decryption

Homecast HT8000PVR Dead - How to save data off HDD?

10 posts in this topic

My mum's Homecast HT8000PVR has kicked the bucket (won't turn on), but the HDD seems to still be in good shape and she would like to keep the programs recorded on it.

I opened it up, took the HDD out and plugged it in to my computer. The drive is detected by the computer and doesn't make any weird noises, but the file system seems to be unsupported. Both Linux and Windows have no idea what it is.

I remember back in the day you had to use a weird app to transfer files between the PVR and a computer, but the PVR itself is dead and won't turn on. 

Anyone have a clue as to how I can copy the data off the internal HDD of the Homecast HT8000PVR in Windows or Linux?

You can probably use the Homecast file software to access the drive directly (HC_xDrive).

If your Mum is looking for a replacement I recommend checking out Fetch Mighty TV (Can by stand alone or through an ISP)

Regards

Peter GIllespie

Edited by pgdownload

Thanks for the reply Peter!

Unfortunately it looks like that link to the HC_xDrive software is dead. When I click the download button, it says "The link is missing. Notify me when it is available." :(

I tried googling for it on other sites, but no luck. You wouldn't happen to have a copy handy would ya?

I have copies of both the Homecast software:  HCxDrive USB and Martin Zwerschke's program HC Load V2.5. This latter is supposed to be able to read Homecast's file system with the HDD connected directly to a PC. Here's what he says:-

HC-Load (beta V2.5) was made to download files, that are stored on the hard disk of Homecast's S8000/ HS8100, HS9000 or HT8000  PVR–SAT- or cable receivers in the company's proprietary HC-FAT-Filesystem.

Other Homecast or reseller's harddisk receivers may work with HC-Load as well.  For  S8000 the disk must be removed from the receiver and connected to a desktop PC
or notebook, where it has to be connected to a PATA (IDE) controller or a USB port (by means of a IDE-USB-adaptor).

For HS8100/HS9000/HT8000 the receiver can alternatively be reached using the receivers square formed USB type B port.

In this case USB driver offered by Homecast (HcPvrUSB.sys) must not be installed.

If you would like copies of either or both let me know with an email address.

Statek

Cheers Statek! I'd love the HC Load - send it over to [email protected] if you can :)

2 hours ago, decryption said:

Cheers Statek! I'd love the HC Load - send it over to [email protected] if you can :)

Hi decryption,

Glad Statek had the goods. As a tip I'd suggest editing your email. something like m2e2g2a212ATf2a2st3m4a5i66l.f77m (remove any numbers higher than 1). 

Bots crawl through sites like this scooping up emails endlessly.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

decryption, if you go to page 2 of this forum, you will find a thread entitled

"Transfer From Homecast Ht8000 To Windows 8.1 Computer.",

in which I gave instruction to enable the OP to obtain "HcLoad" from my drop canvas, and I believe it is still there if you follow the instructions (if you still need the program)

Unfortunately this is my first visit back to this forum, since the last of my posts on the aforementioned thread, and hope this is of some help to you (and anyone else in the same situation)

Best of luck, don't forget to let everyone know how it all goes

donhe7

On 2/14/2017 at 11:35 AM, decryption said:

Homecast HT8000PVR

Just had one of these land on my repair bench.

30 minutes later, after replacing the usual suspects, it's all good again. Saved another item from the trash.

(The customer is quite happy to have it repaired, as it serves their purposes well.)

Homecast HT8000 repair.jpg

I have a free (working I think) HT8000 for anyone willing to pay the postage (or collect). Its been sitting in storage for a few years as I found it way too clunky to be usable for me. Central Coast NSW.

David.

Edited by davidl