Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Blackman

Dynamic Range Conversion Output

33 posts in this topic

Last night I tested the Start for 5 UHD Movies and 2 off them came up with Dynamic Range Conversion Output message on the Panasonic DMP UB 900.

So in simple what does it all mean?

Compliments of hdtvtest

For that reason, we appreciate the fact that the Panasonic UB900 signals its output format to the user. When we first tried the DMPUB900 on an LG G6 OLED, the display did not correctly signal to the player that it was capable of the full-fat UHD, HDR signal, and the Panasonic DMP-UB900 output a downconverted SDR signal accordingly. Under these circumstances, the UB900 will inform the user with the message “Dynamic Range Conversion Output” appearing on-screen. We greatly appreciated this feature for troubleshooting purposes.

LG later fixed the interoperability issues with a firmware update, causing the player to report “HDR Output” instead, assuring us that we were now getting the real deal. The results of the current UHD HDR Blu-ray titles were impressive, with the higher brightness, wide colour gamut, and in some cases, better resolution being apparent. We noticed some digital anomalies such as light banding (in the case of The Martian) and compression artefacts (although nothing that would degrade the picture to that of streaming quality). The Revenant, for example, has some compression artefacts in its more frenetic handheld camera scenes, although owed to the camerawork, you’d likely have to pause playback in order to see them. Regardless, its high resolution, excellent cinematography and high dynamic range still make it visually appealing.

If you cast your mind back to the first Blu-ray Disc titles in 2006, you’ll remember that most of these presented some quite severe issues (the reason for which could be an article in itself). In comparison, the first UHD BD titles are considerably more polished, albeit imperfect. At the NAB 2016 show in Las Vegas, we were informed that this partly relates to the still-evolving workflow for producing these titles, and the lack of scene-specific picture quality adjustments in the HEVC encoder being used for compression, which makes manual tweaking of specific scenes a laborious task for disc authors.

Regardless, it’s an impressive first showing, marred by the fact that the majority of users may not even be getting the picture they paid for due to their TV’s inability to automatically engage the correct HDMI interfacing functions. The production tools will get better, and we hope that display device manufacturers improve the ease of use, too.

Dynamic Range Conversion Output? does it only happen to Panasonic Players to warn owners that they are not getting the best of UHD picture to watch on their TV all because the Tv wont do it or is not capable of doing it although it should be. What do you think. I Trian testing Martian last nigh and I get the same Message Dynamic Range Conversion Output followed by a HDR Message

The New LG 86 SJ957T. I'm not fully compreheand this due to my issues via the Stroke. Is the Panasonic DMP UB 900 give me a hint that the LG is not giving 100% of what I should have via the UHD movie. of Is this the LG's fault and the LG is masking the Issue of giving me a False HDR symbol when it not Fully that the disc can give me.

What I need to do is take a Photo because I Forget Very quickly what the Panasonic tells me Via the Info found on by pressing the PLAYBACK INFO and see how movies differ

1 hour ago, Blackman said:

What I need to do is take a Photo because I Forget Very quickly what the Panasonic tells me Via the Info found on by pressing the PLAYBACK INFO and see how movies differ

Blackman it sounds like the TV isn't recognising some discs as HDR enabled. Is your TV's firmware up to date? I see there's a nearly 800Mb update from 7 April on LG's local site.

I am not seeing the Conversion output on the UB900 and either the Sony ZD9 or the JVC X9500. 

In some TVs, the HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0 is implemented on some but not all the HDMI inputs so it might be worth checking if that's the case with your LG. On paper, the LG is definitely capable of the full HDR implementation. 

3 hours ago, Quark said:

Blackman it sounds like the TV isn't recognising some discs as HDR enabled. Is your TV's firmware up to date? I see there's a nearly 800Mb update from 7 April on LG's local site.

Yes!

If you look at my other post you will see that I had a issue with the New LG suffering with grey black lines when watching a 2.39 movie. Now after this I downloaded the Latest Firmware and it fixes this issue with the Backlight. Nothing said about Disk Compatible issues. If I remember correctly the Firmware was dated the 7/4/2017

Yes out of 8 disk I tested 4 now comes up with the message Dynamic Range Conversion Output.

Planet Earth Is Ok and it come with High Dynamic Range and It SPARKLING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Blackman

2 hours ago, doggiehowser said:

I am not seeing the Conversion output on the UB900 and either the Sony ZD9 or the JVC X9500. 

In some TVs, the HDCP2.2/HDMI2.0 is implemented on some but not all the HDMI inputs so it might be worth checking if that's the case with your LG. On paper, the LG is definitely capable of the full HDR implementation. 

I have Deep Colours set for my 2 out of 4 Inputs Butttttt, I maybe should not have it enable it on the Oppo 103D 1080 P player that I use for Upscaling to 4K.

All 4 HDMI inputs are capable off DEEP Colour

Edited by Blackman

32 minutes ago, Blackman said:

Yes!

If you look at my other post you will see that I had a issue with the New LG suffering with grey black lines when watching a 2.39 movie. Now after this I downloaded the Latest Firmware and it fixes this issue with the Backlight. Nothing said about Disk Compatible issues. If I remember correctly the Firmware was dated the 7/4/2017

Yes out of 8 disk I tested 4 now comes up with the message Dynamic Range Conversion Output.

Planet Earth Is Ok and it come with High Dynamic Range and It SPARKLING GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, you may need to contact LG support with details of which discs (including whether local or overseas versions) aren't recognised as HDR (and mention that some are being recognised as this would seem to exclude an issue with settings). Sounds like another firmware update may be needed.

33 minutes ago, Blackman said:

I have Deep Colours set for my 2 out of 4 Inputs Butttttt, I maybe should not have it enable it on the Oppo 103D 1080 P player that I use for Upscaling to 4K.

All 4 HDMI inputs are capable off DEEP Colour

Just checking your dmp ub900 is on the latest firmware 1.73 Blackman ; it received an option to set the colour space to 10 or 12 bit ; as Al mentions here

Try the 10 bit setting ; that's your panels native colour space. You certainly don't want the DRC conversion on ;)

Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment When connected to a TV that does not support HDR (High Dynamic Range), this unit outputs normal dynamic range signals that are converted from HDR image signals. In this case, set the maximum image contrast. If you set a smaller value, their contrast will be reproduced more faithfully, but the entire screen will appear darker. To increase the brightness, set a larger value.

Hopefully this isn't a bandwidth issue but if theres no change do what  Quark says :)

Edited by cwt

I don't get that message on my PANA to Samsung SUHD display.
Pop up box says HDR disc is playing and if you check info it shows REC.2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right!

I did some investigation with my camera as my brain forget things before I leave the Lounge room and I tested 7 Movies AGAIN and this time i found that 3 off them to have "Dynamic Range Conversion Output".  Now of all these Movies 7 movies 6 of them were the FAKE 4K (real and Fake 4k) and one Planet Earth was the only Real 4K.

What I found

All of the 7 Movies regarding if they come up with HDR High Dynamic Range or Dynamic Range Conversion Output all had the same Specification  when pressing The Panasonic DMP UB900 playback info button. Yes they the 7 off them had the same specification going in and going out to the LG.

It a Pity that the damm LG has not got an Info button so I can really check whats going into and being accepted and used by the LG

The Below I have four Photo and they are TWO "Planet Earth 2" from the REAL 4k family and TWO "Start Trek Beyond" from the Fake 4K Family and you will find that the both movies have the Same Specs but mysteriously the fake ones come up with "Dynamic Range Conversion Output"..

Planet Earth 

DSC01985_zps3m5znq9x.jpg

Planet Earth Specification Via the Panna

DSC01986_zpsnnn0pkj4.jpg

Star Trek Beyond Is a Fake 4k with its message Dynamic Range Conversion Output

DSC02000_zps3iaclyxj.jpg

Star Trek Beyond Is a Fake 4k but has the Same Specs of Planet Earth but comes up with "Dynamic Range Conversion Output"

DSC02001_zpsdryivucq.jpg

17 hours ago, cwt said:

Just checking your dmp ub900 is on the latest firmware 1.73 Blackman ; it received an option to set the colour space to 10 or 12 bit ; as Al mentions here

Try the 10 bit setting ; that's your panels native colour space. You certainly don't want the DRC conversion on ;)

Hopefully this isn't a bandwidth issue but if theres no change do what  Quark says :)

Yes I download the Latest Firmware for the TV and the Panasonic 900 . I think it was the 1.73 and it gave me the 10 0r 12 bit Priority stuff. I left it on 12 Bit.

I will change my setting on the pana from 12bit to 10 bit

Edited by Blackman

Well This is another one Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Well The LG 86SJ957T played it back at the Exact setting as I watch POXY Free To Air TV. I had to manually change it to my ISF Dark Room settings as it though it was SDR. Have a Look below

The Dynamic Range Conversion Output Message again

DSC02005_zpsbyzupbbr.jpg

The 4k Movie at SDR BT.709

DSC02006_zpsgq3exy62.jpg

depends how long is the cable ? using the pana supplied one ? from the pana ? what cable goes to the display and how long.

also have you checked specifically on avs in the owners thread on specific setting for your display ? as know wiht the LG oled there are quite specific settings recommended ...

Well This is another one Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. Well The LG 86SJ957T played it back at the Exact setting as I watch POXY Free To Air TV. I had to manually change it to my ISF Dark Room settings as it though it was SDR. Have a Look below

The Dynamic Range Conversion Output Message again

DSC02005_zpsbyzupbbr.jpg

The 4k Movie at SDR BT.709

DSC02006_zpsgq3exy62.jpg

That's not right Blackman. I'm pretty sure this is the highest speced UHD released

Blackman one thing you haven't mentioned  [or I missed it ] - and just to be thorough before we start to blame your hdmi as we know you haven't fed them through your avr so you have heaps ;) - is your advanced settings in the pana 900 ? 

∫ Advanced Settings Press [OK] to show the following settings: ¾Colour Mode This setting is for selecting colour-space conversion of the image signal. ¾Deep Colour Output This setting is for selecting whether to use Deep Colour Output when a TV that supports Deep Colour is connected. ¾High Dynamic Range Output Output images in HDR (High Dynamic Range) format depending on the content and connected device. ¾Contents Type Flag Depending on the playback content, the TV will output adjusting to the optimal method when a TV that supports this function is connected

pg 30 of the manual

Thank you for this info guys. I would have had it to you earlier until I spat the dummy and threw my wireless mouse through the concrete floor because of the frustrating in my spelling or me tying on a computer because of what the Stroke did to me so please be pa intent with me

CWT    I have not read page 30 of the Panasonic Manual I better find it. 

My daughter typing, she is faster than me. All i can tell you all, Im using EZY HD Cables. they are guaranteed for 18GB, they are 5m long and i have 3 of them going from the TV, e.g. HDMI 1, HDMI 2 and HDM1 3going from the TV to the cabinets where my blu-ray players are. HDMI 1 it has its own cubby house, and is for the new Oppo 4K player that has not been made yet. HDMI 2  goes to the middle cabinet where I have my Oppo 103D. HDMI 3 is in the third cabinet down and is for my Panasonic DMPUB900 and this Panasonic I use to watch the UHD movies. I thought about the cable, but Foxtail guarantees 18GB transfer. Yes, the reason why i watched Billy Lynn last night, for the reason was to test the system and this is the only reason why and it surely failed so I want to find out, why? So what will i do? I have 2 other HDMI (HDMI 1 and 2) that I can use and if they also fail I will use the original 1m long lead that comes with the Panasonic box. If this fixes the issue the cables are no good.

My daughter thinks like me, she said just in case one of the three is a dodgy cable.Its easy fixed. I will remove that one that plugs the Panasonic and move it to the 1090p Oppo and I will use which ever one for the one that needs the maximum speed. I made it this way to have sufficent cable behind the TV and sufficent cable behind the cabinets so any cable can be swapped to any socket at both the TV and cabinet ends. I will have fun on Monday. Busy tomorrow watching my favourite feeds.

On the LG we have 4 HDMI inputs. The four inputs you can select "Deep Colour" and it is selected for the Panasonic to the TV.

Now all HDMI video cables go directly to the LG TV via HDMI 1, 2 and 3. Ive allowed the audio to have their own 3 cables going to the AVR so by this, you can see I will have no issues with the AVR because the cables go from A to B.

Anyhow if you think of anything more please tell me otherwise I will start with my testing my other two different cables that are from EZY HD and I will test and use the cable supplied with the Panasonic in the box and will soon find out if its a cable or the LG is the issue. I hope its not the cable because Ive gone through a hell of a lot of work to put these cables in and to make them very neat

Sometimes some of the secondary HDMI inputs are restricted Blackman. Or limited in their specs. Perhaps it is that. I have not looked at the manual for your tv but maybe try HDMI1 and see how that handles it.
Thinking back someone may have mentioned this previously.

16 hours ago, cwt said:

Blackman one thing you haven't mentioned  [or I missed it ] - and just to be thorough before we start to blame your hdmi as we know you haven't fed them through your avr so you have heaps ;) - is your advanced settings in the pana 900 ? 

pg 30 of the manual

Problem fixed!!!!

Yes it was my setting in the Panasonic DMP UB900 that was causing the Ussue. After this I Tested all the 4 HDMI'd and all were the same. I tested very easily by swapping the HDMI leads (turned everything off first) behind the cabinet and for HDMI 4 it was a little harder because this cable goes to the Sat section but it worked 100%.

For All the Public reading this buy this Movie Billy Lynn's Long Halfway Walk because this movie will test you TV, Your Blu ray player, and you leads because if you do not get the below you have an issue. This is the first only 60 FPS (frames Per second) movie ever made and it surely test your system  by running close to the full 18g/b per second

This is what the info should look like whick means you will get the best picture quality not like before when I had BT 709.

Once again thank you to EZYHD Cables for Supplying such a Long Cable and working well, even my 7M cable on HDMI 4 worked as good as the 3 different 5M ones. It will be good to see how long cable can be used and get the above figures.

DSC02007_zpse2ek6bqm.jpg

Edited by Blackman