9 replies to this topic

#1 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hi guys,
Getting a new installation today with a HD Iq and multi room. We have your standard living room set up with a 42" SD plasma and middle of the road surround set up. We also have a dedicated HT room with a projector and scope screen which I want to watch the HD footy and occasional movie or doco in.

My question is this. Which room should I put the Iq in and which should get the multi-room box? I assume the multi room box will pass through what ever definition is native to the channel being watched? Can you "stream" recorded HD files from the Iq to the multi room box? If so I would get the Iq in the family room. If not the Iq goes in the HT room.

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Multiroom just means more than one decoder in the house and it can be any combination of decoders... standard, iQ, iQ2 etc.

Your decription suggests you are getting one iQHD box and a standard box. Is that what you are calling the 'multiroom' box... just a standard Foxtel decoder... not iQ?

PQ definition is dependent on your subscription and equipment capabilities. Eg: you won't get any HD channels on a standard box and a standard box doesn't have PVR functions.

I don't think you can stream from an iQ to a standard box.

#3 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

thank mtv,

I've signed up for HD and was hoping a HD set top box for the secondary room would work much like my Beyonwiz Dp-H1 does to receive files from the P1 in my HT room.

As per usual the people signing you up obviously don't know their own products well enough to explain what it can and can't do. I signed up making it more than clear that if possible I'd like a HD channels ONLY subscription and that I was paying for the basic and sports packages through gritted teeth as I won't put up with non HD to my projector. I had foxtel years ago and SD foxtel used to look awful on my old 28" 4:3 CRT, can't imagine how bad it would look on a 42" plasma. I only used a handful of channels back in the day and can't see that changing now

Multi room is a $15 a month fee to use a second "box" but I'm getting free installation. I assumed it would at least be a HD set top box as that is part of my subscription and streaming would also seem to be a capability they would incorporate if possible. Hopefully I get a friendly installer and we can get it to best of the capabilities of their equipment.

Edited by blybo, 08 February 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#4 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

blybo,

I wouldn't 'assume' anything with Foxtel.

Unless your 'deal' specifically states your second box is iQHD, it's likely to be a standard box, not even iQ.

Don't leave it until the installer arrives, as he'll only install what is on his order.

And yes... SD looks horrible on a big screen.

I'd recommend contacting Foxtel prior to the installation to confirm exactly what your equipment and your subscription includes.

#5 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

just got back to office from lunch at home and dealing with installer. As suggested the multi room is purely a SD set top box so that will go in our family room (SD plasma anyway) and the HD IQ will go in the HT room. Just means we will have more need to get those black out curtains fitted to the HT room for day time footy matches...

I'm also going to have to source and install a conduit/skirting board to hold about 2.5 of cable.

#6 lizclinton

lizclinton

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

I think they only install iq1's now and disable the record function if your subscription is just a standard one.

Edited by lizclinton, 08 February 2012 - 01:26 PM.

#7 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

I think they only install iq1's now and disable the record function if your subscription is just a standard one.

It varies, some people are still getting SD boxes installed and others, as you said, get the 'nobbled' iQ box.

#8 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,372 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

They offered me free installation for the second box and it records,don't see why you would accept a IQ that doesn't record it was for that reason I ordered it

cheers laurie

#9 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

They offered me free installation for the second box and it records,don't see why you would accept a IQ that doesn't record it was for that reason I ordered it

cheers laurie

And only paying the $15 fee? HD IQ? I got a set top box but will be ordering something with hdmi out, why put up with inferior picture if I don't have to...

#10 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:19 AM

And only paying the $15 fee? HD IQ? I got a set top box but will be ordering something with hdmi out, why put up with inferior picture if I don't have to...

There's often published deals.... and then ones you 'negotiate' with Foxtel.

If you don't haggle.... you get the standard offer at the time of signing up.

If you ask to cancel, they usually try and entice you to stay with something 'extra'..... but that depends if you're locked into a contact or not.