HDobsession

New Atmos HT Room Renovation Questions - Krix, Epson and Martin Logan

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I must say I've learnt so much from you guys about home theatre over the years, so thanks for that.  I'm setting up a new home theatre as we are getting a renovation done at home. I want to make it as good as sound insulated as possible. I want to have pretty high-end sound if possible. So if its a matter of a few hundred dollars for a better sound I'll do it. I loke listening to music too. Got a Project Audio essentials record player recently.

The size of the room is 4.7m long 3.6m wide, with carpeted floor. Here's what I have so far..

• I currently have an Epson TW9000W (looking to upgrade to the TW9300) - anyone interested in buying this one?
  • Oppo BDP 103AU Region free Mod (looking to upgrade to the UDP203) 
  • Yamaha Avantage 3050 ATMOS Reciever
  • 120" motorised Scope screen 
  • Front Speakers Martin Logan Motion 40's and Motion 6 centre
  • I am going for a 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup

Some Questions..

Surround speakers: I was looking at getting Krix Symmetrix in-wall speakers X 4 for surrounds and backs - any recommendations on other in-wall brands? (has to be in-walls or on-walls). I saw some Martin Logan passage speakers for a good price but they don't have back boxes, and they are quite old now (out of production).

Dolby Atmos Height Speakers: For the Atmos speakers I already have used the Krix Atompherix (bout about 8 years ago) and could transfer them over but was looking at new Atmospherix AS, or Atmospherix A20 (angled speaker). Could anyone tell me which of these would be better for the Dolby Atmos overhead speakers. The A20 have an angled speaker. Are the new Atmospherix AS better than the older Atmospherix? Or is there another brand I should be looking at?

Sound Proofing: I have heard some great advice from others in this forum using  Gyprock "Fyrechek" 13mm plaster (as opposed to 10mm sheet). What are the best acoustic insulation bats should I ask for in the walls and ceiling?

Speaker Wire and HDMI: I need to get a fair bot of speaker wire. I suppose Selby would be the best place for this? What guage would you recommend, 12? Also a long HDMI cable that is future proof as much as possible.

Thanks for your help. Have I missed anything here? Maybe I've overlooked something important.

Thanks guys.

Paul

2 hours ago, HDobsession said:

Dolby Atmos Height Speakers: For the Atmos speakers I already have used the Krix Atompherix (bout about 8 years ago) and could transfer them over but was looking at new Atmospherix AS, or Atmospherix A20 (angled speaker). Could anyone tell me which of these would be better for the Dolby Atmos overhead speakers. The A20 have an angled speaker. Are the new Atmospherix AS better than the older Atmospherix? Or is there another brand I should be looking at?

Hi Paul, congratulations on the reno. Thought I'd chime in with the info I can help with.

The Dolby Home Installation guidelines state: "If the chosen overhead speakers have a wide dispersion pattern (approximately 45 degrees from the acoustical reference axis over the audio band from 100 Hz to 10 kHz or wider), then speakers may be mounted facing directly downward. For speakers with narrower dispersion patterns, those with aimable or angled elements should be angled toward the primary listening position."

The Atmospherix AS and A20 both meet the recommended dispersion pattern, so no worries there. The A20 have an angled baffle which means both drivers will be aimed toward the listening position. On both models, having the two sources close together and firing in the same direction minimises off-axis cancellation. Which one is better for Atmos (AS/A20)? It's a tough question and I have experimented with angling the ceiling speakers to see which is preferred. There's not a lot in it but I found the angled speakers required a little less EQ at the top end as they are more directed towards the listeners ear. If there was a downside you'd probably say that the sound could be coming in slightly more 'frontal' than the down-firing AS, however when placed between the 45 to 55 degree mark as per the spec, I really didn't notice any issues. Long story short, I think you'd be really happy with either choice.

Edit: Just re-read and noticed you mentioned 7.1.2, not 7.1.4. In that case I'd be leaning toward the Atmospherix AS if placing at 80-100 degrees. Either would still work very well.

Lastly, the main difference between the Atmospherix and the AS/A20 variants, is that the latter feature an upgraded ring radiator tweeter and thin stainless steel magnetic grille (as opposed to the thicker bezel aluminium grille). The pictures on our website should help in visualising. Hope this helps!

Michael

Edited by Krix Loudspeakers

Wow, thanks Michael  for the great response. I was meant to say its a 7.1.4 setup I'm going for so your info was great.

Just to clarify when you say "On both models, having the two sources close together and firing in the same direction minimises off-axis cancellation" does this basically mean the 2 front ceiling speakers need to be close together  (how close together would you recommend?) and aimed towards the listening position?  

Do you think the Symmetrix speakers would be good for the surround back and surround left and right? Are bipole speakers the best for surrounds? If so are there many good in-wall bipole surrounds? 

Thanks for your help again. Cheers,

Paul

Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 9.10.23 PM.png

12 hours ago, HDobsession said:

Wow, thanks Michael  for the great response. I was meant to say its a 7.1.4 setup I'm going for so your info was great.

Just to clarify when you say "On both models, having the two sources close together and firing in the same direction minimises off-axis cancellation" does this basically mean the 2 front ceiling speakers need to be close together  (how close together would you recommend?) and aimed towards the listening position?  

No worries Paul. Sorry for the confusion, the statement was meant to tie in to the sentence before: "The A20 have an angled baffle which means both drivers will be aimed toward the listening position. On both models, having the two sources close together and firing in the same direction minimises off-axis cancellation." The two sources being the tweeter and driver on the one baffle.

I'd recommend placement of the speakers as per the diagram above, lining up with the left and right fronts. You can toe them in a touch if you like, perhaps a similar amount as you would your mains.

12 hours ago, HDobsession said:

Do you think the Symmetrix speakers would be good for the surround back and surround left and right? Are bipole speakers the best for surrounds? If so are there many good in-wall bipole surrounds? 

Thanks for your help again. Cheers,

Paul

The Symmetrix perform very well as surrounds. In this digital processing age of 'positional' sound formats such as 7.1 and Atmos, I'd highly recommend direct radiating speakers over bi-poles and di-poles, which were developed in the pro-logic days to produce a more diffuse sound field. Disclaimer here that we don't make any bi-poles or di-poles, mainly due to our heritage in commercial cinema with a standard of utilising directional surround speakers, and the evolution of digital processing in the current formats.

Thanks again for your help Michael. Now I'll go on the search for the best prices on the Atmospherix AS and Symmetrix. Spoke to a guy at Selby the other day who sounds like he knows his stuff. Any recommendations on where to find the best price on Krix speakers in Melbourne?

8 hours ago, HDobsession said:

Thanks again for your help Michael. Now I'll go on the search for the best prices on the Atmospherix AS and Symmetrix. Spoke to a guy at Selby the other day who sounds like he knows his stuff. Any recommendations on where to find the best price on Krix speakers in Melbourne?

Hi Paul, you're very welcome.

As the manufacturer we can't comment on pricing or the best deal, however we do like to think that customers will support the dealer that has offered them the best advice and service.

Cheers,

Michael

On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:50 AM, HDobsession said:

Selby have the best pricing I've found. Tried a few different people. Stick with them :)