Eli

Hacksaw Ridge Sound format

52 posts in this topic

Went to grab a copy of Hacksaw Ridge today after reading the great review on its audio over on bluray.com. 

Noticed the back cover states DTS Master Audio and also Dolby True HD (not Atmos).

It appears the Australian release has been stripped down (again), but I was wondering if this may have been a misprint and if anyone had noticed it was actually Atmos? Don't like the chances but you never know. 

i was about to grab it locally...doesnt this sh!t you ! 

might just wait till its on uhd... when ever that is ...

im waiting for the uk release in may to see if its any different to our local release. supposdly has atmos.

french release supposedly has 7.1 dtsha ma

the us release has atmos, but apprently has some "banding" issues with the picture

Edited by browny

Bit of a trend with local releases lately.....<_<

Arrival -> 5.1 DTS HDMA

Doctor Strange -> only 5.1 DTS HDHR!!!  (is 7.1 DTS HDMA in the US & UK)

54 minutes ago, browny said:

im waiting for the uk release in may to see if its any different to our local release. supposdly has atmos.

the us release has atmos, but apprently has some "banding" issues with the picture

Some is under statement. The U.S. 1080p Blu-ray should really be avoided due to the extreme amount of banding: 

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13342943&postcount=46568

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13346644&postcount=46598

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13309242&postcount=247

Edit: As for the U.K. disc, it will likely be the same as the U.S. disc, it's distributed there by Liongates too, and usually they just port over the same disc.

Edited by Cevolution

yeah thats what i was refering to cev. its pretty bad, worst ive seen.

youve ordered the french release havent you?

Edited by browny

5 minutes ago, browny said:

yeah thats what i was refering to cev. its pretty bad, worst ive seen.

youve ordered the french release havent you?

Yeah I ordered the French version earlier today. There is not much information out there about it, I'm hoping it's a little better. 

Edited by Cevolution

I just ordered the uhd from the us,

locals miss out, I'd rather buy local but if are going to jib us with inferior track... and give us choice to buy the uhd locally ...

I've had the U.S. UHD set for a few weeks:

b5ad23eb26d04b73e40d608ed9a94a09.jpg

It's been known for a while that there wasn't going to be a local UHD version, at least for the time being, so there wasn't any reason for me to hold off.

It was Lionsgate that gipped us (so you are not really sending a message, by purchasing any version you are supporting them, if you wanted to send a message, then you wouldn't purchase the title at all :)), the mastering for this title was done by Lionsgate, and they provided this to all the other distributors. Lionsgate withheld the Atmos audio file from Icon for their release, and so far it appears as though they have done the same for all other countries where it's not distributed by them.

Edit: Changed 'they' to 'Lionsgate' at the beginning of the last sentence. Also corrected a spelling error.

Edited by Cevolution

2 hours ago, Cevolution said:

if you wanted to send a message, then you wouldn't purchase the title at all :)),

am not sending  message...

am just buying a disc and one that doesnt compromise on the audio..and from where can actually buy one from (as a uhd)

as far as any message goes...lack of a small minority (i.e. the once that care about PQ, SQ) buying local is all there will be. doubt thats a pimple on the elephant even

but it is dissapoininting for me that where I really want to support the locals by buying local where i can, they literally give me no choice. if I knew this a while ago when the uhd came out overseas...then I would have just got from there...pity...

am not really sure not giving us a uhd or not giving us the best sound track benefits anyone... but atleast we have the alternative...

8 hours ago, browny said:

No issues with the PQ on the US disc from what I can see mate, got it a couple of weeks ago.........

1 minute ago, yorac said:

No issues with the PQ on the US disc from what I can see mate, got it a couple of weeks ago.........

hey mate, check some of the shots cev posted. will wait till the uk release to see what thats like with pic and sound, then i guess ill have to choose.

hey cev, is the banding limited to those scenes?

1 hour ago, browny said:

No, there is more thoughout.

well with the us blu-ray with severe banding...and the aussie blu-ray with an inept sound track...

the uhd is looking a pretty good buy :D 

14 hours ago, :) said:

am not really sure not giving us a uhd or not giving us the best sound track benefits anyone... but atleast we have the alternative...

I think you need to think about this for a minute. You just ordered the title from U.S., where Lionsgate are the distributor, did you not? As I mentioned previously, Lionsgate did the mastering for this title, and provided the masters to other distributors around the globe for their versions. By Lionsgate not making certain things available to Icon, the Australian distributor (and other distributors in other countries), and therefore not making them available to us, the Australian consumer, on our own shores, it enhances the appeal of  Lionsgate's own release. Because of this, more consumers from all over the world will go directly to them to purchase the title.

Edited by Cevolution

sorry pimple elephant all comes to mind. in any case just want to watch the film. not into conspiracies around distribution of it. am sure theres all sorts go on.

21 hours ago, :) said:

i was about to grab it locally...doesnt this sh!t you ! 

might just wait till its on uhd... when ever that is ...

Thanks for the replies all. It is very frustrating - I'm starting to think of investing in a 4K blu-ray player (even though I don't have a 4K display) just so I can get the better audio releases.

Is it the 4k disc or blu disc that has the banding issues?watched the 4k last night and didnt notice any banding?maybe I don't know wat to look for?

23 hours ago, browny said:

hey mate, check some of the shots cev posted. will wait till the uk release to see what thats like with pic and sound, then i guess ill have to choose.

Mate, rewatched the scenes on the US disc, not a problem, one night scene a bit ordinary but np here......

2 minutes ago, yorac said:

Mate, rewatched the scenes on the US disc, not a problem, one night scene a bit ordinary but np here......

cool, might have to borrow yours to watch before buying myself a copy :P

Just now, browny said:

cool, might have to borrow yours to watch before buying myself a copy :P

Am going to watch it in full again on the weekend mate, but happy to do a lenda.......

23 hours ago, yorac said:

35 minutes ago, yorac said:

You obviously just don't have an eye for this sort of thing ;):). There is nothing wrong with that, it means the banding doesn't affect your enjoyment. The banding is there though (it's quite severe in places), it has been proven, and there is no disputing it. It has been discussed a bit in the U.S. Blu-ray and UHD threads on Blu-ray.com, however if you can't see it then perhaps you should mention your experience there:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286086

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286083

Personally, I wouldn't though, If you value your credibility :)

Edit: Added a sentence.

Edited by Cevolution

5 hours ago, muriwai said:

Is it the 4k disc or blu disc that has the banding issues?watched the 4k last night and didnt notice any banding?maybe I don't know wat to look for?

The 4k US disk is the good one for lack of banding Muri ; and the one with the atmos track :)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hacksaw-Ridge-4K-Blu-ray/168526/#Review

In fact [ if you don't trust the distributors ] one could be forgiven that they;re trying to wean us off 2k bluray by giving more thought to the mastering of the uhd disc and screwing with the 2k version - only if you think its a conspiracy of course :angry: Of course the 2k version loosing the atmos object audio track with other titles is just a coincidence .. depending on your outlook ..

42 minutes ago, Cevolution said:

You obviously just don't have an eye for this sort of thing ;):). There is nothing wrong with that, it means the banding doesn't affect your enjoyment. The banding is there though (it's quite severe in places), it has been proven, and there is no disputing it. It has been discussed a bit in the U.S. Blu-ray and UHD threads on Blu-ray.com, however if you can't see it then perhaps you should mention your experience there:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286086

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=286083

Personally, I wouldn't though, If you value your credibility :)

Edit: Added a sentence.

Never concerned with what others can see mate, just what I can see, the issues may well be there, I don't suffer from DLP rainbows either, doesn't mean they're not there.

Don't bother with OS forums as like here there is little tolerance for others views/tastes/opinions, the only things most forums have in common nowadays is a lack of respect for anyone who doesn't play the bandwagon game.

Apologies for going a little off topic folks..........

B):rolleyes::)