Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fossil

TOPPY TIPS

20 posts in this topic

Ok...what I will endeavor to do is edit this thread to keep the tips posted below in one post...To start with, the number keys can be used in several circumstances....I haven't fiddled any more than what I have below.

Any explanation of poorly detailed manual information would be appreciated

I'm sure there are many more, so c'mon folks...go for it

foss

1/ When viewing a recorded file, pressing the number keys will let you hop into the file at the percentage you put in...IE pressing 7 and 5 will start the viewing from 75 % way through the file.

2/ when setting the times in timer recording, to save holding down the > or < key you can type in the numbers and its much faster.Thanks Tony.

3/ don't forget to use the 30 second yellow button to fast forward through the ads...I find that during normal programing, 8 pushes with a short wait seems to be about right for our primetime up here....don't forget to clear the book marks by pressing yellow and then right away green...then that bookmark is removed...as great as the bookmarks are, the 30 second time advance will only work if there are no bookmarks...what I normally do to remove old bookmarks is to set a current bookmark and then press yellow then green and that removes an older bookmark...then I remove the current bookmark the same way...then I am free to do the 30 second advance

===========================================================

FROM TIMMY

Press the white button during PIP to change the channel in the PIP window.

FROM BARCODE

Press and hold the tick [blue] button for fast rewind, single press is 10 secs rewind.

Hold it down, and it hides all image except for the time counter and rewinds faster than the normal 3x.

(COMMENT....I think what is happening with this suggestion is multiple registering of the button request because on my box it keeps going backward in time after lifting the finger off the tick button...foss)===========================================================

FROM TONY

I know it is in the manual, but is easily missed (right down there at the bottom of the page... I mean who reads what the "0" key does, right??)

0 Key: Toggles 16:9/4:3 Center Cut/4:3 Letterbox

And another tip (sorry forgot who mentioned it):

When recording by hitting the record button, hit it again to bring up the recording information page, and then you can alter the recording length (of shitty 2 hours default... would be so nice to make that 3 hours, or non-stop even perhaps?)

I think a user defined default would be the way to go here because many folks have their own special requirements...foss

UHF key opens my nice "Info Display" Tap.... you all uploaded it to your autostart folder didn't you ;-)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/tony_h/topfield/infodisplay5.zip

FROM PEPPER

Tip 1

When viewing the EPG guide, you use the four colour buttons as part of the EPG menu shown on the screen.

By accident, I found when you are still in the EPG,

PRESS <i> under the 9 key, and a large screen pops up with larger fonts showing pages 1 and 2 together.

Very easy to read than the smaller fonts in the EPG.

Tip 2

When you call up the file menu on the screen and you have a lot of files.

Normally; you press <+P> and <-P> to scroll up/down the file list in single steps and press <OK> to play the file.

You can use <-V> and <+V>, the highlighted file is on top of the page,

Press <+V> the bottom file of the first page is highlighted.

Press <+V> again, the 2nd page, you are at the top.

Press <+V> again, you are at the bottom of the second page.

I think the <+V><-V> is something like a "fast" file find function.

While playing back files, you can play them in an infinite loop.

Press the <white> key once.

The info bar comes up with the green play triangle.

Press the <white> key twice.

A small gold loop icon shows up just above the green play triangle.

Also, the <i> key shows the playback status - same as the <white> key.

====================================================

From Bruise

How to go quickly to the start of the timeshift buffer?

I don't know about the timeshift buffer (I don't use it much) but if I've watched half a file and want to crop off the beginning (ta foss), I do a bookmark (green) and press "1" which rewinds to 1%, then, when I hit play to bring up the progress bar, I haven't got far to rewind to the beginning.

It's a shame the buttons over red & blue don't work.

=====================================================

From Koops,

Something else I found (i think this was mentioned by someone else previously also).

When recording on 1 or two tuners press the "ok" button.

It will list the channels that you can switch to without stopping the recording on that tuner. Press the red button to switch between tuners

=====================================================

EPG tip

As the EPG only shows the "next" program, you can still use the EPG for recording purposes.

If the program is a weekly/or daily, you can reserve it and later on change the timer settings from a "one time recording" to weekly/weekdays/daily type.

This way to can still be lazy by not manually entering all the important EPG details on you recordings.

Pep

If I am timeshifting, I use the PiP mode to check what is on the other stations. You can change the PiP channel when PiP is open by hitting the white key (from memory) - or it could be the tick... anyway it will popup a menu with stations... just choose and hit OK and it will change the channel of the tuner in the small PiP window, without effecting the timeshift buffer.

Regards,

Shane.

While playing back files, you can play them in an infinite loop.

Press the <white> key once.

The info bar comes up with the green play triangle.

Press the <white> key twice.

A small gold loop icon shows up just above the green play triangle.

Also, the <i> key shows the playback status - same as the <white> key.

Pep

ok well. I've had some time to play around with the machine.

Everything is pretty straight forward. The manual (people are going to call me crazy) is actually pretty easy to understand.

Many of the tips above are actually already in the manual (I may possibly have a newer revision manual perhaps?).

Yes Koops,

Most of the tips are there....And I did know all of them apart from the entering of numbers to save left or right button presses in Timer settings time adjustment...

Basically this thread is to reinforce some points for those folk like me who subscribe to this theory...me included..."If all else fails...read the manual"...when I had reached the limits of commonsense fiddling which took about 1/2 a day, I read the manual...

Reading this might jog peoples memory re certain features they had forgotten about, and I was hoping for some that I did not know about.

The Manual might have been rewritten, but I doubt it.

foss

quickly to the start of the timeshift buffer?

I don't know about the timeshift buffer (I don't use it much) but if I've watched half a file and want to crop off the beginning (ta foss), I do a bookmark (green) and press "1" which rewinds to 1%, then, when I hit play to bring up the progress bar, I haven't got far to rewind to the beginning.

BTW. Why do we hit white to delete a recorded file

and green to delete a timer entry?

A bit of consistency please !!

Thanks god i wasn't the only one trying to figure that one out!

Another tip I found when trawling for stuff for the minifaq link thread.

"Wolf Posted: Jan 7 2004, 01:39 PM

I can't see why the timeshift has to be switched on. I have it disabled and if I have to answer the phone or go for a pee I simply press the pose button. After I come back I press play and off it goes. Pressing play again provides the timer bare where I can go back and forth."

Basically if you don't use the timeshift buffer you can still get the benefits if it when required by just pressing "pause".

That's fine, but pause can not do the following sort of thing:

1) Start watching a program, say - the news.

2) Halfway through a news story you realise a friend would be interested in seeing it.

3) Skip back to the beginning of the news item

4) Press record.

5) Show friend the story at a later date.

Vermin: Yes I realise this and thats why I keep timeshift enabled :blink:

But, it was a "feature" that I hadn't seen anyway but in my case doesn't apply.

Something else I found (i think this was mentioned by someone else previously also).

When recording on 1 or two tuners press the "ok" button.

It will list the channels that you can switch to without stopping the recording on that tuner. Press the red button to switch between tuners.

EPG tip

As the EPG only shows the "next" program, you can still use the EPG for recording purposes.

If the program is a weekly/or daily, you can reserve it and later on change the timer settings from a "one time recording" to weekly/weekdays/daily type.

This way to can still be lazy by not manually entering all the important EPG details on you recordings.

Pep

So guys, its been 3 months since this was done and unless I missed a newer one I don't think there has been any follow up.

Hence, over the past 3 months (and maybe one or two firmware updates), has anyone learned any new tips/tricks :blink:

you probably know this, but it handy to know so I'll say it again here...

.......I found something just now that I'm sure must have been mentioned before but I forgot, but I will put it here anyway, and that is when marking something for cutting or saving from a point on the file...after pressing the >|< key to start the marking process, instead of going from that point slowly back or forward to the start or end of the file with the normal << or >> key, if you use the |< key to the start or the >| key to the end, it jumps there instantly....and saves holding the << or >> key.

foss

yup, think I've seen you meation that some place else, still nice to pull it all into one place.

Besides, with a lot of new toppy owners lately, I figured pulling this thread back to the top for it bit wouldn't hurt.

Now I just need to stop watching and start playing arounding and trying a few of these tips :blink:

If you use the |< key to the start or the >| key to the end, it jumps there instantly....and saves holding the << or >> key.

foss

Thanks Foss

No more >>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,>>,

My batteries in my remote can last a bit longer now.

Pep

Yeah Pep...I thought I knew every function the

Toppy had to offer...wrong...I came across it by accident...pressed the wrong key in the dark....

I'm likely to edit more now...and its especially good if you have recorded 2 movies and watched one...it's real easy to dump the first movie from that point forward or back, or the second one if you watched it first...where as before I would not bother because of the key holding etc....or if you do a 6 hour recording and want to dump 4 hours after picking the bones out of it and save a movie, it is very easy using the |< and >| key after marking with the >|< key.

foss

It seems that this unit is missing a feature I can not live without - playing back a timer recording while it is still recording. I can find no way to do it. Surely it can right????

It seems that this unit is missing a feature I can not live without - playing back a timer recording while it is still recording. I can find no way to do it. Surely it can right????

Yes. Open the file list and select the recording you want to play, I think the filename is coloured light blue if it is still recording. Or change the channel to the channel you want to watch and rewind.