Photo

Yet Again Dissapointment, Bloody Samsung Again !

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 graham johnson

graham johnson

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:21 AM

Buying flat screen TV's really is a joke.

1) 2005 Bought a Hitachi 42 inch plasma. had to take back 3 before I got one that had blacks unadulterated by colour and was actually black. But then it was incredibily reliable.

2) 2007 bought a 50 inch NEC plasma and 3 years of extended warantee $2900. The tv last 3 years and 1 month before the power supply died. They wanted $500 for a power supply, So I bought a new Panasonic 50 inch 50PZ800 which is still working great.

3) Bought a 63c7000 brand new christmas 2010, It lasted 2 weeks before it died with a black screen. took it back and bought a PANASONIC 65VT20 which is working great

4) bought an LG 42 inch LCD for the bedroom had to return 2 copies due to blacks being inconsistant across the screen The final one really looked crappy so I gave it to my son.

5) Bought a SAMSUNG 51PD5500 2 months ago. Fantastic picture. TILL TODAY !!! I now have an intermitten black line across the screen. I can see now this is gonna be a bung fight. I just hope it dies completely pretty soon.

IMO you really would need your head examined to buy a SAMSUNG TV.

ALL the Panasonic TV's I have bought are still running even the oldest one.

If you buy an expensive TV you would be an idiot not to buy the longest warrantee you can on any of them.

#2 OakenShield

OakenShield

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

Ease up :P

I'm looking at buying a Sammy as we speak - will be under full warranty though. I don't need my head examined, I think I know what I'm doing :P

I currently have an NEC 50" plasma that I bought in 2006 and it hasn't missed a beat. It's probably the same model! This is the only tv we have so you can imagine it gets plenty of use. Only reason I am upgrading is for bigger and 1080P.

It seems to me you've been a little unlucky :(

#3 com5984

com5984

AV Forums Member

• 2,737 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm loving my 64" Sammy although I did get the extended warranty, I think you've just been unlucky. I've had 6 flat screens in different rooms and times ranging from pana, lg, soniq and now the Sammy and have never had an issue with any.

#4 DigitalObserver

DigitalObserver

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hitachi - failed!
NEC - failed!
LG - failed!
Samsung - failed!
Panasonic, never failed!
Repeated satisfaction is usually a good reason why people repeat buy a brand.
My familly have a great regard for Hitachi, haven't missed abeat. I am a serial Samsung purchaser because my experiences are all good.
Everyones experience is different.
Why did you ever buy anything other than Panasonic?

#5 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,847 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Seems you have been very unlucky, most people dont experience failure even with no name brands, or notice the picture quality faults that all TV's have to some degree.
If long term reliability is a concern an extended warranty is a good idea with any brand.

I personally rate performance above reliability, if it does not offer the performance I require I would rather be rid of it.

#6 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:56 PM

did you ever properly calibrate any of these displays the looked horrible?

#7 graham johnson

graham johnson

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

The Hitachi was a fantastic TV in the end. It just kept working and working so I have a fair bit of respect for the brand. We sold it with our beach house and it was still working great after 6 years.

The NEC was a PXT50XD1 It looked fine But when it failed I did a bot of a search to see if any others have failed. To my dismay I found page after page of people reporting exactly the same failure with this set. It turns out that the majority of sets had exactly the same components on the PS board fail. The bastards at NEC knew they had designed a dog and turned their backs on it leaving everyone with a POS.

The only reason I tried yet another Samsung was price. It was only $699.......... I would never had thought in a 1000 years it would screw up after 3 months. What are the odds of buying yet another boat anchor.

All the sets except for the LG LCD looked pretty good.

The LG was just HORRIBLE. I had never seem such poor black levels and disgusting shading. It was just JUNK. No amount of calibration was going to fix that dog.

Edited by graham johnson, 17 February 2012 - 03:46 PM.

#8 hunterdata

hunterdata

AV Forums Member

• 57 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:15 AM

A lot will disagree with you, but why I do not know. I have steered clear of "Sammy" rubbish since a trifecta of binned Sammys back in the days of crts. Several other non AV products bearing their name have proved their lack of value since then and I no longer consider their products under any circumstances. I tried to warn a friend who purchased one of their 55" sets a while back... he went for what the salesman wanted to sell him ... yep a Sammy. What a pos it is too.
Their warranty service, or lack of it is legendary.

ALL the Panasonic TV's I have bought are still running even the oldest one.
My less than 4y/o Panasonic plasma died recently and is being replaced next week which leads me to your statement below.... It would not have been used a 100 hours in that time.

If you buy an expensive TV you would be an idiot not to buy the longest warrantee you can on any of them.
With plasmas they are a must, I will have a total of 6 years on my replacement set when it is delivered.

I prefer build quality and reliability over temporary performance. There are good performing reliable products out there, sadly they are not within the ranks of the 3 most commonly mentioned makes.

#9 diesel

diesel

AV Forums Member

• 13,782 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hitachi - failed!
NEC - failed!
LG - failed!
Samsung - failed!

Wonder if there's something weird happening with the OP's power supply that's causing them to have so many sets fail???

#10 graham johnson

graham johnson

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Wonder if there's something weird happening with the OP's power supply that's causing them to have so many sets fail???

No, happened at 3 separate addresses

#11 SLE355

SLE355

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

Is that the same examiner you'd see for paying $4K+ for a VT30? :poke:

I have 2 Panasonic's and a Samsung. :)

#12 wozzah1975

wozzah1975

AV Forums Member

• 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I recently purchased a Samsung PS51D6900 after having Panasonic TV's for my entire life. Bang for buck and picture quality compared to the equivelant Panasonic was far better in my opinion, to get the same picture in a Pana was another $800-1000.

The first Samsung lasted about 22hrs. Connected it up at about 6pm, ran for about 4 hours (enough to have a play and download a software update), turned it on the next day, brought up the "smart tv" start up screen and turned itself off, and proceeded to try and restart itself over and over again until power was turned off at the wall.

Took it back, no replacement available for 2-4weeks due to now stock. Rang and Emailed Samsung on a number of occations, customer service were useless to help out, in the end just waited.

Replacement turned up about 3 weeks later, and to date has been fine (touches wood!)

A few things.
- I find the tv guide slow and not as good as the panasonic layout
- The tuner isn't as good as the Panasonic. I have swapped them a few times to compare. On occations the Samsung will drop out given certain weather conditions, if you plug the Pana in its fine.
- The picture bang for buck is hard to beat (at the time of buying)
- The menus are all alot slower than the Pana, even the basic menus (but granted it has alot more features)

As far as customer service goes, in this day and age they're all as bad as one another, but I did find Samsung at the lower end of bad. They refused to listen and were unhelpfull. They suggested doing things that were clearly stated in my emails already done, and I had to repeat the email process on a number of occations and repeat myself again.

Same with the TV's, the quality has dropped on all of them with current manufacturing.

The best thing is in my opinion to find a good retailer so you don't have to deal with the companies, and mine bent over backwards to help me out. Ringing Samsung was a last resort.

Cheers
Woz

#13 Bosch

Bosch

AV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

My brother's 6+ year old 50-inch Panasonic is still working flawlessly.

The only issue it had was one HDMI input (goes to show how old it is) but that's been solved with a combo STB, DVD, Blu-ray player with web connectivity and USB input. Black levels aren't as good as newer TVs, but for most content / non-critical viewing it's fine.

My uncle's 7+ year old 42-inch Panny still worked, but with the remote control buggered it was a nightmare to operate. He moved it to the bedroom and bought a Samsung LED LCD.

Edited by Bosch, 07 March 2012 - 01:49 PM.

#14 TheFrog

TheFrog

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thing is, a 50in 1080p Panasonic plasma is now $700.....they were near 3k or more in early 2008.

#15 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

yes you CAN buy a 50in Pana Plasma for $700
but you can still buy a much better 50" Pana Plasma for nearly $3k

all depends whether you want one that's really nice to watch HQ movies and Sport on,
or just a TV to see the news.

While the panel themselves may be very similar or the same across the different ranges,
the hardware and software that drives them is VERY different and that's where the PQ gets different

#16 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,847 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

What 50" Panasonic costs anywhere near $3k? :logik: You can buy two top of the range VT 50"s for less than that.
The much cheaper ST performs just as well out of the box and even after calibrating both there is bugger all difference.

#17 TheFrog

TheFrog

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

What 50" Panasonic costs anywhere near $3k? :logik: You can buy two top of the range VT 50"s for less than that.
The much cheaper ST performs just as well out of the box and even after calibrating both there is bugger all difference.

This is what I've read, plus my plasma is a 42in 768p, so HD will benefit from 1080p+50in+NEO panel if you add $150 more.....and my TV is very good, even 10mb 1080i can look extremely good.

#18 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

What 50" Panasonic costs anywhere near $3k? :logik: .

http://www.bhphotovi...ofessional.html

Ok so the RRP of a 50" VT30 is $2200 (and yes we all know that you can buy them cheaper)

#19 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forums Member

• 5,712 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

I agree Diesel. I've had a few sets fail years back (NEC and Palsonic CRT's) and it turned out to be my power supply... also lost a fridge and almost a hot water heater. Often it can be an issue for the whole area not just one house, although in my case it was just our building.

Graham, have an electrician check your power supply mate anyway. Were the 3 addresses in a similar area? You may have an oscillating voltage, noisy supply or regular spikes and/or minor surges. Power supplies and sensitive parts will often not last long under these conditions. It's just luck that the Panny's haven't failed and bad luck the others have IMO. If you do a search on almost any model you will find horror stories, no need to go bagging certain brands. There is a level of inherent failures in all companies electronic products, some a little more than others. Samsung products usually fare quite well in this regard though, but it really depends on individual models and the parts used (many products use the same parts), not brands.

Have you been running quality surge protectors with a low clamping voltage or any power filters?

JSmith :ninja:

#20 fredofrog

fredofrog

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

power boards failed on my 4 yo Panny last week. Waiting for quote on repair. It was assembled in Japan but had a parts bin including Korea, China and Slovakia as well as Japan. SO much for the 100,000 hr panel life if the unit fails at less than 10k

Edited by fredofrog, 15 March 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#21 Owen

Owen

AV Forums Member

• 11,847 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

http://www.bhphotovi...ofessional.html Ok so the RRP of a 50" VT30 is $2200 (and yes we all know that you can buy them cheaper)

The commercial Panasonic's have never performed better than the domestic models, they are just physically more robust to withstand frequent moving / rough handing and have inputs appropriate for the broadcast industry. You can get the same picture quality in a 50" ST for $1000 or less and the 65" is now about $2600.

Edited by Owen, 15 March 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#22 graham johnson

graham johnson

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Graham, have an electrician check your power supply mate anyway. Were the 3 addresses in a similar area? You may have an oscillating voltage, noisy supply or regular spikes and/or minor surges. Power supplies and sensitive parts will often not last long under these conditions. It's just luck that the Panny's haven't failed and bad luck the others have IMO. If you do a search on almost any model you will find horror stories, no need to go bagging certain brands. There is a level of inherent failures in all companies electronic products, some a little more than others. Samsung products usually fare quite well in this regard though, but it really depends on individual models and the parts used (many products use the same parts), not brands.
Have you been running quality surge protectors with a low clamping voltage or any power filters?

No, the houses have been from one end of Melbourne to the other and in the case of the NEC, Phillip Island. Its plain and simple BAD DESIGN amd poor quality equipment. No other failures of any other equipment whatsoever at any of the other houses.

Edited by graham johnson, 20 March 2012 - 10:12 PM.

#23 graham johnson

graham johnson

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Well its not Intermitten anymore. Will call Samsung now seeing they are not going to think I am fibbing

#24 digital doctor spock

digital doctor spock

AV Forums Member

• 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

We had a 42" seven year old plasma which had worked faultlessly and late last year I thought it time to upgrade with a Samsung 55" 3D LED LCD. The first Samsung arrived and immediately it had a stuck pixel so a phone call was made and eventually and second unit arrived and when it was switched on it would pixelate for the first 20 minutes on all channels then it would come good. Another phone call was made and I requested not a Samsung but a 55" 3D Panasonic Plasma. The 55" Panasonic is outstanding in most respects (the internet capability could be improved). So now we are very happy campers. A few weeks later my wife decided it was time for the Sony CRT to go so we replaced it with a Sony Bravia 3D LED LCD and it too is surprisingly good for a LCD and it's internet capability is better than the Panasonic, I reckon it is still pipped by the Panasonic in terms of picture quality though. Very happy not to have anything more to do with Samsung!

When it was also decide to update the twin tuner Sony HD PVR because it only had a 160 GB HDD I did look at a Samsung twin tuner HD PVR but it could not record two channels simultaneously as advised by tech support at Samsung. Now we have a lovely Panasonic PVR that works beaut!

#25 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forums Member

• 5,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

... eventually a second unit arrived and when it was switched on it would pixelate for the first 20 minutes on all channels then it would come good.

Sounds like you had a reception issue on the Samsung (various internal tuners have different sensitivities) which could have been easily rectified. There was no need to return it.

Glad to hear your happy with your Sony and Pana, but no need to bag particular manufacturers products when there was nothing wrong with it, and many other happy customers.