Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vintage1972

What Camera

11 posts in this topic

There are many, many capable cameras in her price range. I would recommend looking through DPReview's Buying Guides. eg. Beginners, DSLR, Mirrorless, Compact (Note: prices in U$)

Then head to the local camera shop to try out a few, to get a feel of size, features etc. It will be quite confusing initially in the shop but ideally buy a camera on the second visit (and reward the shop person who was most helpful).

And just like HT gear she needs to be careful, there is a lot of grey importers out there with cameras.

That is not to say they can't be trusted, but buyer beware, and do the research prior............

If she is studying then she will want manual control over shutter speed, aperture and ISO within quick reach, also exposure compensation dials are gaining popularity and she will definitely want an interchangeable lens camera.

Size,

Picture quality

Focusing system

shutter speeds

are the considerations you will need to found out what her priorities are

Nikkon and Canon will be the go to for DSLR type camera, I had a 70D and was a good bridge between Consumer and Pro and learnt a lot with it. Sold it because I mainly use it for family events and kids concerts and it was too big to keep low key at events and traveling so went to Fujifilm X-E2

Fujifilm range of x series cameras are mirrorles so smaller size but picture quality is just as good, but focusing system is not as good as a DSLR so for sports or fast action it will struggle,

Find out what type of photography she is into then go to a reputable store like Teds and get advice, tony northrup and matt granger, michael the mentor and the camerastoreTV you tube channels also have informative reviews and tips which helped me when buying

ultimately your sister will need to decide what her priorities are, as all cameras do somethings well like low light shooting, or fast action focusing and shutter speed but rarely will they do everything. what ever the camera costs be prepared to spend 5 X more on lenes!

Edited by speedy6

Hi...I know this might be slightly off topic...but any idea where I could get a lens (Nikon) repaired..

My lens and camera had an unfortunate get to gather with the ground during my Easter holidays...and the glass cover (I don't think it is the lens) has shattered...

Im in Melbourne...any advise will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers

KW

When you say glass cover, are you referring to the screw on filter? If so, then remove it and buy replacement. If not, then likely more cost effective to replace lens.

Try Camera Clinic,56 Easey Street, Collingwood or Vintech Camera Service Centre, 5/358 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. Michael's on Lonsdale maybe?

Hi Snoop...thanks...no not the screw on filter...unlike my other Nikon Lenses..the one I broke had a glass right on the edge of the lens...I assume that it is just a glass protective cover...and then again, I might be wrong...

I will try the places you list...starting with Michaels on Lonsdale..because it is just a block away from where I work...(as is Vintech)

Many thanks

Update :

Went to Vintech on Lonsdale...no fuss..had a quick look ..quick quote and promised me delivery in 2 hours..cant ask for more...appreciate your help Snoopy8... :):thumbsup:

Glad to hear you managed to get it fixed. Lenses have fine tolerances and dropped ones are often not worth fixing.

I was, honestly, going to bin the lens...but the guy told me that the lens is in perfect order...and the "glass" really was just a filter....I could have done it myself really...but ..it is all good...and I know you suggested this Snoop...but I really didn't know what you were talking about, but now that the lens has the filter removed, I know much better....but it wasn't an expensive thing...and I learnt from it...so all good :)

Which type of cameras do you like? may be its DSLR or whatever. Just try to focus the best quality features of the camera.