Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fossil

TOPPY TIPS

28 posts in this topic

Ok...what I will endeavor to do is edit this thread to keep the tips posted below in one post...To start with, the number keys can be used in several circumstances....I haven't fiddled any more than what I have below.

Any explanation of poorly detailed manual information would be appreciated

I'm sure there are many more, so c'mon folks...go for it

foss

1/ When viewing a recorded file, pressing the number keys will let you hop into the file at the percentage you put in...IE pressing 7 and 5 will start the viewing from 75 % way through the file.

2/ when setting the times in timer recording, to save holding down the > or < key you can type in the numbers and its much faster.Thanks Tony.

3/ don't forget to use the 30 second yellow button to fast forward through the ads...I find that during normal programing, 8 pushes with a short wait seems to be about right for our primetime up here....don't forget to clear the book marks by pressing yellow and then right away green...then that bookmark is removed...as great as the bookmarks are, the 30 second time advance will only work if there are no bookmarks...what I normally do to remove old bookmarks is to set a current bookmark and then press yellow then green and that removes an older bookmark...then I remove the current bookmark the same way...then I am free to do the 30 second advance

===========================================================

FROM TIMMY

Press the white button during PIP to change the channel in the PIP window.

FROM BARCODE

Press and hold the tick [blue] button for fast rewind, single press is 10 secs rewind.

Hold it down, and it hides all image except for the time counter and rewinds faster than the normal 3x.

(COMMENT....I think what is happening with this suggestion is multiple registering of the button request because on my box it keeps going backward in time after lifting the finger off the tick button...foss)===========================================================

FROM TONY

I know it is in the manual, but is easily missed (right down there at the bottom of the page... I mean who reads what the "0" key does, right??)

0 Key: Toggles 16:9/4:3 Center Cut/4:3 Letterbox

And another tip (sorry forgot who mentioned it):

When recording by hitting the record button, hit it again to bring up the recording information page, and then you can alter the recording length (of shitty 2 hours default... would be so nice to make that 3 hours, or non-stop even perhaps?)

I think a user defined default would be the way to go here because many folks have their own special requirements...foss

UHF key opens my nice "Info Display" Tap.... you all uploaded it to your autostart folder didn't you ;-)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/tony_h/topfield/infodisplay5.zip

FROM PEPPER

Tip 1

When viewing the EPG guide, you use the four colour buttons as part of the EPG menu shown on the screen.

By accident, I found when you are still in the EPG,

PRESS <i> under the 9 key, and a large screen pops up with larger fonts showing pages 1 and 2 together.

Very easy to read than the smaller fonts in the EPG.

Tip 2

When you call up the file menu on the screen and you have a lot of files.

Normally; you press <+P> and <-P> to scroll up/down the file list in single steps and press <OK> to play the file.

You can use <-V> and <+V>, the highlighted file is on top of the page,

Press <+V> the bottom file of the first page is highlighted.

Press <+V> again, the 2nd page, you are at the top.

Press <+V> again, you are at the bottom of the second page.

I think the <+V><-V> is something like a "fast" file find function.

3/ don't forget to use the 30 second yellow button to fast forward through the ads...I find that during normal programs, 8 pushes with a short wait seems to be about right....

Depends entirely on the hour, obviously eight pushes is needed during peak prime time, but for programmes recorded at other times the breaks are usually shorter (and less predictable).

I knew about theses ones, tho.

How about:

Press the white button during PIP to change the channel in the PIP window. It would be better if the Ch+/Ch- button just surfed through the PIP channels when in PIP mode, however. It's on the wishlist.

Press and hold the tick [blue] button for fast rewind, single press is 10 secs rewind.

Hold it down, and it hides all image except for the time counter and rewinds faster than the normal 3x.

I love my little toppy, and i've only had it three days.

=================================================

(COMMENT....I think what is happening with this suggestion is multiple registering of the button request because on my box it keeps going backward in time after lifting the finger off the tick button...foss)

=================================================

Your right it does not seem to work in VCR mode only when rewinding broadcast (time slip) or what ever its called

I know it is in the manual, but is easily missed (right down there at the bottom of the page... I mean who reads what the "0" key does, right??)

0 Key: Toggles 16:9/4:3 Center Cut/4:3 Letterbox

And another tip (sorry forgot who mentioned it):

When recording by hitting the record button, hit it again to bring up the recording information page, and then you can alter the recording length (of shitty 2 hours default... would be so nice to make that 3 hours, or non-stop even perhaps?)

UHF key opens my nice "Info Display" Tap.... you all uploaded it to your autostart folder didn't you ;-)

http://users.bigpond.net.au/tony_h/topfield/infodisplay5.zip

Cheers

#3 is too erratic.

If in play mode, press play again. The yellow timer bare pops up. Press the fast forward or backward. That gives a percentage- and minute increment.

(If you good with calculations like me, then you use that as a fast forward. :blink: )

Ch 36 NBN @ 2.96 Gig/hr = 25.8 hrs

Ch 37 ABC @ 3.03 Gig/hr = 25.2 hrs

Ch 38 SBS @ 2.13 Gig/hr = 35.8 hrs

Ch 51 NRTV @ 2.79 Gig/hr = 27.4 hrs

Ch 53 Prime @ 3.59 Gig/hr = 21.2 hrs

Average @ 2.90 Gig/hr = 26.3 hrs

Topfield TF5000PVRt

100+ samples, 34min to 130min each,

VERY low variance between readings,

Mt Sugarloaf / Newcastle / NSW

#3 is too erratic.

If in play mode, press play again. The yellow timer bare pops up. Press the fast forward or backward. That gives a percentage- and minute increment.

(If you good with calculations like me, then you use that as a fast forward.  :blink: )

Hi Wolf,

Can't see the problem with #3

Each press advances exactly 30 seconds and is by far the quickest and easiest way to advance short periods....8 quick presses which takes less than 3 seconds advances it exactly 4 minutes (which is about my prime time ad period...) and this works in file play or recording play and pressing 8 times or however many times/minutes you think the ads are running at, is quicker than pressing play and guessing the percentage of the recorded file, especially as there is no mini window in the recording file viewing...remember, that file can be anything from 1 minute to 20 hours or more...on longer files the play press and hold only advances in 1 minute increments,

If I need to go forward much more than 5 minutes I use your method.

foss

I find that #3 reverses back to zero erratically, which is a pain in the neck as one looses the spot one is watching. Perhaps that is due to the fact that, if one is short and presses again, it gets its knickers in the twist.

:blink:

yes Wolf...that is true, but knowing the average ad break helps and stopping just short seems the best for me...everyone will have their own finely tuned way to skip ads....It certainly would be much easier to do it your way if there was a mini window under the play bar in recording/recorded file mode as there is in the timeshift mode..... I'm hoping for that in the next firmware update.

foss

OK, I found out why #3, or the yellow button is erratic. (or at least I think I found out)

Seeing that the yellow button is actually designed to find a bookmark which is placed along the timeline, one press will advance it to the next mark. If that bookmark is the only one the line and at the beginning, then it will jump to that point. If however there is no bookmark at all, then it is flabbergasted and will search in tiny steps forward, and that's what can be used to advance trough a recording.

(I put in for a spare remote control before the all start cuing up. (Jai, please get a box full!))

:blink:

Ah...yes..I will make a note of that on the post....it's just something I always do...and that is get rid of bookmarks...don't forget to clear the book marks by pressing yellow and then right away green...then that bookmark is removed...as great as the bookmarks are, the 30 second time advance will only work if there are no bookmarks...what I normally do to remove old bookmarks is to set a current bookmark and then press yellow then green and that removes an older bookmark...then I remove the current bookmark the same way...then I am free to do the 30 second advance

Ch 36 NBN @ 2.96 Gig/hr = 25.8 hrs

Ch 37 ABC @ 3.03 Gig/hr = 25.2 hrs

Ch 38 SBS @ 2.13 Gig/hr = 35.8 hrs

Ch 51 NRTV @ 2.79 Gig/hr = 27.4 hrs

Ch 53 Prime @ 3.59 Gig/hr = 21.2 hrs

Average @ 2.90 Gig/hr = 26.3 hrs

Topfield TF5000PVRt

100+ samples, 34min to 130min each,

VERY low variance between readings,

Mt Sugarloaf / Newcastle / NSW

Geeeez...don't you get off light....

hmmm

Ch 7 ....4.68gig per hour

Ch 2 ....3.65gig per hour

SBS...about 3gig per hour,

and Ch 10....2.68gig per hour

We don't have Ch 9 here yet

I have not averaged more than 19-20 hours per disk full yet!!!!

Bring on the 160-200 gig drive!!!!!

foss

Nambour on the Sunshine Coast....

The TV stations don't really care two hoots about Digital TV up here.

Ch 9 keeps putting the date back,

The commercial channels have no EPG!!!

and to top it off, channel 7 have been offline for 3 days!!!!this is the 3rd time in 4 weeks that 7 has been off line for more than 2 days.!!

The last time they were offline they did not even know it, because another broadcast took over and their fault detection amounted to looking at the digital screen as they walked past....I was originally told that there was nothing wrong because they had a picture, so I said to check it while I was waiting, and he had to admit that there was no signal from the Dulong tower...what an admission to make!

Can you clarify the EPG thing? Many people use this term interchangebly with the Video Program Guide and true Digital EPG. If we ever *do* get true digital EPG, it will mean being able to press one button on the toppy to set the timer up to record that program.

Sydney has now/next (which is a subset of EPG I suppose) on all channels, although noticed on the weekend that it seems broken for SBS occassionally (now program is about 3 hours ago) and the tennis seemed to break 7s now/next sometimes.

7,9 and SBS have a video program guide, although SBS sux because it has a bunch of other stuff in it and you have to wait (also the colours and resolution look crap) and 9s doesn't have any audio (seems to be a common problem for many STBs for 9s video prog guide audio).

Regards

Nambour on the Sunshine Coast....

The TV stations don't really care two hoots about Digital TV up here.

Ch 9 keeps putting the date back,

and to top it off, channel 7 have been offline for 3 days!!!!this is the 3rd time in 4 weeks that 7 has been off line for more than 2 days.!!

The last time they were offline they did not even know it, because another broadcast took over and their fault detection amounted to looking at the digital screen as they walked past....I was originally told that there was nothing wrong because they had a picture, so I said to check it while I was waiting, and he had to admit that there was no signal from the Dulong tower...what an admission to make!

Fossil,

I can't believe Channel 7 were not aware that they have been offline for days, Channel 9 does not know what day it is (chuckle..chuckle) and the non EPG....

Why don't you complain to the ABA!!

Never encountered any of your problems from my area, the Syd metro.

Pep

Can you clarify the EPG thing? Many people use this term interchangebly with the Video Program Guide and true Digital EPG. If we ever *do* get true digital EPG, it will mean being able to press one button on the toppy to set the timer up to record that program.

Sydney has now/next (which is a subset of EPG I suppose) on all channels, although noticed on the weekend that it seems broken for SBS occassionally (now program is about 3 hours ago) and the tennis seemed to break 7s now/next sometimes.

7,9 and SBS have a video program guide, although SBS sux because it has a bunch of other stuff in it and you have to wait (also the colours and resolution look crap) and 9s doesn't have any audio (seems to be a common problem for many STBs for 9s video prog guide audio).

Regards

Tony,

there is not even any program information when pressing info, let alone pressing guide for channels 7 and 10....for example Ch 7 always says 6pm news

SBS & ABC have a guide that will set the timer accurately when doing as you say in the guide area....press one button and that program is reserved in the timer record area

foss

Can You believe this....just rang Ch 7 and they did not know that they were offline....3 days!!!!...am I the only one in Nambour who cares!!!

I got the same story as last time...they did not know!!

IT'S FUNNY HOW THREADS WANDER OFF ONTO OTHER TOPICS, AND I WAS GUILTY MORE THAN ANYONE....LETS TRY TO KEEP THIS THREAD FOR TIPS...BUT THATS NOT AN ORDER...LOLOL

FOSS

PS ...I just rang Ch7 back after getting the name of the technical director at Ch 7 at Maroochydore (from Brisbane who very neatly passed the buck ) and after some waiting I got that he er... was not available...would I like to leave a message...yeah...like he would ring me...lol

Tip 1

When viewing the EPG guide, you use the four colour buttons as part of the EPG menu shown on the screen.

By accident, I found when you are still in the EPG,

PRESS <i> under the 9 key, and a large screen pops up with larger fonts showing pages 1 and 2 together.

Very easy to read than the smaller fonts in the EPG.

Tip 2

When you call up the file menu on the screen and you have a lot of files.

Normally; you press <+P> and <-P> to scroll up/down the file list in single steps and press <OK> to play the file.

You can use <-V> and <+V>, the highlighted file is on top of the page,

Press <+V> the bottom file of the first page is highlighted.

Press <+V> again, the 2nd page, you are at the top.

Press <+V> again, you are at the bottom of the second page.

I think the <+V><-V> is something like a "fast" file find function.

How about:

Press the white button during PIP to change the channel in the PIP window. It would be better if the Ch+/Ch- button just surfed through the PIP channels when in PIP mode, however. It's on the wishlist.

Have a look at the SubSwitch TAP located here

TAPs auf dem TF5000

How about:

Have a look at the SubSwitch TAP located here

TAPs auf dem TF5000

That is awesome, just checked out the code for it (can't use my Toppy from the other side of the planet), and I didn't realise that "channel_move" actually changed channels, I thought it moved your channel order around!!

I can't wait to try it, and it has stimulated thought on how to get rid of the whitelines on the screen for those of you with 4:3 only TVs (by simply painting black lines over the picture, which is entirely possible!).

Where do you guys find the TAPs from, I researched (a little) a couple of months ago, and could find *very* little?