petetherock

Oppo Uhd 4K Player

503 posts in this topic

On ‎19‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, jsmith said:

Looks like Oppo has lost the PQ processing king crown... seems odd.

JSmith :ninja:

Odd? Not really, didn't Panasonic discover a few errors in what everyone else was doing? Reviews on the Panasonic OLED TVs, seem to indicate that they have a better understanding of the format, Are they not heavily involved in the "Standards" for 4K? I would choose a Panasonic 400 4K Player (if they bring it Oz) over an Oppo but I'm something of a Panasonic tragic, still clinging to my 50ST50 Plasma. Somehow, I'll find a way to acquire a Panasonic OLED, eventually, if I don't run out of time on this stage.

6 minutes ago, miata said:

Not really, didn't Panasonic discover a few errors in what everyone else was doing?

Sure... but what I mean is Oppo designed this player from the ground up with a custom SoC. I would have expected better performance from it... meh, Pana it is I guess. Maybe I'll buy both, do my own comparisons and sell the surplus.

3 hours ago, jsmith said:

Wow... so who is lying here, HDTVTest or HomeTheatreHiFi? :blink:

I'm starting to think the HDTVTest YT video doesn't go into enough detail about how their comparison was made, settings etc... or this one.

Ide be a bit disappointed with the latter j ; starting with using a JVC projector with no mention of an oled or led at all .To compound this no mention of the oppo's HDR strip metadata feature or turning the HDR off ..

Speaks volumes he mentioned upscaling only between the two and not native reproduction ; like a lot of reviewers never touch .. I feel good justifying my pana if you cant tell :D