21 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hey guys,

I came home from a 2 week holiday, i turn all my equipment back on. And the Submersive keeps clipping / popping very loudly. No idea why. I have tried unplugging input plugs, still keeps happening. I dont get it, why would it just suddenly do this, there were no problems all this time. I think a few other people had issues with their amps as well?

#2 mmu16

mmu16

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Oh noes!!!! :no:

#3 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

A bit disappointed by it as from what i can gather there has been a few other people with similar issues from the GB and i havent even really done an indepth look into it. I wonder if most / all the people with the issues also had purchased the used sub amps instead of brand new ones.....

#4 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:10 AM

Have you contacted the company?

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

Yup, have posted on the seaton forum as well as sending mark an email. I presumre it takes a while for a reply?

#6 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

I would guess so. I may be wrong, but I think at some stage he was a abit slow replying, but didn't mean he didn't care, just gets swamped. With a business like his I would think he would want happy customers as he relies on word of mouth and forums so he is probably the best place to start.

#7 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hey mate, mine also failed it was a used amp. It turned on but i had no bass coming out of it at all. Just ring Mark direct and he will ship a new amp, he was very good about it i didn't have to wait too long

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:35 AM

Hey mate, mine also failed it was a used amp. It turned on but i had no bass coming out of it at all. Just ring Mark direct and he will ship a new amp, he was very good about it i didn't have to wait too long

I am actually a bit worried by the high failure rate, as it seems like there are at least around 5-6 people if not more from the GB who have had their amps fail on them. To me thats quite a high no. for such a high end equipment is it not?

#9 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

It seems high, but I had a water heater go at my place under warranty. When they came around to replace they checked the serial number and rang back to base to say it was in the series that had a faulty part they had sourced in a batch. Could be as simple as that. One part that they sourced a bad batch turned up and they were not to know. It is how the company deals with the issue that is important.

#10 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

Don't forget the failed ones are used amps! They were running on US voltage before hand, they could be a year or so old. Plus you never know how hard they were driven. If the new amp fails then i would start to worry. Blade has had his system over a year now and nothing has failed?

#11 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, I think the used amps are generally the issue from the looks of things. maybe it wasnt such a good idea to go for them after all.

On my sub, i may have resolved the issue although it worries me as i think this might mean it will happen again / the amp is faulty....

I tried leaving it unplugged / turned off for a few hours etc and it didnt resolve it. But in the end i plugged it in and turned it on (but had no input going into it) and i set it to mute. Left it like that over night, the next day, i turned off the mute and the very loud clipping/ popping sounds werent there anymore. So having left it over night, seems to have gotten rid of whatever was going on there. But I havent really tried much with it yet to see if the performance or anything has been affected. I tried a test mode and it seemed to be putting out a signal but i havent tried anything that actually has any bass yet, so that is the only way to really tell if it is still pumping or not.

#12 BladeRnR

BladeRnR

AV Forum Member

• 3,816 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

One of my Submersive Ams failed about 6 months into ownership. No drama. A direct swap took about 1 week (Mark sent the replacement before receiving the broken one).

Electronics fail on occassion but I agree this failure rate seems high although one has to factor in the fact most were second-hand units.

Blade

#13 kc01

kc01

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:39 AM

lonewolf

Did you resolve your amp issue?

#14 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

I think i resolved it. It was like there was all this excess noise that had to come out or something strange. I am not really sure what it was. But Even with no input there was a lot of popping and clipping. So i set it to mute but kept it on overnight. The next day after i removed the mute, the noise wasnt there anymore. I have tested it to see if it is outputting bass and it is but due to having 12 subs, it really isnt driven hard so i havent really tried pushing it to see if it still holds up or not. I presume if it is outputting bass then everything is back to normal..?

In terms of repair i was offered the choice of having to send it back and they were going to repair it (so no choice of replacement amp) and that was going to cost me 115$ to send it back, but the other issue was i had no packing material to send it back in... I would have preferred it if they had given me the choice of them sending a replacement amp and then i can use the packing material from that to send the original back.

#15 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

Yeah thats pretty poor form..With my amp they sent the new one no questions asked! Why on earth does he want an old blown one back anyway, so he can try fix it and put it into someone elses?

#16 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

I can't speak for Mark (Seaton) but if it were me, I'd want to know the cause and have the amp manufacturer take steps to rectify it. And I'd want a refund from them.

#17 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:17 PM

Yeah thats pretty poor form..With my amp they sent the new one no questions asked! Why on earth does he want an old blown one back anyway, so he can try fix it and put it into someone elses?

Well I had hoped that they would first send the new one out so at the very least i have the packaging to send the old amp back to them. Otherwise its hard to find adequate packaging that fits and that is extra costs, besides the 115$ that they organised through fedex.

#18 pajames

pajames

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

My 'used' amp also lasted about a week before packing it in, touch wood the new replacement has been working fine since July last year..

#19 pajames

pajames

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

Attention all Seaton subwoofer owners, i noticed a sound coming from the sub tonight, there is a noise which appears to be coming from behind the green signal light, i can feel a slight bit of air coming through the back of the light when I put my finger over it, the sub's speakers are working and bass is fine. I've uploaded the sound onto Youtube for you at the below link, any ideas on what it is? The amp appears to be secured properly to the subwoofer, all screws are tight. I've sent Mark Seaton a message as well, hopefully i'll get an response from him soon.

Edited by pajames, 28 May 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#20 buddhamus

buddhamus

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

wow, never heard that sound before. Can you hear it from your seating position?

#21 ifyouseekamy

ifyouseekamy

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:04 AM

It's not a mouse being electrocuted is it?

#22 agelessgoodguy

agelessgoodguy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

wow, never heard that sound before. Can you hear it from your seating position?

Or the mission position, the standing position or argh...... the rear position.