• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 afmartyn

afmartyn

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

Have a panasonic P50V20A which has been great in all respects put sound drives me mad when kids are using as they keep turning it up so they can hear properly, and I thought us oldies were supposed to be deaf!. Has considering building cheap amp (or finding one in hard waste collection) and connecting up some old but good kenwood small speakers I have to improve quality and direction of sound but thought why not pull the back off and and put a few wires and switch in to power either external or internal speakers. TV says it can supply 10W (rms??) per channel so sounds OK and don't really care about the whole movie home theatre stuff. Anybody ever done this?

#2 bucket23

bucket23

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:00 AM

Have you tried changing the sound profile to "speech". Also turn off the surround sound mode as well.
These two items will make a heap of difference and should mean the voices are louder than what they were.
I have had to do this to all my pana plasmas as without this being done I was having to have the volume upto 30 just to hear what they were saying, however with these two changes I can now listed with the volume at about 12.

#3 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

The audio equalisation is tailored to the internal speakers and may not work well connecting other speakers directly..... you may well end up with even less volume connecting external speakers this way.

An external amp and speakers will be far superior, will not void any warranty on the TV you may have and prevent the risk of damage you may cause disassembling and reassembling the TV and altering things inside.

Changing audio settings as mentioned would be the first thing to try... and if that doesn't provide sufficient volume/clarity..... use a separate amp and speakers.

#4 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,584 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:45 AM

Not sure what you're price range is but you could possible buy a decent cheap PC speaker set and plug it into the headphones 3.5 jack in the back of the TV? Something like this maybe for $70.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#5 afmartyn

afmartyn

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, have done the fiddling with audio before and still reckon its pretty average. Guess a lt depends on what the sepakers are firing into out back of TV. Like Peter's suggestion for the price and they have had good reviews plus with DSE policy can try out and if no good return. Still tempted to pull back off and have a look.

#6 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,562 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:16 PM

afmartyn
My previous post has not appeared.
There is an electrocution and fire risk because of the high voltage supply inside and there is also a switchmode power supply which is connected directly to the mains.

So if there is a fire your insurance company may easily not pay.

What is more important is why your children need the volume increased. If you have to shout whilst they are watching TV they are causing hearing damage. Long periods using portable players into headphones is a serious risk. I suggest you get an audiogram done through your Doctor.

AlanH

#7 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,806 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:56 PM

Have a panasonic P50V20A which has been great in all respects put sound drives me mad when kids are using as they keep turning it up so they can hear properly, and I thought us oldies were supposed to be deaf!.

I have exactly this model set.

I have exactly this problem with hearing speech because my ears are stuffed. This could have something to do with the speakers facing down onto the hard surface the TV sits on. It could also have something to do with my practice of standing very close to speakers when attending rock concerts many years ago.

The internal speakers of the TV are rated 6Ω, 12.5W, with spade lug connections.

I have some Panasonic speakers I recovered from a Panasonic boom box thingy, also rated 6Ω, 90W.

I didn't want to have a separate amplifier.

My set is out of warranty.

As I are a technician, it was no biggy to fit these speakers to the set.

The sound quality for my purpose is much improved, particularly speech.

Your mileage, should you decide to go down this path, may vary, depending on your skill & expertise.

If something goes wrong, you may brick your set.

#8 afmartyn

afmartyn

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks, M'bozo think I know what I'm doing being an electronics engineer (yes I know the giggles that gets from the technicians) but although my soldering nots so great I can use a mutimeter and oscilloscope! No I am not deaf and have my ears tested every 2 years but some times think my kids are! Actually what I find is that the relative volume on ABC kids is way louder than ABC1.

#9 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,806 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:40 PM

My previous post has not appeared.

A search quickly finds it here

and there is also a switchmode power supply which is connected directly to the mains.

I would hope the mains is connected to the power supply for this model set. I'm not sure how it could otherwise function.

Thanks, M'bozo think I know what I'm doing being an electronics engineer (yes I know the giggles that gets from the technicians)

No problem there, when I was an apprentice some of the best in house training was from engineers.

The Panasonic has an earthed chassis (stating the bleeding obvious for some).

Probably stating the obvious again, the speaker leads need to be kept isolated from ground, and each other.

(I think this is the chip used as an audio amplifier in this set.)

#10 afmartyn

afmartyn

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

A search quickly finds it here

I would hope the mains is connected to the power supply for this model set. I'm not sure how it could otherwise function.

No problem there, when I was an apprentice some of the best in house training was from engineers.

The Panasonic has an earthed chassis (stating the bleeding obvious for some).

Probably stating the obvious again, the speaker leads need to be kept isolated from ground, and each other.

(I think this is the chip used as an audio amplifier in this set.)

Thanks for thumbs up for engineers, yes we all have some good ideas but it is sometimes better for someone else to implement. Thanks for the info on chip, THD figures are a bit frightening compared to other amps but hard to tell without graph how bad.

Andy