6 firmware on it - that is that it was loaded by the factory in Korea or Jai's staff in Australia with that firmware - then it also has the adjustment for the component (YUV) output levels already applied (NB: It is just YUV output levels that is at issue here, nothing to do with composite, SVideo, or RGB outputs from the box).

If your unit originally came with some earlier firmware version than 6-Apr, then it _may_ have a problem with component levels when driving some display devices, and if you are definitely having problems with the component output not looking right, then Topfield can definitely check this out for you and tell you whether just zapping on the new firmware will be enough, or whether the box should have a quick visit to Sydney (or maybe a local repair agency too I guess).

To reiterate an important point that Jai made to me, _all_ boxes which have been through Topfield Australia in the last 2 months or so (and perhaps earlier), and certainly all new ones rolling out to retail since that time, already have the latest hardware - whether "modified" by Topfield Australia, or built-in in Korea - and if you still have problems, definitely you should be contacting Topfield Australia and work through with them what you are seeing that is not right.

To "dyson":

My understanding is you should have the 6-April firmware, and whether you need a hardware modification for component/YUV output to work perfectly depends on (1) the "vintage" of your Toppy (as above), and (2) whether your particular display device is susceptible to whatever the Toppy used to do for YUV output that was out-of-spec.

The passive SCART-to-component adaptor plug from Dick Smith definitely works with the Toppy (set your Toppy to YUV output, connect three component RCA cables - of any brand/expense you like - between the adaptor and your display device, and you're good to go). The Neotech cables that I've seen appear to be good quality; I haven't used any specific SCART-to-component cable from them (I used a QED SQART component-to-SCART cable for a while though), but I'd have no reason to doubt the Neotech is a good cable.

ted.h.

Ok, I am not currently using component, but I am paranoid enough now to want to take it to a friends house who has a component capable display to test it.

I have since purchasing updated the firmware to the Apr06 5.2.48 5.10.85 version, but it was initially 5.2.47 5.10.83 (I think it was Mar30).

Should I be worried, cause I'll be getting a projector in the not too distant future, and don't want any undue wait time when it happens..?....(ie. having to do without the Toppy for even a day is too much) :blink:

Why should you be worried, Topfield fixes it for free anyway?

If you live in Sydney, take it in to them, the fix only takes 5mins, and the drive over there is interesting enough (boy has that whole area changed lots in 10years... Wetherill Park I am referring to).

The fix has been on all STBs since about the 2nd week of April, so guessing if yours had March f/w on it then it may not be fixed, but just suck it and see, and don't be too concerned!

Regards

I bought an AVICO scart to component adapter and I indeed had the colour banding problem. I contacted Jai at Topfield and he suggested I send my Toppy to him in Sydney for the 'mod 2' to be done. I must say the customer service from this guy is exemplary! He was polite & helpful on the phone and by email.

He gave me a courier to call and a Topfield account number by which to pay for the freight. No charge for me - excellent.

The courier picked it up 3pm Tuesday. Thursday afternoon I got my Toppy returned to me by courier. Wow. That was quite an impressive turnaround from Melb to Sydney and back again.

The YUV / component out is now working without colour banding. I have to say I don't think it is perfect - the brightness seems a little low & the colours seem a bit out. Red in particular appears too strong compared with the S-Video output. Still, with adjustments on my tv I can pretty much compensate for that.

The other problem I had before the mod was glitching on recordings made while playing back other files. Well that appears to have gone completely! Yeah!!!!!