Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xpl0sive

floating entertainment unit

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Not so much home theatre related, but I want to build a flush-mounted floating entertainment unit on the wall in my living room. This is not my dedicated home theatre setup, so will be setup with aesthetics in mind. In terms of equipment, the cabinet just needs to house an el cheapo receiver that will drive my current speakers (Paradigm satellites) as well as a Blu-ray player and maybe a game console. The rest of it will just be generic storage.

My only issue is, I want to have the unit flush against the wall and solid doors on the front, so that nothing is visible. How do I go about adding ventilation with this type of setup? Or will I have to have the front exposed? Only other solution I can think of is to ditch the receiver/speakers and run a soundbar, with the player on top of the unit, but given the price of decent soundbars and the fact that the area is an open plan, I'd be better off just getting a cheap second hand receiver and run my existing 5.1 setup.

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

You could use mesh for part of the doors and/or add a PC fan underneath with holes/ducts

This would work (you could have a nice cross thatch weave or maybe a non see through gauze fabric)

But personally I wouldn't bother too much about ventilation. For just a couple of units they should be ok. Maybe put some holes in the shelves and have a bit of space above the cupboard to heat can naturally rise up and dissipate.

Peter Gillespie

1 hour ago, pgdownload said:

So you want to recess the cupboard into the wall? So the doors are in line with the walls.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Nah, just have it mounted on the wall, but not actually in the wall.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

You could use mesh for part of the doors and/or add a PC fan underneath with holes/ducts

I had thought about this, but won't really suit the look I'm going for in the house, which is a fairly industrial/contemporary look, so I basically wanted the unit to be some kind of rustic wood finish with solid doors. Was thinking though, perhaps adding a slot on the top for ventilation might work.

56 minutes ago, xpl0sive said:

Nah, just have it mounted on the wall, but not actually in the wall.

I had thought about this, but won't really suit the look I'm going for in the house, which is a fairly industrial/contemporary look, so I basically wanted the unit to be some kind of rustic wood finish with solid doors. Was thinking though, perhaps adding a slot on the top for ventilation might work.

That was my though just an inch across the top of the door. Could mean you don't need a handle to open the cupboard either. Or you could have a slot on either side?

As Quark said, if you're really worried you can always wire in a silent PC fan to push the air around a bit.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks for the responses guys. What's the best way to secure to the wall? I know it'll need to be screwed into the internal studs, just not sure the best way to go about it. 

1 hour ago, xpl0sive said:

Thanks for the responses guys. What's the best way to secure to the wall? I know it'll need to be screwed into the internal studs, just not sure the best way to go about it. 

Depends on the weight, but I'd expect some decent length wood screws should be fine, just ensure you have 50+mm penetration into the stud after allowing for the depth of the unit and plaster. I'd also use washers to spread the load - never know when kids or pets will climb up.