Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lucmor444

Datasat Rs20I

165 posts in this topic

I have just installed my Datasat RS20i. This is only a temporary instal as I am using a Gallo sa amplifier for some 2 channel listening while I wait for my new 7 channel amp. The Datasat is replacing a Lexicon MC12 with Audyssey SEQ.

What do I think.........?

WOW

A very significant improvement - so much better clarity and detail, so much more revealed while remaining warm and beguiling!

I have yet to run Dirac and now I am so impatient to try a movie in multi channel glory.

This pre pro coming from a pro maker looks like it has upgradeability in spades lucmor :) Surprised dolby truehd/dd+ wasnt mentioned in the specs ; must be there somewhere .. just saw the companies link to dts digital cinema - that explains things

Parametric; 31 1/3 octave bands and dirac auto eq - more comprehensive I couldnt imagine .Good comparison thread @ avs you just posted in ;hope the power amp isnt too long..

The Dolby HD codecs are confirmed for the RS20i and are due next month. DTS NEO X and Auro 3D are also on the way.

Edited by lucmor444

No surprise dolby ac3 was the extent of the initial offering ; its an intrigueing synergy a famous codec dts and modded equipment from the cinema .Should have a cutting edge advantage with auro's height channels and possibly specially mixed neo x bd discs :drool: Wont be the same reading datasat at the bottom of the credits unless you point it out to guests :poke:

Will be interesting if ada bryston etc go dolby atmos to differentiate ; if theyve got the channel capability that is :question: Its usually the middle range ces have all the dsp options maybe not for long..

Edited by cwt

What an incredible unit going by specs alone. Been following it's progress myself as well and would personally love to hear it one day to compare against other offerings. Very nice indeed.

Spoken to a contact in the U.S and the price is quite reasonable. I will say it costs more than the Anthem D2V. There is a Didac Live Installer Kit as well (Similar to the Audyssey Pro Kit) which you can purchase separately.

If I were to upgrade I am still leaning toward the ADA Cinema Rhapsody Mark IV / Trinnov TEQ-8 combination.

Blade

Blade - I haven't purchased the 'official' Datasat Installer kit but I am building the relevant components via individual purchases. The minor cost items (mic stand, cable, case etc) I can already provide using my Audyssey kit. By purchasing a new mic, usbpre mic and the Dirac Live software I will have an equivalent to the official kit at a saving to myself. If you go down the Datasat line then simply let me know and you can use my kit (and at least I would have someone else local to experiment with).

The ADA/Trinnov option is another great alternative. Like most of these decisions we have to make, it offers advantages to the Datasat while also some trade offs - it just depends on what you value most, with the reports being that Trinnov provides a truly remarkable 'in the movie' sound experience and exceptional flexibility with its 3D mapping.

Edited by lucmor444

Blade - I haven't purchased the 'official' Datasat Installer kit but I am building the relevant components via individual purchases. The minor cost items (mic stand, cable, case etc) I can already provide using my Audyssey kit. By purchasing a new mic, usbpre mic and the Dirac Live software I will have an equivalent to the official kit at a saving to myself. If you go down the Datasat line then simply let me know and you can use my kit (and at least I would have someone else local to experiment with).

The ADA/Trinnov option is another great alternative. Like most of these decisions we have to make, it offers advantages to the Datasat while also some trade offs - it just depends on what you value most, with the reports being that Trinnov provides a truly remarkable 'in the movie' sound experience and exceptional flexibility with its 3D mapping.

Thanks for that. I've spoken to Carl at length and the deal he's offered is pretty good. The "official" Dataset Dirac Live kit is fairly priced but I like the route you're taking.

There's certainly Pros and Cons between both ADA and Dataset units but that's what makes this hobby so interesting. If I had the opportunity I'd like to see (And hear) the Dataset in action for myself before taking the plunge (Not sure where you live).

Regards

Blade

Well I am running the RS20i through a 5.1 set up now (pending my pick up of my second sub and mounting of my new speaker set). Loving the sound it provides and may have time to try out Dirac Live this weekend if my wireless router arrives.

I sent an enquiry to the Australian Distribitor asking what the AU was going to be. I was going to post his reply here but suffice it to say my fears were well founded.

The price will be $23,500AU. Of course, I got all the same reasons "why" this was the case (Taxes, Import duty, "we get Full local support" (And why wouldn't we?) even though it's a component sourced form the U.S - yada yada). He then tried to tell me that if sourced from the U.S the unit would "not" be under warranty and I would "not" be able to buy or use the Dirac Room Correction Kit all of which is complete rubbish since I have been in communication with Carl Huff over the last 6 weeks.

The U.S price has had an increase to $18,500USD.

Blade

Unbeleivable how much bullshit the aus distributors want to rip us off and then wonder why we wont buy locally anymore. Stupid f&^%wits....pisses me off to no end.

The listed Australian price is actually less than I thought it may be - obvioulsy still high and a good margin for the distributor/dealer clearly factored in. Hopefully there is level of negotiation available with each individual dealer to make the final price more palatable.

Certainly true its a relative bargain compared to a $40000 ada mark 4 reference lucmor . Not so much an ada rhapsody + trinnov TEQ but at these rarefied levels an extra ad/da conversion may come into focus :question: Then again its apples/oranges ; one component vs 2 components when upgraeability is considered :hmm:

Edited by cwt

I'd like to extend a sincere thank-you to lucmor444 who took time from his precious weekend to bring his Datasat RS20i over so I could experience it first hand. Along for the ride was Macca and Buddhamus (Good to see you again gents!).

Wow - this is a fantastic Pre-Pro. It's built like a tank and its commercial cinema lineage is abundantly clear. The options and versatility on this processor to adjust/tweak/perfect the sound are quite mind-boggling including both Parametric & 1/3 Octave EQ's (Along with the Dirac Live! kit sold separately). It has full crossover control for all 16 channels (!) along with the most comprehensive Bass Management I have ever seen. The LCD touch display is superb with accurate tactility and a highly responsive, hi-res graphical display. The Processor can be controlled from Laptop, iPad or iPhone (All unit options are supported) wirelessly.

With just delays and trims set the sound was warm, punchy and very detailed. Surround steering was incredibly accurate.

This unit can only be described as a commercial cinema processor with a more consumer friendly chassis. It does nothing but audio either - no video processing here and no support for legacy analog video devices.

Superb.

Once again thanks for bringing it over Stephen!

Blade

Edited by BladeRnR

Id also like to extend a sincere thank you to Blade for opening his home to us and Lucmor444 for bringing this absolute beast of a unit along. The Datasat Rs20I is brilliant!....if I did have a spare $18,000 lying around id buy one for sure. Very smooth sounding/dynamic and very detailed processor. Not to mention how responsive the LCD was.....very fast and GUI was absolutely incredible!...also love that fact you can use your phone or tablet to control all the settings!. I was very surprised how good it sounded just with the trims and delays set in place!.........very, very nice!. Seatons as always.....never missed a beat with the massive sound stage they produce!.

Cheers again guys and thanks heaps for the invite :)

No worries gents. I could have listened to the RS20i for another 8 hours. Quite an incredible piece of kit.

Good to see everyone!

Blade

Finally ran Dirac Live tonight. Process was very easy to do, really no more complicated than an Audyssey Pro calibration but with much more flexibility albeit the measurements take longer to run. Haven't done extensive listening tests yet but with what I have done I have noticed greater clarity in the centre channel, a more enveloping sound stage and the detail/placement of sound being much improved. Very impressed.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0