Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bubbles25

TF5000PVRT new March 30 firmware

28 posts in this topic

Can't seem to find any mention of anyone using the new March 30 firmware, normally people are all over a new firmware.

Have i missed something? Has anyone tried it?

http://www.topfield.co.kr/product_e/pr_sof...R&pn=TF5000PVRt

1. IRD Status

(1) System ID : 416

(2) Loader Version : L4.16

(3) Device Version : v5.2.66

(4) Application Version : TF-NPTA 5.11.56

(5) Last Update : Mar 30 2005

2. Improvements of this version

(1) The timer setting with "Record Off" did not function correctly in case of changing the wakeup service.

It is fixed.

(3) There were some problems in the extended EPG of the recording info window which is shown

by pressing "rec" button while recording.

It is fixed.

(5) The text splitting in the extended EPG window is enhanced at this version.

(6) Some bugs in the TAP were fixed and some TAP functions were added.

We will release new TAP document soon.

(7) And, more than 10 minor bugs were fixed.

bubbles25,

The biggest improvement I've noticed in terms of usability is when you want to record the program you are watching. If you press record a second time it brings up an options window that lets you either change the duration of the recording to ther than 2 hours, or to finish the recording at the end of the current event, or to finish at the end of the next event.

Plus the new firmware has cleaned out some bugs. The consensus on the Topfield forum is that it is worth installing the March firmware.

If you are installing the new firmware then follw the procedure outlined at this link, to ensure that everything works as it should:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/t...p?TOPIC_ID=1384

Geoff

Installed it from day 1 and no problems, although I have noticed a marked improvement on an already excellent quality picture. TEAC 76cm WS on SCART-SCART RGB. Seems somewhat sharper now.

Nothing like giving a car a wash to make it run better.. :blink:

Installed it from day 1 and no problems, although I have noticed a marked improvement on an already excellent quality picture. TEAC 76cm WS on SCART-SCART RGB. Seems somewhat sharper now.

Nothing like giving a car a wash to make it run better.. :blink:

Yes the picture is heaps better, component out still oversaturated but much cleaner/sharper. Its obvious Topfield had something wrong with the decoder part of the firmware.

rgds Damon

one feature i'd like from new firmware, which nobody has written a TAP for...

is to be able to scroll through the Program Guide without it changing channel.

if you're recording two channels, and are scrolling through the Program Guide and reach a station that you're not recording - the window will continue to display a channel that you are recording. which allows you to continue listening/watching your program whilst browsing the EPG. if you're only recording 1 channel, or none, you can't scroll through (left & right) to view what's on the other channels without the windowed tv changing.

just a minor point, but would nice to be fixed somehow.

bubbles25,

The biggest improvement I've noticed in terms of usability is when you want to record the program you are watching. If you press record a second time it brings up an options window that lets you either change the duration of the recording to ther than 2 hours, or to finish the recording at the end of the current event, or to finish at the end of the next event.

Plus the new firmware has cleaned out some bugs. The consensus on the Topfield forum is that it is worth installing the March firmware.

If you are installing the new firmware then follw the procedure outlined at this link, to ensure that everything works as it should:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/frm/t...p?TOPIC_ID=1384

Geoff

if you're recording two channels, and are scrolling through the Program Guide and reach a station that you're not recording - the window will continue to display a channel that you are recording. which allows you to continue listening/watching your program whilst browsing the EPG.  if you're only recording 1 channel, or none, you can't scroll through (left & right) to view what's on the other channels without the windowed tv changing.

You can do this with Showtime EPG (available from Strizzi's page). I find it works really well, but others seem to think it may be the reason for stuffed timers (although I have never had that problem (knock on wood)). It has a preview pane when you go to the EPG and gives you the option of fixing it when you are scrolling through the channels. An added bonus is that you don't lose your buffer whilst scrolling through the EPG.

Geoff

i had a quick look at the Showtime EPG, but didn't really like it. i suppose i could give it another go.

do you know if it works with TEDs? i need my 7 day guide :blink:

if you're recording two channels, and are scrolling through the Program Guide and reach a station that you're not recording - the window will continue to display a channel that you are recording. which allows you to continue listening/watching your program whilst browsing the EPG.  if you're only recording 1 channel, or none, you can't scroll through (left & right) to view what's on the other channels without the windowed tv changing.

You can do this with Showtime EPG (available from Strizzi's page). I find it works really well, but others seem to think it may be the reason for stuffed timers (although I have never had that problem (knock on wood)). It has a preview pane when you go to the EPG and gives you the option of fixing it when you are scrolling through the channels. An added bonus is that you don't lose your buffer whilst scrolling through the EPG.

Geoff

There's a TAP under development to do just that... JustEPG written by 'download'. Keep an eye on the TAPs section on the Topfield forums for that.

Check it out here although no actual version with realtime data yet.

There's a very good reason for changing channels when viewing the EPG in 99% of normal use. The EPG is broadcasted with the TV signal. The normal means of delivering the EPG to the unit is via the broadcast. In order to ensure that you are not viewing a blank or stale EPG, the Toppy needs to switch channels and receive the current EPG for the service in question.

The special case is ICE and EPG_uploader. These alternatives do not rely on the transmitted data and upload the full EPG directly into memory. Even then, you still need to switch channels on the satellite models, since the EPG won't be ingested for the wrong satelite. These EPG upload methods are not standard behaviour as stipulated by the DVB standard and are not in widespread use around the world.

I really can not see Topfield changing the default behaviour of their EPG given the above. Of course, they do provide the TAP API for third parties to provide alternative solutions.

So, does this new firmware fix the problem of having to double check all your timers are on "Tuner 4"? Or does the firmware do it correctly, even if you if you are on the channel you want to record when you set the timer?

So, does this new firmware fix the problem of having to double check all your timers are on "Tuner 4"?  Or does the firmware do it correctly, even if you if you are on the channel you want to record when you set the timer?

It automatically selects tuner 4 when setting a timer now (I'm using timer extend).

There's a TAP under development to do just that... JustEPG written by 'download'. Keep an eye on the TAPs section on the Topfield forums for that.

Check it out here although no actual version with realtime data yet.

Just EPG will be a killer TAP (kudos to download). In the meantime I enjoy Showtime - but it's a bit of a hairy TAP and, because it's German, doesn't have the lovin' support that the Oz TAPs have (oi oi oi).

Geoff

Just EPG will be a killer TAP (kudos to download).

I assume, tho, that it'll ned to be used in conjunction with TED (or maybe Showtime which I haven't tried), otherwise you'd be limited to the NaN listings, and have to flick through all of them to get it updated at that.

Thanks guys. I should have the first alpha version out in the next day or two. Currently JustEPG loads up the same TDG files that EPG UPLOADER, TED, TEDS create/use.

The next step will involve reading striaght from the EPG itself so other methods like ICE can use it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Have they removed the 12/24 hour time setting option? Seems to have gone back to 24 hour time. I have been through the menus numerous times but I cannot seem to find where to put it back to 12 time.

Pity about them removing the 12 hour mode. Handy when setting up the timers for recording. No potentially erroneous mental calculation to do when translating 12 hours format from the Green Gude.

I picked up a new 120Gb Toppy today (from Bing Lee, it was ordered in and only arrived today).

It's already got the March 30 2005 firmware installed!

EDIT: It also shipped with a (cheap looking) SCART -> Component+Audio cable... how long has this been going on? (My 80Gb didn't come with one)

I picked up a new 120Gb Toppy today (from Bing Lee, it was ordered in and only arrived today).

It's already got the March 30 2005 firmware installed!

EDIT: It also shipped with a (cheap looking) SCART -> Component+Audio cable... how long has this been going on? (My 80Gb didn't come with one)

What did you do with your old 80GB Toppy?

What did you do with your old 80GB Toppy?

Actually bought for my (reluctant) parents - borrowed it for a day & they were pleading for its return :blink: