Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fossil

PVR DRIVE Accoustics...

8 posts in this topic

hi again PVR owners...This post has come about because of the purchase of my new PC and is with reference to my removable drive setup and my clone drive that I use for an operating system backup....

I am mentioning this because many new folks visit this forum and they might find this info helpful, and I will probably post in the other forum as well...

I recently...like today.... took delivery of another WD drive (200 gig) to take the place of the Seagate drive that I normally use with my Toppy setup but I am now using it for my PC operating system C: drive as a clone drive....

Anyway, with my other 2 x 250 gig WD drive I used the Toshiba Ftool acoustic management program that Tonymy01 found and wrote about some time back

Toshibas Ftool for acoustic management of WD an some other drives

The original thread can be found here

Tonys finding of the Ftool and another tool for Maxtor drive management

When I used the ftool on the 250 gig drives a while back it was like magic and it totally removed any head seek noise...and WD are a bit renown for their headseek rattle.

With the new 200 gig drive (200 gig is a sweet spot between dollars and gigs) the Ftool again performed its miracle and the drive is totally quiet apart from the spin noise which we can't do without... I have read that ftool also increases drive life span.

So, once again I thank Tony very much...If you see this post in the other forum its the same post so don't bother reading it ...

thats about all...if you have a WD drive that rattles ...try it, you will be amazed.

foss

hi again PVR owners...This post has come about because of the purchase of my new PC and is with reference to my removable drive setup and my clone drive that I use for an operating system backup....

I am mentioning this because many new folks visit this forum and they might find this info helpful, and I will probably post in the other forum as well...

I recently...like today.... took delivery of another WD drive (200 gig) to take the place of the Seagate drive that I normally use with my Toppy setup butĀ  I am now using it for my PC operating system C: driveĀ  as a clone drive....

Anyway, with my other 2 x 250 gig WD drive I used the Toshiba Ftool acoustic management program that Tonymy01 found and wrote about some time back

Toshibas Ftool for acoustic management of WD an some other drives

The original thread can be found here

Tonys finding of the Ftool and another tool for Maxtor drive management

When I used the ftool on the 250 gig drives a while back it was like magic and it totally removed any head seek noise...and WD are a bit renown for their headseek rattle.

With the new 200 gig drive (200 gig is a sweet spot between dollars and gigs) the Ftool again performed its miracle and the drive is totally quiet apart from the spin noise which we can't do without... I have read that ftool also increases drive life span.

So, once again I thank Tony very much...If you see this post in the other forum its the same post so don't bother reading it ...

thats about all...if you have a WD drive that rattles ...try it, you will be amazed.

foss

Hi fossil & Tony

Am looking to install a larger drive when my warranty runs out next month. Have some questions on Ftool program.

Q. Do you install the new HD in your PC first on your spare IDE port?

Q. Would the Toppy formating remove the Ftool parameters?

I'm assuming this Ftool program is a h/w firmware tool.

Finally, is there any particular Hard Drive model (250G) that you recommend?

Pep

Hi...I have 3 WD Drives ..2 x 250 gig and 1 x 200 gig and I am very happy...Tony has a Maxtor 250 gig and is very happy after noise reduction...I appreciated the noise reduction as well..in fact I love it to extremes...lol...i believe that the WD and Maxtor are the only reasonably priced 250 gig drives about at the moment...Seagate do a 200 gig...Hitachi do a 400 gig at about 175 per gig...2 x 200 gigs at 85c per gig is the best uption...400 gig drives cannot go in the box...they are too hot and noisy and also it is too much gig for convenience in one drive...best to have multiple drives with a removable drive setup and swap...With the removable setup you can add drives at your leisure...

The drive should have an 8 meg cache to ease data transfer and also help with any performance loss by noise reduction, if there is any loss...

Don't get 2meg, though 2 is cheaper and has worked,,,I would not like to quieten a 2 meg cache drive in case it affected performance adversly...there is absolutely no problem with the 8 meg cache 200 or 250 gig WD model

The 200 gig drive is at the sweet spot of gigs per dollar, for example a 200 gig drive cost me $185 locally and a 250 gig would cost another $100 approx...so up to 200 gig the price per gig is less than a dollar and for the extra 50 gig it costs another 2 dollars per gig...when it is averaged out it is not so bad...

If I was just getting 1 drive or even 2 I would get the 250 gig...I would also make it a removable drive setup so I could use the old 80 gig model and also plug the drive to my PC for data transfer and still have a drive in the Toppy for data recording

To do my ftool adjustment I did it on a Toppy formatted drive...the tool only flashes the drives FW, not the disk.

The way I did it, because I did not want to unplug anything from my PC (even tho I have done it many times while I was fine tuning drive access and Toppy removable drive access I decided to do it to yesterdays drive the same way when I did my other 2 drives when I had my laptop..You can't do the ftool process if all you have is a laptop...the drive has to be seen in bios, not as a USB device... ...

I went to an old Win 98 PC that I use for another purpose and unplugged the only drive, plugged in the new drive power and IDE and started the PC from scratch with the floppy as the first boot device.........You can leave other drives connected if you wish but it is easier with one drive connected and you cannot make a mistake,...just make sure you pick the correct drive to flash...Seagate drives won't flash with this tool...Tony had to use another tool for his Maxtor drive...a Maxtor tool as he has linked in his post.

Ask more if you wish...I want people to experience the full Toppy treatment...although it is the best PVR out of the box, the experience can be 3000% better...

foss

PS...as usual it has turned into an essay, but what I do and have done can't be said in a few words...

foss

Foss you had my hopes up for a second then! Its not a new tools for doing this by Toshiba - its actually the existing Hitachi tool, so there is still no solution for quietening Seagate drives.

Markus :blink:

Hi Markus,

Sorry..thats why I try to cover every aspect when I report....and I could not quieten the Seagate drive but i only tried briefly,...that does not mean that an acoustic tool is not available..I have not looked...

Off to golf now...CYA a bit later...Tony has a way of finding things ....perhaps if we all look we might find one somewhere or find a way to make the current tools work...I did not try too hard,,,

foss

The Hitachi tool does it on ANY compat AAM drive (it has a bunch of other tests etc for compatible drives too, it must use a standard method of activating these features that is part of the IDE spec). The only reason it didn't work on my Maxtor drive is that I chose the quietest option, which perhaps the Maxtor drive didn't support... when I chose the quiet option in the Maxtor tool and then tried the hitachi tool again, it certainly displayed that the Maxtor tool had changed the AAM parameter.. to a lesser level than the maximal value.

You just have to work out whether the HDD you are going to purchase supports AAM.

Regards

Maybe the Seagate PVR drive is not in that catagory...when I tried I got errors so I did not persist in case I stuffed up the Firmware

foss

The firmware in the PVR drive is apparently optimised for PVR use, so it doesn't have all the bog standard HDD features. It didn't support AAM, and as far as I can remember, hardly supported any of the options/features that the Hitachi tool is capable of changing/testing.

Regards