Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snoopy8

Oldies Keeping Shrinking Camera Market Alive

2 posts in this topic

An interesting infographic and article from LensVid on the shrinking camera market. The predicted 2017 global market will be 1/6 of the units sold in 2010, a  steep decline. :bye:

As we all know, the smartphone is killing the camera market.  And us oldies are the ones keeping the market alive...   :console:

Infographics-2016-03 smaller.jpg

7 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

As we all know, the smartphone is killing the camera market.  And us oldies are the ones keeping the market alive...  

Well the higher end smartphone cameras can do 4K video at 30fps and mid-tier ones can do Full HD video.  Low light performance has been improved. Stills may be able to be taken with an expanded dynamic range achieved by the phone camera automatically taking two or more photos in very quick succession at different exposures. And the phones are compact.

You do get better performance with a mid-priced dedicated camera but you have to pay a substantial price, the thing is bulky, and there may be many dials and buttons to learn about, requiring quite a bit of time to get used to.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 which with a fairly basic zoom lens set me back almost $1k. There are certain times when I use this camera with fixed focus and fixed exposure to take video of musical performances and it does a very good job in that role. And there are times I use it to advantage outdoors for scenery stills (particularly with the zoom lens). However I find that even when I'm on a tour in a foreign country I'll often leave the dedicated camera in the hotel room, and use my smartphone instead!  It is just so much easier to carry a smart phone around rather than a bulky camera.  

As an "oldy" I have more opportunities to use a dedicated camera, and I'm not on a tight budget as I was when younger. But even so, such a purchase can be a little hard to justify.

Edited by MLXXX