Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yammy-san

Sony S6500 Vs Oppo 103D

23 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I am in this need to add a bluray player into my tech stack as i have a lot of blurays lying idle and wanting to be used.

I am fighting between the Sony and Oppo as a choice.

From a requirement perspective, birth do

Bluray

SACD

Netflix

Wifi

I have a fully capable audio receiver so would not need a decoder capability on the bluray player.

Question is what am i missing in this comparison. What does the Oppo do differently for all that extra money?

Audio wise Over hdmi no difference. The oppo wil fi dvd-a a now defunct format not sure if important to you.

The D means the oppo has darbee ability for video, whether of value or not to you another thing.

I'd flog the oppo and run :)

Thanks guys. I think you have iterated my exact observations.

Oppo and Marantz - amazing and expensive because of Audio capabilities. Basically it can act as a av receiver replacement of required.

Sony - just good old bluray playback in best of capabilities.

Does that sound about right? :)

Note that the sony has issues with internal decoding, which may not matter to you, but it meant that I couldn't send a LPCM signal to apply Dolby surround.

Otherwise it's cheap and it works.

Oppo and Marantz - amazing and expensive because of Audio capabilities. Basically it can act as a av receiver replacement of required.

My Oppo 103 paid for itself as my interim audio decoder for an ancient Denon AVR. Agree that if you do not need the audio and Darbee capabilities, then there are other choices available.

Sony - just good old bluray playback in best of capabilities.

Have not auditioned the Sony unit, but have read many good things about Sony's BD playback across many models.

2 more things to consider. Oppo have regular (between 3 to 6 months) firmware upgrades and region mod kits that allow you to play other Region discs. If these are not important, then the Sony is your answer.

2 more things to consider. Oppo have regular (between 3 to 6 months) firmware upgrades and region mod kits that allow you to play other Region discs. If these are not important, then the Sony is your answer.

Good point. Region disk is something i didn't look at. Oppo does all these days? I heard it was only for Oppo 83 models?

A few retailers will fit a basic region mod kit (pro kit not worth it) on the Oppo 103/105 or you can buy the kit later and do it yourself.

Not sure if there is a region mod kit for the more expensive Sony models?

Another Oppo tick is that if you want more than what's standard in the box either straight away or down the track people like Merlin Audio (Canberra) and in particular Gattiweb in Melbourne offer add-ons to the Oppo that extend further its play-ability in a variety of ways, go to there web sites to learn more at least before you buy.

But good luck and enjoy whatever your choice.

Edited by agelessgoodguy

Yes

I bought a region free Sony in USA for $235 usd..

Was the power source compatible as in 240V ?

Another Oppo tick is that if you want more than what's standard in the box either straight away or down the track people like Merlin Audio (Canberra) and in particular Gattiweb in Melbourne offer add-ons to the Oppo that extend further its play-ability in a variety of ways, go to there web sites to learn more at least before you buy.

But good luck and enjoy whatever your choice.

Nice mods, but again directed at Audio upgrades. But looks like Gattiweb guys do mods for all Bluray players. If I can source the Sony for a lower price, it would be well worth getting this mod locally installed for $150. :)

Not interested in a uhd player yammy ? the pana [ if/when it comes] has a very nice rec709 downrez for any hdmi2.0a panel for example .

This player has dsd playback and is region free chippable for not a lot if you want to wait; you dont need any fancy analog stages if your bitstreaming :puppeh:‚Äč

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd-players/dmp-bdt370gn.html

Nice mods, but again directed at Audio upgrades. But looks like Gattiweb guys do mods for all Bluray players. If I can source the Sony for a lower price, it would be well worth getting this mod locally installed for $150. :)

Why would you not buy the Sony S6650 from Gattiweb which is already modded?

Why would you not buy the Sony S6650 from Gattiweb which is already modded?

I will look out for any used players for a few days. If nothing turns out, then will just buy off gattiweb.

Ys, if not running a region free player now, ask yourself if you indeed need one now ? Importing discs is not been great with exchange rate, plus local guys doing great pricing and timing for local release. Latest Star Wars was within days of international release and we paid $23 for it !

It's done. Sony bluray bdp s6500 ordered . $160. Once gotten will try out my blurays and see if i really need the region mod. If needed, then will get it modded for $150.

Overall $300 is not a bad price eh! ;-)

Edited by yammy-san

Not interested in a uhd player yammy ? the pana [ if/when it comes] has a very nice rec709 downrez for any hdmi2.0a panel for example .

The time has not come for me to move to uhd. My Samsung plasma and Sony 40es projector need to die before i replace with a uhd one B-). Both going strong.

It's done. Sony bluray bdp s6500 ordered . $160. Once gotten will try out my blurays and see if i really need the region mod. If needed, then will get it modded for $150.

Overall $300 is not a bad price eh! ;-)

Congrats... And all this back and forth for $160! :D:P

Haha. It's the other way around, you all helped me save $700!! B-)

Well it was more about making sure i buy the right one rather than something which will never provide any better value to me.

Every cent matters and count mate and there is no hard in comparing and getting reviews rather than wasting hard earned $160 dollars. You have already invested a fortune in speakers, projector and receiver.

Good luck. I am still using my LG 3D and will not ahve a UHD one as blu ray watching is less compared to what we watch online via streaming.

Good luck.