• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:21 PM

I love the Pio LX608a I got as part fo the GB but over the years it has started to look .... small! So what is the next quality upgrade in size (it is not a light controlled room so a PJ is out)? Is there a top quality 80 or 100 inch Plasma that everyone is lining up for and I have just missed it or has the market peaked and just settled for cheap crap?
Thanks
Nathan

#2 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

I love the Pio LX608a I got as part fo the GB but over the years it has started to look .... small! So what is the next quality upgrade in size (it is not a light controlled room so a PJ is out)? Is there a top quality 80 or 100 inch Plasma that everyone is lining up for and I have just missed it or has the market peaked and just settled for cheap crap?
Thanks
Nathan

trust me as a kuro owner, try to see what can do to light control your room. added a drop down screen in front of my kuro. so get to use plasma for everyday tv and during the day with curtains open and pj for movies and cricket either in evenings / night or during the day with the blinds closed :)

#3 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:00 PM

Even so - we have a seating distance of a bit under 3m....a 100" screen would be ideal say a Pio LX100a would be the dogs bollocks for us!

#4 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

jmone ...you wish hehe

unfortunately to follow on from your original post. since pio exited the plasma business basically its just cheap cr@p the race to the bottom.

viewing a 92" 16:9 screen myself from 3.2m so not sure I'd go any bigger at distance viewing from.

#5 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

Sounds fair - so what do you use suggest to push a quality image over this distance and that size?

#6 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

Sounds fair - so what do you use suggest to push a quality image over this distance and that size?

I'm using the epson 9000 projector with a 92" 16:9 screen technics motorised screen.

re image quality, can check out some of the screen shots have posted in the owners thread here :)

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1765144

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1765146

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1765400

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1765769

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1766912

http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1768266

will get some feel for whats achievable :)

#7 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:41 PM

Mmmmm Was/Is there a GB on this puppy? Suggestions on price / retailer?

#8 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

there was a gb on this, got a feeling its over, but worth a check by pm'ing yorac to see if too late or not :)

http://www.dtvforum....showtopic=96405

#9 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Done - posted in the thread! As a newb on the PJ/screens - any advice on the screen you use? Eg does in come down from a "Box" on the ceiling or up or swing sideways to then cover the Plasma?

#10 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

its just a box you mount to the celing and it lowers down in front of the plasma.

I use the screen technics electricinema
http://www.screentechnics.com.au/screen-technics-products/view-product.php?v=12

the lp morgan rondo is a very good screen as well
http://www.lpmorgan.com.au/rondo_product.html

both screens are australian made, the chinese ones are about half the price. ebay chinese ones cheaper and half the price again ! .

you can hook up a trigger cable from the screen to the pj, so minute you switch it on the screen comes down the same time :)

this is my setup with projection screen out the way
front_stage_IMG_1161.jpg

this is how looks with screen lowered
IMG_3149.jpg

#11 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

I view a 70" TV and 100" projector screen from 3 metres, the 100" is MUCH better for movies and I would not want to go smaller. For the few high quality movies I could easily go a little larger.

If you want the sort of contrast you are used to with the Kuro you have to buy a JVC projector, no other projector comes close to the JVC's for contrast and there is a group buy on now.

If you dont mind spending up big on a screen you can get a high tech one that provides a decent picture in a non dark room.

#12 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:39 PM

I paid $10K for the Kuro.... so I'm not interested in going backward on quality for the sake of size. Will check out the JVC GB as well (is this the one with all the rants in it and which model would you recomend?), also what is the screen you are talking about?
Thanks gents

Edit - **Confused** there seems to be two JVC GB with rants in it! So I'm not sure which one you are refering to Owen...

Edited by jmone, 16 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#13 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,920 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

You wont go backward in quality, quite the opposite. Most people consider the image produced buy the JVC's is well above Plasma quality.

There are two group buys, get a quote on each and make up your own mind on which to go with, if either.

The X30 is the one to go for, the more expensive X70 is more suited to much larger screens and is not needed for a 100" unless you are going to view it from 2 metres.

The ambient light rejection screens are the DNP Surpernova and the Screen Innovations Black Diamond. The DNP seems like the better product but both do a similar job and dramatically improve contrast and blacks in non ideal viewing environments. Both come in low gain and high gain versions, the low gain is ideal for a light controlled environment with white ceiling and light coloured walls which normally cause problems for front projection, while the high gains versions are for brighter rooms or for those who like a very bright picture at the expense of black level.
Even with a clever screen there is no substitute for total darkness when doing serious viewing.

Edited by Owen, 16 February 2012 - 09:38 PM.

#14 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for the advice gents - posted in the threads....

Now decisions decisions!

#15 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I saw the Pana 103" today and apart from the 60K price looked good. Even the Pana 85" is waaaay to much at $40K. The rep did say they expected the Sharp 85" to hit around the $10K mark but did admit it would be the same "quality" as their current LCD/LED range.... Unfortunatly, It seems there is no accepatable flat panel soln in the next year or so back to PJ's....

#16 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:55 PM

if seen these panels theyre massive behemoths too. hardly practical in either physical size or price. I find my plasma good for everyday tv, especially since blowing that up anymore bigger in size can look average. and using the pj for movies etc that are more suited to the larger screen experience :)

#17 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

What! 200KG bolted to the wall makes a statement!

#18 :)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

What! 200KG bolted to the wall makes a statement!

yep am sure it does ! does anyone actually buy those behemoths :D

#19 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,920 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

It seems there is no accepatable flat panel soln in the next year or so back to PJ's....

Yep, that's why I purchased a projector.
My 70" Sony TV died and I did not expect it to be repairable so I ordered a projector as a replacement as non of the flat panels where up to scratch for size or quality and that situation does not look like it will change any time soon.
As it turns out the Sony was repaired and is as good as new, but I don't for a moment regret getting the JVC projector.

The Sony is still used for general TV and Foxtel/Austar viewing, but for Bluray movies the projector rules.

If a top quality 100" plus flat panel becomes available I'll be interested even if it is 200kg.

Edited by Owen, 17 February 2012 - 09:45 PM.

#20 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,369 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

Yep, that's why I purchased a projector.

Owen I read the review on projector central for the X30 and they rate the 3D performance not so good lots of flicker have you seen or heard of this

cheers laurie

#21 Mining Man

Mining Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,820 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

~
There are two group buys, get a quote on each and make up your own mind on which to go with, if either.
~

That seems awfully logical and sensible, Owen.

I would have thought the preferred approach on this forum would be to get dirty in personal attacks and arguments, and base your decision around your perception of integrity of the organiser, irrespective of their relevance once you begin dealing directly with the retailer?!?

#22 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:05 PM

Owen I read the review on projector central for the X30 and they rate the 3D performance not so good lots of flicker have you seen or heard of this cheers laurie

3D performance is not great but It depends on how important 3D performance is to you. The JVC's offer the best 2D performance going, with native contrast at least 3 times that of the nearest competition.

I have owned an X3 for about 6 months (same performance as the X30), viewed a couple of well regarded 3D titles and gave 3D up as a bad joke. I packed the 3D glasses and transmitter back in their boxes where they will stay until the projector is sold, not because the JVC did such a terrible job with 3D but because 3D looks so farcically unrealistic and contrived to me I find it annoying and distracting.

If I where interested in 3D I would buy a cheap 3D capable DLP projector for 3D content and keep the JVC for real movies. DLP's are best for 3D.

#23 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,920 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

That seems awfully logical and sensible, Owen.

I would have thought the preferred approach on this forum would be to get dirty in personal attacks and arguments, and base your decision around your perception of integrity of the organiser, irrespective of their relevance once you begin dealing directly with the retailer?!?

I'm a logical sort of dude. :D

Its a great shame that people feel it is ok to personally attack and abuse others on a public forum when they would not dare do so person. The people who jump in and retaliate in kind are no better, two wrongs don't make a right.

Edited by Owen, 18 February 2012 - 08:14 PM.

#24 mjs

mjs

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:50 PM

I'm a logical sort of dude. :D

Its a great shame that people feel it is ok to personally attack and abuse others on a public forum when they would not dare do so person. The people who jump in and retaliate in kind are no better, two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes, one wonders what different sorts of conversations we would have if we're all in the same room together!!