Stera

NBN Connection

22 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I casually browse this site and find information very helpful.

I am having issues with my NBN connection - Seeing as though I will be using NBN for Subscription, thought that was a reasonably appropriate area.

If anyone is confident with NBN, please let me know and I'll put the questions out there!

Thank you.

1 hour ago, brodricj said:

Doesn't your ISP have a Technical Support service?

Not if he's with TPG/IINET/WESTNET hours on the phone to get nowhere.

22 hours ago, Chopsus said:

On the flip side, tech support can get impatient when it takes 48 hours to get to the question :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

10 hours ago, pgdownload said:

On the flip side, tech support can get impatient when it takes 48 hours to get to the question :)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

And still counting ...... :lol:

On 13/05/2017 at 11:28 PM, Chopsus said:

I've been a customer of TPG for over a decade and have had excellent service - ADSL, ADSL2+, NBN. Always prompt courteous and efficient. Likewise for several friends who wnt to them on the strength of my experience.
1st hand +++++ experience.
YMMV

Just now, DigitalObserver said:

I've been a customer of TPG for over a decade and have had excellent service - ADSL, ADSL2+, NBN. Always prompt courteous and efficient. Likewise for several friends who wnt to them on the strength of my experience.
1st hand +++++ experience.
YMMV

According to Whirlpool the conglomerate is not doing to well when it comes to NBN tech service.

On 13/05/2017 at 10:29 AM, Stera said:

NBN

There's ya problem... ;):P

JSmith :ninja:

25 minutes ago, DigitalObserver said:

Spins like a top!

TPG.png

Doesn't mean much if you can;t get through to them when it goes down though - just sayin'

Telstra/NBN have announced a service where they can work out what speeds people should get from their commissioned NBN connection. In theory, they take into account your type of NBN technology, quality/length of copper, number of connections in your area, home use etc. & end up with an estimate that let's the user pay for the appropriate plan their fibre/copper is capable of.

So people who are paying for a 100mbps plan & only getting ~45mbps & have had their path from home to exchanges equipment proven to be maxed out, will have their plan nudged down to 50mbps, with excess charges incurred whilst on the higher plan reimbursed.

As I said, nice theory. Hope it helps a few people out.

Here's some info for reference...

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-speeds-explained

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

Telstra/NBN have announced a service where they can work out what speeds people should get from their commissioned NBN connection. In theory, they take into account your type of NBN technology, quality/length of copper, number of connections in your area, home use etc. & end up with an estimate that let's the user pay for the appropriate plan their fibre/copper is capable of.

Nothing so sophisticate unfortunately.

Once your service is activated on the nbn, Telstra will check your maximum line speed, and if your line is not capable of supporting the minimum performance defined for the speed tier chosen, we will automatically move your service to a lower speed tier and credit back the associated speed boost charge

This is something they could have done a decade or more ago with a few lines of code (and no doubt did internally) but until now there wasn't really any tiers. You connected to ADSL and got what you got. Paid the same amount for 2Mbps as someone who got 15Mbps. Cynically they're taking a leaf out of the NBNCo book which states that any service that meets the required line speed once in a 24 hour period is considered performing as needed. 

Personally I don't have much sympathy for the households this initiative will help. Those that spend up big and never bother to check if what they paid for is what they're getting. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

The aim of any service provider should be to provide a service as close to what the customer's paying for.

My long stint as an ADSL technician saw many interactions with members of the public, who were irate with their service. I'd sympathise with them, & tell them that my job was to relieve ADSL congestion in their area, to get them a better value for money service.

Step in the right direction to at least make people feel they're not in the dark when it comes to their poor service.

So long as the people on the other end of the support line know what they're talking about...

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2017/05/16/telstra-refund-reimburse-internet-nbn-speeds/

Edited by Ralfi

On 2017-5-15 at 9:57 AM, DigitalObserver said:

Spins like a top!

Speed for random customers isn't really this issue with the "NBN" is it? It's the fact than FTTP was scrapped in favour of this botched mess we have now.

In many Sydney area's it's 25Mbps max HFC... [email protected]

Hi guys,

Apologies for the delay - Internet has been patchy as best!

Chopsus said it perfectly - "Doesn't mean much if you can;t get through to them when it goes down though - just sayin' "...

You have pretty much hit the nail on the head - On hold for in excess of 1.5 hours before speaking with anyone... Managed to get through to discuss being unable to get a connection and there is actually a fault with the connection from the street to our home and a technician has been booked.

Finger crossed!

Is it as good as I imagine??

Always nice when someone identifies an actual issue. Much better than, we can't see anything wrong but will keep trying...

Lets see what happens

Peter Gillespie

Hi mate, I'm with Westnet and just accept that a hands free phone call, while I'm working at my desk, can run all day - as long as I get someone eventually.

1-2 hours seems to be the norm and the lack if a callback facility is quite frustrating.

13 hours ago, pgdownload said:

Always nice when someone identifies an actual issue. Much better than, we can't see anything wrong but will keep trying...

+ 1

People are not getting their paid for speed everywhere especially in peak times. ISP's are not buying the appropriate CVC and the end user is suffering at the moment.

1 hour ago, Slattery said:

People are not getting their paid for speed everywhere especially in peak times. ISP's are not buying the appropriate CVC and the end user is suffering at the moment.

Yes ... this could be the key issue.  The ISP, of course in trying to eke out more profit, will provide the minimum bandwith/whatever to service its clients.  It could then be a matter that we demand more from our ISP's .....

3 hours ago, Mr C said:

Yes ... this could be the key issue.  The ISP, of course in trying to eke out more profit, will provide the minimum bandwith/whatever to service its clients.  It could then be a matter that we demand more from our ISP's .....

Except I don't buy that. Major cashed up ISPs such as Telstra and Optus are getting severe performance hits due to congestion. They can buy more bandwidth on a daily basis based on congestion reports. Simple mechanism. I just don't believe Optus etc. are saying they'll let 100's / 1000's of customers suffer on not just poor but actually unusable connections. Ultimately these businesses are about providing a service for $. Choosing to providing no service when you could just make a bit less profit and provide some service seems an unlikely business decision.

Peter Gillespie