Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paulgs

Limited reception through TV tuner stick

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

We've just moved house and I'm wondering if some would be kind enough to give me some advice on reception issues I'm having with my EyeTV DTV USB tuner stick that I normally use with my mac laptop.

According to the mySwitch website I'm listed as having 'Good Coverage' - I'm in Kew, Melbourne. We seem to be in an elevated position and the antenna would appear to be positioned well on the roof.

I'm mainly after ABC TV. I get that on our Samsung LCD TV (and all other channels). When I plug the tuner stick into that antenna jack (i.e. that the TV is normally connected to), my signal quality (in the Elgato software) is about 40% and signal strength 100% - I can't auto-tune any channels.

The TV is downstairs. Upstairs I can plug the USB tuner into another antenna jack and I get 62% signal strength and 100% quality. I can auto-tune the device to SBS, 7 and 9 and their associated channels, but no 10 or ABC.

With my limited understanding I thought about buying a signal booster, but do you think this would actually help? Or is the primary limitation likely to be the hardware? - i.e. the TV tuner is better quality and able to receive a signal better than the USB tuner?

Thanks for any help.

Paul

all these tuners for computers really need a very good ariel, i.e buy the biggest you can afford.

I also run an amp just in case.

I have 4 tuners in my pc(2 cards) and it all works.

mixo

18 minutes ago, mixo said:

all these tuners for computers really need a very good ariel, i.e buy the biggest you can afford.

Thanks mixo,

I was assuming you would always get the best reception with the aerial on your roof?

Otherwise what could you suggest - say for less than $100?

Thanks.

Yes. Roof antenna is the best. Your number seems a bit weird (40% quality and 100% strength then 60% strength and 100% quality)

For what its worth these numbers are a bit arbitrary but 60% sounds around the point digital TV might go from got a picture to zero picture.

Can you ensure your cabling is ok? You presumably have a splitter in the run somewhere (roof space?). Are both antenna outlets actually connected? Have you tried plugging the TV into the upstairs outlet (I'm guessing you'd not get a picture)

FWIW if you have an outlet that is getting a good picture from the wall outlet then a booster would seem very likely to sort the situation IMO. Something like this should likely work well (no guarantees though).

Alternatively get a antenna guy to come in and check your reception at each outlet professionally and see if they can boost the signals without changing the antenna over. Otherwise $100 should by a pretty standard antenna (A you say, you're in a good reception area)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

paulgs,

The myswitch website has a transmitters available menu.

You also have available transmitters on the top of the Como building in South Yarra and the Rialto building both of these sites use UHF which is what the supplied antenna with the thumb receivers is designed for.

Ensure the software has Australia selected.

Disconnect any antennas and leave the tuner plugged in .Do a complete scan to remove any previously memorised channels.

Now starft the rescan and plug the antenna (which must be vertical)  in after channel 12 is scanned and before channel 40.

See how that goes.

Alanh

Many thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate it.

Sorry Peter - I thought I'd re-read my post thoroughly. It's 100% signal quality in both cases - 40% strength with the tuner attached downstairs (tv removed and no other connections), and 60% strength upstairs.

I might try that Kingray booster. Does it boost a signal for only one connection? Or is the point of it to maintain strength if you have two connections to the one outlet?

I'll give what you've suggested a go too Alanh - thanks.

Regards,

Paul

25 minutes ago, paulgs said:

Sorry Peter - I thought I'd re-read my post thoroughly. It's 100% signal quality in both cases - 40% strength with the tuner attached downstairs (tv removed and no other connections), and 60% strength upstairs. I might try that Kingray booster. Does it boost a signal for only one connection? Or is the point of it to maintain strength if you have two connections to the one outlet?

That makes more sense. 100% quality would suggest 100% picture but you seem to be getting nothing on your duvelacki. The strength seems a more reliable indicator and as you do get an image on your TV then I believe all you need is to bump it up a bit more so its over the 'digital cliff' line that your other device isn't quite making. 

The booster splits the signal into 2 (which reduces their strength) and then amplifies them both so your TV and other device should each receive a solid signal.

Kingray is a solid brand but you could try other cheaper ones. Available at Middy's, Jaycar, etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

37 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

The booster splits the signal into 2 (which reduces their strength) and then amplifies them both so your TV and other device should each receive a solid signal.

Thank you Peter. Can I just clarify one point so that I don't potentially spend money on something that isn't fit-for-purpose in the first place?

The 40% signal strength reading is downstairs which the TV receives fine.

The 60% signal strength is upstairs where I want to connect my USB tuner to my laptop. If I use the signal booster upstairs with only the USB tuner (leaving the TV connected downstairs) might I expect the signal to be amplified more than 60%, or is the booster only worthwhile if you plan to connect two items to the one jack (e.g. two TV's). 

Paul

To be clear, a booster isn't a 100% certain fix. Somethings a bit dodgy with your cabling / antenna and a professional examination of it would likely bring all outlets up to 100% without other equipment. But that can be costly and probably unnecessary. 

With any split system, plugging in equipment in other outlets can possibly affect other outlets so you might find you get upstairs running but downstairs suddenly doesn't. 

But a good test would be to plug your portable antenna in upstairs and see if the TV downstairs still works. If it does then you're probably good to go (even though the upstairs doesn't work yet.)

To answer your question directly, the booster should amplify both connections even if you only use one. YOu could also save money though and buy a single unit booster like this. Will just boost the one signal to your antenna.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Thanks Peter,

As it turns out ABC reception on my TV was lost last night and no amount of retuning seems to be helping. It had generally been working well. I think I will get some pro guys out and have a look and be done with it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

I suggest you ensure that the pro has a digital field strength meter so that the signal levels, error rates and the duration of any reflected signals can be measured. I say this because as you have found digital is either perfect, breaking up or absent. This does not give you the cause where as the digital field strength meter and a trained pro can determine the cause.

Did you try what I suggested?

Alanh