14 replies to this topic

#1 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi guys,

I am having a really tough time deciding between which of these 2 sets to purchase & was hoping I could get a few opinions/advice to help me decide.

The set will be replacing my current 65" which is a S20A and will be displayed in the living area. Viewing content will vary between FTA, Foxtel & Blu Ray. My main reasons for the upgrade are the S20A has quite poor black levels IMO & also has no 3D.

I have been chopping and changing my mind between these 2 sets, and I'm starting to get more confused i think with the more i read the various reviews. lol.

Pricing on both sets are both very similar from what I have found with the D8000 coming in about $150 cheaper in some instances. But at the current price point, that $150 is really neither here or there and will not play a part in the decision between the 2 sets,

I recently purchased a 42st30a and was quite impressed with the picture & black levels etc (even though I have not tweaked it too much at this point). I have ordered 2 sets of 3D glasses for this set, so I will have the option of using them with the Panasonic if that's what I end up going with.

The Samsung seems to get quite good reviews though on the forums/websites I have read. So forums I have read have actually said it is better than the 65VT30A which is very interesting if true.

Looks wise I prefer the pana, but thats only because I'm not a big fan of the silver bezel that the D8000 has.... But again, this is only a minor issue and isn't a make or break factor to my wife or I.

One of the salesman at HN kinda warned me off the Samsung, saying that it has a fault with that series in that the white levels have a pink tinge to it. He pointed it out, but it wasn't super noticable as far as I could tell. I mean I could see it but it wasn't glaring at me (which could be different once set up at home). Does anyone have any experience regarding this issue?

If I could get a few opinions as to what people think is the better tv/choice (picture quality wise & build quality) between the 2 and why it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

#2 pgdownload

pgdownload

DTV Forums Master

• 11,464 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

Both are pretty much top notch TVs at a great price - doubt you'd be upset with either choice.

You're right this forum seems to be leaning towards the D8000 as the current king (but that's by a pretty slim margin).

The pink "issue" seems to be something a few people find unbearable but as you've said, it doesn't appear to be of much concern to you having seen it in action.

Reading all you've said it would appear the Panasonic would be a better match for you. You like the bezel better, one technology of compatible 3D glasses only and no lingering doubts about pink.

You've done the homework and narrowed down the field to a top few contenders. Neither choice is going to be a mistake.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload, 14 February 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#3 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply mate, I appreciate it.

Yeah the ST is what I'm currently leaning toward, especially now I have seen a few reports of the D8000 screen developing small cracks over time and Samsung not honoring the warranty for such things :(

The C7000 was the best TV i had seen when I looked at it a few years back, I loved everything about it, but I struggled to get one at the time I was looking, hence how I ended up with a s20, which over the next month or so I eventually regretted.

From what I've read this year round though, is that the ST & GT series are extremely close in quality and performance, with the VT being another step up (and an additional $1400-ish though).

The main thing that kept me going back to the Samsung is that with the majority of reviews I read, it really maxed out its score.... In fact I don't know if I seen any that came in with under 4.5 out of 5 / 8 out of 10. Which is quite impressive by any rating.

Also, I know Owen has always spoken of this model in pretty high regard(mainly the real black filter from memory), so that has always stuck in my head too.

Like you said though, there probably isn't a wrong choice. It's probably me just giving my OCD a workout. lol

#4 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:02 PM

Hi mate,

You may want to research the St30 a little bit more first, apparently of AV Forums and AVS Forums there is plenty of talk regarding "green splodges" appearing across the screens of VT, GT and ST30's with many posters wishing they had gone for the D8000 instead.

Just my 2 cents.

BB

#5 re-boot

re-boot

DTV Forums Member

• 372 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:50 PM

Why not wait until the Panasonic 2012 series is released?

It's not that long until they're released.

The 2011 models had too many issues for my liking, (uniformity issues - green/pink tinges, buzzing, FBr), so I struck that off my list for consideration to replace my VT20 (as the FB's still really annoy me even after a year of owning it!).

I'm biding my time to see how the VT50 performs, as it's not too far away until it's released, and see what (if any) issues this TV has.

In my eyes, Panasonic has got the basics wrong for the past couple of years, so I'm hoping this year is their turning point.

Having said that, if I were in your position and wanted a panel now, I'd go for the Sammy.

#6 com5984

com5984

DTV Forums Member

• 2,736 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

I was facing the same choice and ended up getting the Sammy , which Im very happy with. I adjusted the settings as per the avs forum and find the pq amazing.

#7 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Hi guys, thank you for your thoughts/opinions so far.

Buster, yeah I did see mention of the green blob issue in my reading earlier this afternoon. Making my head spin even more now. lol. I will look into it a bit more throughout my reading tonight.

Re-boot, the waiting game is not really an option in my situation, the reason being is because a friend of mine wants to buy my 65S20A now, so effectively this will leave me with no TV in the living area. So with that said, I really only have 2 viable options. That being, 1) Decline the sale and just keep my 65S20A or; 2) Sell the 65S20A as planned and replace it with something else right away.

To add to that, the prices on the sets are quite good at the moment from what I have seen. JB Hifi told me $2900 for the Sammy, and I have seen it $200 less than that also. They also just offered me a VT30 for $4000, I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend the extra though.... Although I am considering it.

In saying that, if the picture on the samsung is close that of the VT30, that is quite an increase in $ to layout for a minor (if any?) improvement. I have little doubt that the VT50 will probably improve (fix?) a lot of the current issues, but I'm guessing that is going to come with a decent price tag also (I think the entire new range will) compared to the price point the run out models are at now.

Com, yeah I've been at this choice between these 2 models for the last 2 weeks or so (constantly). Did you happen to get a chance to compare the 2 in a store. I'm having trouble finding them both in the one store. Do you have any complaints about it at all? Pink tinge in the white levels? The demo loop that I have seen them run in store looks nothing short of amazing, but obviously that is the best it's ever going to look.

My main concern with this unit, is the reading I done today about the screens developing small cracks and samsung refusing to fix the problem seeing it is physical damage, so Samsung are (apparently) saying that it is user inflicted. That kinda scares the hell out of me if true. I will most likely be purchasing extended warranty on either set making it 5 years in total, but in the case of the samsung, I can't see the 3rd party warranty provider (Lumley) wanted to come to the party on what appears to be physical damage as they could easily say it was cause by the user too.

Can you tell me what ultimately helped you decide to go for the Samsung?

Thanks again for all the replies so far guys. It is a great help.

#8 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Update to this:

Well today I pulled the trigger and went with the Samsung from JB. Price ended up being $2750 which included delivery & 5 year warranty. I just pray that I don't get the internal cracked screen problem as I do hang my plasmas on the wall (which is meant to be a big part of what causes the crack with this model.

I have read a lot of posts over the last day about the cracked screen problem and AR coating peeling off the screen, but I am just hoping that this was a problem with the early tv in this production. Also, I'm guessing that with Samsung selling soooooo many plasmas, the problems i have read about and only a tiny minority% over all compared with all the sets that they have sold/are out there.

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

DTV Forums Master

• 11,464 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Congrats,

I suspect you're right in the numbers of times the cracking actually occurs. Forum types like me tend to grab little tidbits like that and before you know it every second post is warning you about the "issue". If did hit a substantial number of units then I've no doubt we'd have heard a lot more first hand accounts about it.

Enjoy the screen

Peter

#10 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thanks Peter.

Yeah the more I read, the more my OCD started to come into play I think with the stress etc. I don't think I've ever had such a hard time choosing a TV before. lol. So I just have to hope I haven't made a bad decision.

But like you mentioned earlier, this set is considered (or was considered?) to be king on this forum (and some others), So I don't think a bad decision is possible. In the end it was about $5000 cheaper than the panasonic too. Again, this wasn't the issue of the $ provided I got the better overall TV, however if I paid and extra $500 for an inferior TV, then I would have been a little disappointed :)

Thanks again mate.

#11 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,844 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I dont remember anyone on this forum ever reporting cracks in a Sammy plasma so it is not a significant issue.

#12 jliang70

jliang70

DTV Forums Member

• 2,668 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Can you tell me what ultimately helped you decide to go for the Samsung?

Thanks again for all the replies so far guys. It is a great help.

The reason I choose Samsung over Panasonic is simple, the price/performance of the Samsung is much better than Panasonic. I just don't think the pq of panasonic is worthy of its premium over Samsung. I went with 59' Samsung so I save over $2000 over 65' Panasonic and that money was used to fund my purchase of Lumagen which I can use with both my JVC projector and Samsung. The combination of Lumagen and Samsung provided me with better PQ than a standalone 65 inch Panasonic VT.

#13 Owen

Owen

DTV Forums Master

• 11,844 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:38 PM

Its not just a price/performance issue, the Samsung D8000 outperforms the Panasonic's in just about every way except black level.

The Panasonic ST is a good buy but the VT is hard to justify given it performs little differently to the VT. The GT is an orphan as it has problems.

#14 brett134

brett134

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:25 AM

I dont remember anyone on this forum ever reporting cracks in a Sammy plasma so it is not a significant issue.

Hey Owen,

Yeah it was mainly on cnet and a couple of others.

I agree with you with the ST being a good buy. The 42" ST that I got from JB hifi last week for $644 delivered, blew me away. Out of all the plasmas I have owned, this had the best pic to date. That is what gave me the urge to upgrade the S20A when someone offered to buy it.

I have wanted a Samsung for quite a while now, but I always seem to end up going Panasonic, and regretting the choice in past years. Ironically, now that I have finally gone the way of the samsung just happens to be when Panasonic have their best line available at that price point (EG: this years 65ST30A is the same price give or take as last years 65S20A, the the ST30 pic quality appears to kick the S20A right in the arse!!!)

I must say though, whenever I see that demo that Samsung has going of the Ferris wheel, balloons etc I am always left extremely impressed. The pic quality it displays during that demo is never anything short of amazing :)

#15 re-boot

re-boot

DTV Forums Member

• 372 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:00 AM

I think you made the right choice.

Also came across this today, which should make you feel even better about picking the Sammy.

http://my.opera.com/dierkdr/blog/