• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Stevie.B

Stevie.B

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

This may seem like a silly question to many but why are anamorphic lenses so expensive. im wanting a scope screen but cant seem to justify the lens costing as much or more than my projector (jvc x3). please convince me

stevie b

Edited by Stevie.B, 15 February 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#2 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

Because a lot of engineering goes into them and they then sell so few. Mark or other probably could go into detail though. Should you get one? I like the fact I have one as it is better than zooming IMHO, but you can use that method and save up.

#3 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,984 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

What makes you think you need a scope lens for a scope screen?
If you are using a screen so large you can see the pixel structure of the X3 it makes more sense to sell it and buy an X70, and if you want more brightness get a higher gain screen.

#4 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

anything involving large optics and selling in extremely small volumes is only going to mean one thing...extremely high cost.

and as with anything, have to make your own value judgement. work out whether its something worth the outlay. for some it is and for others its not..

#5 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Well I have read some articles about making an A. Lens yourself. A bit of a McGuyver job but worth investigating never the less. here's an awesome link
http://www.zuggsoft....eater/prism.htm

#6 mr-happy-pants

mr-happy-pants

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

You can also register a Want to Buy 2nd hand.

Ya never know, maybe someone has one they're upgradigng or not using.

#7 oztheatre

oztheatre

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:00 AM

Well I have read some articles about making an A. Lens yourself. A bit of a McGuyver job but worth investigating never the less. here's an awesome link
http://www.zuggsoft....eater/prism.htm

Wow that page is still there! It's really old now. Take a look near the bottom and you will see a photo of the grid on the right, that's what your image will look like. Far better off zooming vs using a 2 prism/2 element design. You will turn your image into mush using that design. Really nasty results.

You are far better off with at least a 5 element prism/cylinder lens like the prismasonic hd5000R or a slight step up to the crystalmorphic or mk5 lenses.

Or just get a 4K JVC Projector and use the lens memory. I am currently using the X70 using the lens memory to see how it goes. So far so good, no screen door whatsoever and bright enough too.

#8 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Wow that page is still there! It's really old now. Take a look near the bottom and you will see a photo of the grid on the right, that's what your image will look like. Far better off zooming vs using a 2 prism/2 element design. You will turn your image into mush using that design. Really nasty results.

You are far better off with at least a 5 element prism/cylinder lens like the prismasonic hd5000R or a slight step up to the crystalmorphic or mk5 lenses.

Or just get a 4K JVC Projector and use the lens memory. I am currently using the X70 using the lens memory to see how it goes. So far so good, no screen door whatsoever and bright enough too.

Richard,

Since you've been playing with the X70, how does the lens memory function rate against a stand alone A.Lens? On a scale say '10' for a perfect PQ match (unlikely) and '0' for no comparison....would really like to know.

#9 oztheatre

oztheatre

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Richard,

Since you've been playing with the X70, how does the lens memory function rate against a stand alone A.Lens? On a scale say '10' for a perfect PQ match (unlikely) and '0' for no comparison....would really like to know.

Let me try it with the lenses and then I'll have a better idea. Keep in mind, the lens memory means there is nothing extra in the light path to degrade (even if slightly) the image. No pincushion, no softness, no grid distortion etc.

The point of the 4k res is that screen door is a non event and is why some use a lens to begin with - to get the 1080 lines on screen vs 810 with zooming.
So it would work out to 3840 x 1620 (2 x 810) giving you 6,220,800 pixels on screen vs 1920 x 1080 if using a lens with a 1080 projector giving you 2,073,600 pixels.
3 x 2,073,600 = 6,220,800 so 3 times the pixels (even though the source is 1080 and the projector uses a clever method to display the pixels)
For zooming on a 1080P projector it's 4 times the pixels @ 1920 x 810 = 1,555,200

I blew my screen up the other night.....

to a 200 inch scope image zoomed, at 3.5 metres I could not see any pixels whatsoever. It was a little noisy and would depend on the quality of the movie to begin with.

These JVC's are going to make for some pretty massive screens...