maxtothe

Who has a Freeview Plus STB that works well on catch-up?

3 posts in this topic

I have a specific requirement for an STB.

It must support Freeview Plus, and it must be able to access all the provided catch-up content of all FTA channels. It must have the option of output via red-yellow-white connectors (is that 'composite'?).

I would prefer the capacity to record either on internal disk or an external device via USB, but this is not essential.

I will not accept downloaded catch-up content in which the audio plays out-of-sync.

So if I watch a streaming catch-up program on my computer (over my cable internet connection) in which the audio is in sync, I expect the STB to deliver the same program with the same quality. I have already returned an STB which did not meet this requirement.

Is there ANYBODY who can tell me that they have an STB which meets these requirements?

Freeview Plus is lashing yourself to a fairly stiff mast. Freeview themselves don't make much effort supporting it and the industry in general hasn't done much to take it up. The Freeview website only lists a couple of compatible STB/PVRs with almost zero followup info if you click on them.

The composite output is also increasingly a unsupported option in streamlined new boxes looking to provide simple high quality graphics (composite renders everything in sub SD picture quality) 

Perhaps someone can provide an exact answer to your exact specifications, but otherwise feel free to post your equipment and what you want to do and budget and you might get some solutions that are outside the box you have built :)

As far as I can see there's only two boxes that are Freeview plus (you probably already tried one of them)

But, referring to the freeview site then perhaps this unit will do what you want (possibly no composite though)

Otherwise this teac for $150 has composite output.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Thx pgdownload for yr comments.
So is there anyone out there who can tell me that their TEAC Freeview Plus unit is meeting the performance requirements which I have defined above?

In the meantime I am exploring an alternative to Freeview: using the Microsoft Edge web browser on my Win 10 laptop to cast TV station catch-up and library content to my old WD TV Live unit. The only problem I have found with this method so far is that it is unable to cast some (or all?) channel 9 content (perhaps because it is HTTPS rather than HTTP protocol?) Is there a forum where I can find discussions on this topic?