Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peteru

Ethernet for Topfield TF5000PVRt.

68 posts in this topic

I keep getting questions about this all over the place. Rather than repeat myself over and over like a broken record, I decided to blog it.

http://peteru.blogspot.com/

This will give you some brief history explaining where the project came from and where it's at. I'll add updates as I have time, however my top priority is actually getting it done, not just talking about it. That means that if your questions are not being answered, I am either too busy making things work or the question is already answered and you didn't pay attention.

I'll try to add another blog entry within a week.

Great to read about how far you've come in such a short time... well done! Eagerly looking forward to the next installment. :blink:

I keep getting questions about this all over the place. Rather than repeat myself over and over like a broken record, I decided to blog it.

Well done Peter! Hoping you get enough encouragement here and elsewhere to continue!

Stephen

Interesting blog, Peter, keep up the good work.

As the owner of both a Toppy, and a "slug" (Ethernet to USB disk controller) I am very interested in where this may go.

Well done on making the connection with these two devices.

Keep us informed!

Cheers

JB

I don't want to discourgae you Peter, but 99.9% of users in here won't be of benefit to you. You sound like a linux freak with wasted talents on the TF5000T.

With the proposed release of the tf7000 or other linux based units your work will fall on deaf ears when they are to be released soooooon.

I do however wish you best, people like yourself are hard to find!

Actualy I think peteru's work will benifite quite a few users in here as long as it's straight forward and doesn;t require any brains to run. Yea the 7000 as eithernet but it's six months away, will be more expensive and not every one has a HD TV. This gives people more options.

Linux freak? Not really. Linux is just a means to an end. It happens to have the right cost to performance ratio and makes this project possible. I would not hesitate to use NetBSD or some other low-cost / free platform if it was a better solution. I am a bigger fan of Java than I am of Linux, but Java is not the right solution for the things that need to be done here.

I don't expect most of the users here to contribute much, if any, code at this stage. I do expect that eventually, there will be a few people who will integrate this solution into their network and use it as a building block in other projects. I'm sure there will be plenty of good ideas and feature requests coming from forum members. Finding one or two people who have the time and the skills would be great, as that would halve the effort I need to put in. I know of at least one person who can and probably will help.

The project will benefit existing users. Even when Topfield release the TF7k next year, all of the existing TF5000s will not suddenly grow Ethernet interfaces or get thrown out and replaced with something that costs twice as much.

Finally, I don't think of this as waste of my time or talents. Adding Ethernet connectivity to my PVR is something I wanted for myself. Since no one else came up with the solution, I rolled up my sleeves and got it done. I figured that others may want to benefit too and that is why I am going to share.

Finally, I don't think of this as waste of my time or talents. Adding Ethernet connectivity to my PVR is something I wanted for myself. Since no one else came up with the solution, I rolled up my sleeves and got it done. I figured that others may want to benefit too and that is why I am going to share.

I would hope that this project results in a possibility of wireless connected ethernet slug to PC some 20 meters away. Any chance?

Hi...

I feel that either Peters project or this will be the way of the future for many Toppie owners.

This PDF explains about it and is worth looking at.

I am assuming the Toppy can be connected...now all we need ids for it to arrive on our shores at a reasonable price...who knows...the intel product may never arrive..

Ultra-Wideband (UWB) Technology

I will look for an arrival time.

foss

Ps... http://www.intel.com/technology/ultrawideband/

No good, the 1st one is only a USB1 extender... I can't even see the 2nd one because BlackBox is using dodgy IIS which is crashing.

Ok, just the link was crashing it. I searched on their website, and get: SPECIFICATIONS

Standards — USB 1.1

So no good either (well, it won't give you maximum transfer speeds).

All this talk of the TF7000 amuses me. It's as if people are suggesting there will be a TF7000 or TF5000. Why wouldn't you have both - there are different markets at each price/feature point.

Peter's utility would still be a useful addition to future TF5000 owners...

cheers,

John

I agree John...Just as the Toppy has found its spot in the market, and the Strong and Koan and Opentel have or will find their spot, so will the Toppy 7k find its spot.

The Toppy 7k will appeal to a certain genre of PVR users...and that is yet to be defined.

I will get a TF7K...but I will use it in a different way to how I use the current Toppy No hole cut in that box when I get it...lol...well thats my intention...anyhow...lol

There are very may Toppies out there and very many Toppy owners as well that would love to have the type of device PeterU is getting together.

foss

I would hope that this project results in a possibility of wireless connected ethernet slug to PC some 20 meters away.  Any chance?

That part will be dead easy. Assuming that you already have a wireless network all you will have to do is plug a wireless adapter (something like this Linksys product) into the ethernet port of the "slug"

Peter great work. I'm very interested in this. It will extend the life of my Toppy big time as the slow download and inconsistantcy of the current one is annoying.

Unfortunately I fit in the category of "probably require a fair amount of help" so I wont be of any help except cheering you on. :blink:

Great to see Topfield being so helpful too. Give you some real confidence in the company.

Keep up the awesome work.

Another update to the blog posted at http://peteru.blogspot.com

If you want to get in early and become an alpha tester, I would suggest purchasing an NSLU2 this week. If things go well, I expect that there will be a buildable unslung package available this time next week.

Thankyou Peter, well done.

You are a champion, I will definately be looking into setting up my Toppy on Ethernet in the coming weeks seeing how as I have already put cat 5e through the house to every room.

This was one major component lacking from the Toppy, which is now no more thanks to you.

What we need now is a "where can I buy NSLU2 cheaper" thread

Conscious

I commited changes last night that will allow puppy to be built as an unslung package.

I'll let rwhitby test it and if he is happy, it can be added to the unslung package database and be available for installation by anyone running unslung-able on their NSLU2. Fingers crossed, that will happen just in time for the weekend.

puppy is now in alpha. It is possible to build an installable unslung package.

I updated the blog http://peteru.blogspot.com/ and the wiki http://puppy.nslu2-linux.org/

I just need a couple of alpha testers to make sure it works for people other than me. Once I have a couple of reports of success, I will move puppy to beta and add it to the official unslung package feed.

At that stage, any user with an unslung slug can install puppy and start downloading and uploading files between their home network and the Toppy.

Peter,

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but will the puppy / ethernet connection allow faster transfer speeds, or will it be constrained by the Toppy's current USB transfer speed?

Cheers,

Bruiser