Kazz

4K Ultra HD Disc Local Release Dates

121 posts in this topic

JB HiFi is having a 20% sale which includes UHD discs.

Nothing really new from the last time. But I see guys talking about Planet Earth II which is on offer.

But I managed to pick up the two Fast and Furious movies. Just in time for the new movie.

And there's also John Wick.

19 hours ago, doggiehowser said:

JB HiFi is having a 20% sale which includes UHD discs.

Nothing really new from the last time. But I see guys talking about Planet Earth II which is on offer.

But I managed to pick up the two Fast and Furious movies. Just in time for the new movie.

And there's also John Wick.

20% sale is how I buy my 4kUHD discs.

I find $28 much more palatable. 

Fantastic Beasts & where to find Them, Passenger's,  might even get Assassin's Creed @ $23.

I've decided with this format that I'm not going to double dip on anything I already have on Blu-ray except for the absolute reference stuff ( at this stage thats Lucy and thats it).

Ne good if jb fxxxxxxn wen site worked !!!
Going down to store tomor to give them an earful

15 hours ago, muriwai said:

Ne good if jb fxxxxxxn wen site worked !!!
Going down to store tomor to give them an earful

I can see your frustration now.

Didn't realise it was an "Online only" sale for Good Friday. 

Looks like I missed the boat on that one.:(

Yes I stuffed up on this one as well, took 10 BD's including 3 UHD's to counter...... ended up putting them all back 😭

Did pick up a Samsung UHD player for $188 with the 5% off code though, will be good as an interim/back up 

King Kong (2005) on 4K UHD Blu-ray is currently listed in Universal Sony Home Entertainment Australia's database, as being released locally on the 12th of July.

52 minutes ago, Cevolution said:

King Kong (2005) on 4K UHD Blu-ray is currently listed in Universal Sony Home Entertainment Australia's database, as being released locally on the 12th of July.

Just in time for Skull Island.. and just after I purchase the new two disc edition, naturally!

Also Cev, what happened over at the BD forums?

3 hours ago, BenjaminG said:

yeah cev, what did happen?

and i enjoyed skull island for what it was.

On 18/04/2017 at 2:15 PM, BenjaminG said:

On 18/04/2017 at 5:36 PM, browny said:
yeah cev, what did happen?

It was kind of stupid of me. I got trolled (but didn't realise it until it was too late) by a group of socially challenged individuals that are the main posters in the general chat section on Blu-ray.com, who are friends on the site and spend many hours on there daily discussing practically every aspect of their lives. I was involved in a discussion about "physical media vs digital distribution" in the digital sub-forum, and gave my genuine opinion on something regarding the topic. The next thing I knew I was having to defend my stance against 3 or 4 members that weren't posting in the thread and came out of nowhere.

One of the members in particular (who the rest look up to, and that they run to to defend them, and to be the front runner in such situations), purposely took some of what I had said out of context, and started playing games and being a smart ass. So I insulted them back. Which ultimately lead to me receiving a 1 week suspension.

Edit: Turned the second and third sentences into one sentence.

Edited by Cevolution

its not worth the bother cevo, leave em to their games mate ... lifes too short :) just give em a wide berth and get on with things once back there :cheer:

I'm finding this really odd the level of blu-ray releases we have had and coming locally wiht absolutely no uhd on the horizon....

its obviously not just an au thing ? but its very odd how the same movies are having us uhd releases and we are not ? 

The local release date for King Kong (2005) has changed over the last few days, it's been pushed back by two weeks, from the 12th to the 26th of July.

For those interested, I spoke with Universal Sony Home Entertainment Australia last week, and obtained the local release dates for the following 4K UHD Blu-ray releases (obviously the dates are subject to change):

The Mummy, The Mummy Returns, & The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - 10th of May, 2017.

Gladiator - 7th of June, 2017.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - 28th of June, 2017.

Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3 - 28th of June, 2017.

It has also been reported that Gravity is currently on Roadshow's release sheets for the 6th of September.

Some of the local dates for the titles above that I originally posted about have also changed. Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3 have been pulled forward by two weeks, to the 14th of June. Gladiator has been pushed back by 1 week, to the 14th of June, and The Bridge on the River Kwai has been pushed back until the 6th of December.

its not worth the bother cevo, leave em to their games mate ... lifes too short just give em a wide berth and get on with things once back there invision_classic_cheer.png

Some wise advice mate.

On 4/10/2017 at 2:44 PM, bernievink said:

Just received an email saying these have been sent, plus a 2 Euro discount was applied because of the pre-order price guarantee on the first movie. order total was actually  EUR 82,92 AUD 120.72 for all three movies. that compares favourably with local releases even including the postage from Germany to Australia.

Update:- Three hours after receiving email that movies were sent, I received another email with an $8.68 refund because of price drops after my order was sent. These movies cost me $37.50 each delivery paid to Australia.

Interested to hear your opinion and the disc specs when you get these Bernie

1 hour ago, darthhasbro said:

Interested to hear your opinion and the disc specs when you get these Bernie

I have not received my set yet but here is a comment from d514 on the bluray forums who received his copies from Germany about three days ago and has watched all three. The bold highlighting is mine.

"About language/subtitles:

All three movies have English picture masters. So stuff like locations and "24 hours earlier" are burned in. 
When I select German audio there are additional subtitles, so it's English and German. 
The German subtitles are off when English audio is selected.

It get's a little more complicated with English subs for non English speaking parts. 
On the first movie the subtitles are also burned in English. 
On the second movie the subtitles are not burned in but player generated German. 
With English audio the subtitles are also German... I didn't find any non English parts on the third movie.

Picture quality: Disappointing.

The contrast on the first movie is too high. Robert Downey Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow look like they were in the sun for too long. 
There is not really any additional sharpness compared to the Blu-ray and small halos are visible in some scenes. 
The Blu-ray by comparison is too bright. The grain isn't better on the UHD either. I can only compare to the German Blu-rays. 
I don't know if the US discs were better.
The second movie is a little better. There is a slight uptick in sharpness compared to the Blu-ray. 
The contrast isn't as unnatural as on the first one but still too high.
The third one has the best quality. Contrast and sharpness are good. 
According to Concorde all three movies were sourced from 2K DIs.

All three movies are on triple layer BD100. Iron Man 1+2 are about 59GB in size. 
The third one has about 70GB. All the extras are included on the UHD discs."

Edited by bernievink

Sanity had Passengers in store for $34.99 but JB no copies. All other formats but not UHD.
Just grabbed Fantastic Beasts while 20% off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, muriwai said:

JB got 20% off ?

Just on "Fantastic Beasts....." $28 till 24/04/17.

After missing out on the 20% off ALL BR/UHD last week, I've holstered the CC till it comes around again.

Got to say I agree with Al. Very concerned about the number of new release 4kUHD's not appearing on local lists.

Sicario, Hacksaw Ridge, Girl on a Train, Miss Peregrines..., La La Land ( ??).

C'mon local distributors. Give the format a chance.

23 minutes ago, IMDave said:

Got to say I agree with Al. Very concerned about the number of new release 4kUHD's not appearing on local lists.

Sicario, Hacksaw Ridge, Girl on a Train, Miss Peregrines..., La La Land ( ??).

C'mon local distributors. Give the format a chance.

add Arrival to that,

yep if they dont even make it available ... what chance has the format got, and really doesnt give those wanting much but any other choice but to import... and if importing i'll probably grab a few other discs while at it ! 

19 minutes ago, duke said:

The sooner Amazon gets here the better.

It's highly unlikely that Amazon AU will sell other countries versions. So that just leaves their pricing of local versions. I honestly don't believe that they will make the impact with regards to Blu-ray that some are expecting. There is so much hot air been thrown around about Amazon's arrival here, and what it will mean for Blu-ray's, but I'm not convinced. Amazon are often now the most expensive U.S. retailer  for Blu-ray's, Bestbuy and other U.S. retailers regularly beat them on price, and when Amazon adjust their prices it's often only to match these other retailers. Amazon has become arrogant, and their overal quality in recent years has taken a dive due to this.

26 minutes ago, duke said:

The sooner Amazon gets here the better.

dont be so sure of this helping...selling from their local website they will be curtailed am sure by local studio restrictions...

it might also mean they curtail shipping to us here from their other country websites. they do already for many items not allowing shipping to au.