• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

Looks like Telstra have announced their tbox foxtel afl package. Talk about a RIPOFF!!!

So basically-

Tbox: $11 a month or $299 outright
Basic starter foxtel pack: $19.50
Extra sports package: $10
Extra AFL package: $20

So works out $60.50 A MONTH or $50.50 if you get the $10 off multiple services bundle discount.
So pretty much the same price as a normal foxtel with sport package, but a fraction of the channels and quality?
Not to mention putting up with the t-box's operating quirks and faults and that the tbox foxtel feed is a limited quality internet stream (have to wait for channel loading, and the poor quality stream really struggles with fast motion and pans.)

Sure disadvantages that can be worn if it is alot cheaper, but at the same prices or close to what is the advantage?

If the prices on the website are a true indication of what is coming, this will have to end up a much hyped flop.
Just way to expensive for the limited channels you get, especially when you can get full foxtel with sport
(47 odd channels) for $61 A MONTH, and that is before you even see what deals they have going.

I will be amazed to see if anyone actually signs up for this ripoff.

#2 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Looks like Telstra have announced their tbox foxtel afl package. Talk about a RIPOFF!!!

So basically-

Tbox: $11 a month or $299 outright
Basic starter foxtel pack: $19.50
Extra sports package: $10
Extra AFL package: $20

So works out $60.50 A MONTH or $50.50 if you get the $10 off multiple services bundle discount.
So pretty much the same price as a normal foxtel with sport package, but a fraction of the channels and quality?
Not to mention putting up with the t-box's operating quirks and faults and that the tbox foxtel feed is a limited quality internet stream (have to wait for channel loading, and the poor quality stream really struggles with fast motion and pans.)

Sure disadvantages that can be worn if it is alot cheaper, but at the same prices or close to what is the advantage?

If the prices on the website are a true indication of what is coming, this will have to end up a much hyped flop.
Just way to expensive for the limited channels you get, especially when you can get full foxtel with sport
(47 odd channels) for $61 A MONTH, and that is before you even see what deals they have going.

I will be amazed to see if anyone actually signs up for this ripoff.

Thanks for keeping us informed. Sites like this are often the only way the real story comes out because the media can't say too much because they are always looking for that advertising dollar.

#3 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

Any wonder why people use the TV Now feature from OPTUS

#4 Paul55

Paul55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

Because of the cost. All of the profits from TV Now go to Optus and none to the AFL because Optus have (hopefully temporarily) found a devious way of avoiding paying for a product they are broadcasting. Therefore they can sell it cheaply.
I'm not an AFL fan so I'm not in the market for the package, but my T-Box has a big graphic on the home page quoting a figure of $49.95.
BTW, I agree with wilsact that the T-Box Foxtel package is a poor deal compared to 'proper' Foxtel.

#5 RMF

RMF

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

And why Demetriou is doing everything possible to stop Optus. :rolleyes:

#6 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:12 AM

Because of the cost. All of the profits from TV Now go to Optus and none to the AFL because Optus have (hopefully temporarily) found a devious way of avoiding paying for a product they are broadcasting. Therefore they can sell it cheaply.
I'm not an AFL fan so I'm not in the market for the package, but my T-Box has a big graphic on the home page quoting a figure of $49.95.
BTW, I agree with wilsact that the T-Box Foxtel package is a poor deal compared to 'proper' Foxtel.

I am more interested in what will happen with the NRL rights down the track- :) I just know many people who were hoping that this would be a cheaper and easier way into foxtel footy. Considering that this is foxtel lite, with just a few channels and lower video quality, it should be much cheaper. I also note they advertise it on their website for $49.95 not including the actual tbox costs. Sure it is somewhere in the fine print though.
To make this even more comical I have friends who have 'proper' foxtel with high def channels and the full sports package for only $70 a month. They also get IQ2 dual channel recording capabilities in this price after negotiating with foxtel!!! Wonder how much negotiating on price Telstra will allow? Very little I suspect.

Edited by wilsact, 19 February 2012 - 09:14 AM.

#7 Paul55

Paul55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:05 AM

I also note they advertise it on their website for $49.95 not including the actual tbox costs. Sure it is somewhere in the fine print though.

That's not really a fair comment if you are referring to the $11 p/m charge. The $11 is is because you chose to pay for the T-Box in installments (with no added costs) rather than buying it up front as you would any other PVR/STB. Surely you don't expect to get the hardware for free.
AKAIK, the download data is unmetered - so no added costs there.
I agree (as per my previous post) that the package wouldn't represent good value for many. However, there would be some in poor reception situations or who can't/don't want to get an installation who don't have the choice. This then becomes a sellers market. Remember, the cost to the consumer isn't always directly related to the quality of the product - the cost (to the retailer ) of delivery is part of the equation.
The good news is that the NBN should eventually help with the PQ issues.

#8 wilsact

wilsact

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

That's not really a fair comment if you are referring to the $11 p/m charge. The $11 is is because you chose to pay for the T-Box in installments (with no added costs) rather than buying it up front as you would any other PVR/STB. Surely you don't expect to get the hardware for free.
AKAIK, the download data is unmetered - so no added costs there.
I

Hey,
I know that, but I am not sure why it is an unfair comment. It is just a fact. Either way you still have to pay for the tbox whether it is monthly or upfront if you wish to view foxtel.
So the cost must be factored in.
In comparison foxtel regularly has offers that INCLUDE the equipment required and installation at no cost.
See below:

OFFER 2 - FREE* INSTALLATION (VALUE $100) on Sports with our Starter Pack.

For just $61* per month on a 12 month plan including FREE* installation you’ll get:
I am not trying to be an advertising agent for regular foxtel here, either way Telstra are a 50% owner in foxtel anyway, so they win if you sign up via tbox or the normal way. Just comparing the two options for those that might not have had the chance to do so. People see the $49.95 advertised and might think it is a cheaper easier option, when clearly it is not.

Also the point I was making about it being an internet stream is not that there is any further costs involved, only that whilst your tbox is running it is using bandwidth which will limit other users in your home when they are using the net. This is fairly relevant to people who are on adsl2 connections and not cable.

It most certainly is a sellers market, and I still cannot see why anyone would pay the same price for lower video quality, less channels, etc.
Also I highly doubt tbox would hold any advantages to people in poor reception areas. It is currently only available to people with cable or adsl2 regardless, where foxtel/austar is via satellite so covers a much much larger area.

I do have a tbox (friend gave it to me as he didn't want it) and have been trying out the foxtel option for a few months to test out quality, operations etc. So I am well aware of what it offers and its bugs etc. I have also previously had regular foxtel. The nail in Telstra tbox foxtel option coffin to me is that it is virtually the same price as normal foxtel! No way around this fact.

Edited by wilsact, 19 February 2012 - 11:04 AM.