Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fletch

TAPS and Topfield TF5000PVRt

358 posts in this topic

Hi,

Just recently got my Toppy and I love it ! I upgraded to the new firmware last night without any problems. i have seen mention of TAP programs on these boards. Just wondering if there are any "Must have" taps to install ? I have installed the modified Signal strength only so far

Cheers

Fletch

JasonBB is spot on.

The other TAPS are for Toppies other than the TF5000PVRt and they won't work.

The ONLY stuff available for it is

1. TFD USB DOWNLOAD (sends new firmware)

2. Any new firmware as required.

3. ALTAIR (transfers other stuff to/from PC, such as recorded files, mp3s, TAPs, jpgs)

4. Signal strength TAP (Displays signal strength & quality)

5. Slide show TAP (Displays jpgs)

One guy has evolved "Signal strength" into "InfoDisplay" which displays a whole pack of other info as well. Version 5 is the latest.

Someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me I'm wrong

and that there's spit-loads out there. :blink:

The only other TAP I've seen is Doom (yes - the old PC game). It's very slow and IMHO only worth it for novelty value (or proving that there's a CPU in there).

When I go to the software for the TF5000PVRt on the Korean web site:

http://work.irkudos.co.kr/product_e/pr_fir...word=TF5000PVRt

It comes up with some samples for the TF5000PVR ("TAP_Applications_for_TF5000PVR.zip").

Will they work with the TF5000PVRt?

I'll have a go tonight when I get home unless anyone else has allready tried and can report that they do not work.

V.

When I go to the software for the TF5000PVRt on the Korean web site:

http://work.irkudos.co.kr/product_e/pr_fir...word=TF5000PVRt

It comes up with some samples for the TF5000PVR ("TAP_Applications_for_TF5000PVR.zip").

Will they work with the TF5000PVRt?

I'll have a go tonight when I get home unless anyone else has allready tried and can report that they do not work.

V.

Yep they work.

Well, I've worked out how to ues the following anyway:

Plasma (ooh pretty)

Gif shower (sample gifs are rude)

Pacman

Logo

Menu sound (nasty "click" though)

None are particularly exciting.

V.

The only 2 taps are signal strength and slide show, both available from the Topfield website. :blink:

Not true. Apart from the sample TAPs listed just above, there are also other very functional TAPs for the TF5000PVR (which uses the same TAPs as the TF5000PVR-T) available on German and Dutch (I think) web sites.

http://www.marcwinter.net/topfield/TAPs.htm

There is even a "TAP Commander" library (which all new TAP developers should use) which allows you to manage multiple TAPs at once.

http://www.field.de/Topfield/

I personally intend writing a TAP to mask the stupid white lines which appear above and below certain channels when in letter box mode.

The only trouble is that my Loewe TV had a problem with it's power supply this morning, so I can't do anything until it gets fixed on Wednesday next week!

-- Rod

I personally intend writing a TAP to mask the stupid white lines which appear above and below certain channels when in letter box mode.

Good idea! Can't wait to see that TAP, Rod. I'll be happy to beta test that for you.

Donald

What lines are those? Are they the channel timing or something lines?

I even see them from channel 10 on my old analog sony tv.

With the TAP applications you can only provide additional funcionality and not modify the current firmware behaviour right?

I had a quick look at the TAP examples and they don't seem that hard as they all just use built in API functions. It has been a few years since i've done any c programming though.

Maybe we need to setup a little list of "Most wanted TAPs" and then farm them out to willing users to develop. I'd personally have a shot at it.

The only 2 taps are signal strength and slide show, both available from the Topfield website. :P

Not true. Apart from the sample TAPs listed just above, there are also other very functional TAPs for the TF5000PVR (which uses the same TAPs as the TF5000PVR-T) available on German and Dutch (I think) web sites.

http://www.marcwinter.net/topfield/TAPs.htm

There is even a "TAP Commander" library (which all new TAP developers should use) which allows you to manage multiple TAPs at once.

http://www.field.de/Topfield/

The only trouble is that my Loewe TV had a problem with it's power supply this morning, so I can't do anything until it gets fixed on Wednesday next week!

-- Rod

Ah cool! Our very own programmer! :blink:

Here's a TAP I'd like to see:

Input a list of key words that a TSR TAP searches the EPG for and automatically records to a specified directory.

The use of logical opperators (AND OR NOT) would be handy too.

Example list:

Simpsons

Futurama

Documentary

Astronomy

Science

NOT Astrology

Cartoon AND NOT PowerPuff

etc...

It couold record allot of rubbish, but regular checking of the destination directory should enable refineing of the search list.

It would not be able to be used during use of two tuners (PIP or recording one channel and watching another) due to the fact that it would have to scan the channel list with one tuner. However I see the main use of this TAP being for when you are not watching TV.

Some sort of scan period control that takes note of the how far ahead the last scan went on each channels EPG would enable efficient use of resources too.

The major drawback is the lack of EPG info available yet (here at least ).

V.

Vermin: Sounds very tivo-ish :blink: It would be a brilliant addition if, as you said we had reliable (or existant in your case) EPG's.

Vermin: Sounds very tivo-ish :blink: It would be a brilliant addition if, as you said we had reliable (or existant in your case) EPG's.

I think the tivo automatically records the types of programs that it notices you watch often?

I suppose this could be done too!

A manually entered keyword search list would be easyer though.

I have done some C programming (ages and ages ago), and if no-one picks this idea up soon, I may have to dust off the old text books.

Might even be worth emailing Topfield (Korea) with the idea of including it in the firmware, as this could be a major sales gimmick.

V.

In Regional Queensland there is no EPG on any of the commercial channels, and when I have inquired about it they say they have no idea when it will be in place.

They just don't care if Digital TV happens or not...

The ABC and SBS have EPG and I can set recording from those EPG listings, but it is only a couple of programs in advance.

There is no reason for me to have any more than one broadcast stream from each network at the moment...I delete all other channels and channel select with the up down buttons on the RCU, because the secondary channels supply nothing different than the primary channel...

The sooner Digital TV is taken seriously by the various networks the better off we will all be.

foss

Would it be possible for a tap to be written that automatically cuts out ads while its recording? That'd be awesome. It'd have to somehow be able to detect ads from television though :/

Kieran

Happy. Other Toppy TAPs do work on the PVRt.

Happy. There are more than I thought out there.

Sad. Some seize my box (my first ever)

Sad. The rest are crap.

Happy Valentines, all.

I got a T-shirt and a root.

Both were two sizes too big.

Happy Valentines, all.

I got a T-shirt and a root.

Both were two sizes too big.

I probably wouldn't repeat that to her. :blink:

Would it be possible for a tap to be written that automatically cuts out ads while its recording?

I can't think of any way the Toppy could distinguish between program content and advertisements.

V.

Is the Tivo able to cut out ads? I was under the impression it could, but I'm probly wrong. If it can it must be possible in some way or another

Guys/Gals, I would suggest reading the Toppy API before going all gun-ho into thinking you can write TAPs to do anything.

If you look at the TAP API, you will see that it does a lot of writing to screen and information display stuff, and that is almost it. It won't record or set timers, it won't get rid of the channel 10 MPEG encoded VBI junk (the stations shouldn't be encoding this line, it only serves to lower the avail bandwidth slightly).

It is a work in progress judging by that german site, and I think requires lots of people to request features before even a hope of it being way more useful happens. Ages ago someone here wanted to set timer events based on a PC getting an XML TV guide (the USB interface to the PC is Ok, but the timer events or even a simple "start recording now" event don't exist), and discovered that this isn't possible with the current API.

Unless someone can work out how to "force" a hitting of the record button (the API can intercept any remote keystroke, but I don't believe it can "pretend" a key has been hit, certainly it would be an undocumented feature if it did).

Regards

One way to get rid of ads is to make use of the fact that the station never superimposes the station ID (WIN logo for example) on the Ad.

The Ad owners don't wont their expensive ads obscured by a big ugly network logo. Go take a look now.

Not sure how you would do it though. An application to look for the absence of the Ad??