Photo

720P Pj For Everyday Tv (Foxtel Iq2 Box)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I bought a cheap and cheerful Chinese PJ for the kids to use upstairs with a Wii, PS3 and set top box connected up via a splitter box. Image is straight on to an off white wall and is approx 96inch and we sit about 3.5 metres away.

I have to say, for a $250 PJ, the image is perfeclty watchable and the kids love playing their consoles on it.

So back to my query, I am looking for a 720p PJ that is LCD/LED with the same bulb life as the Chinese jobs for us to use downstairs on a full time basis with IQ2 connected up, anyone have any ideas on a PJ that would be useable under these conditions and last long enough - happy to replace bulb every two years or so if needed.

Many Thanks

BB

#2 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

Anyone ??

#3 blybo

blybo

DTV Forums Member

• 1,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

You know I'd sell you my Z5 if SWMBO would let me upgrade. Honestly something like that is all we need when watching BD. Yes the contrast and black levels could be better, but honestly the picture sharpness would only be criticised by an owner of a more recent 1080p projector.

I'm getting foxtel installed as I type so could let you know what SD and HD pictures are like tomorrow.

#4 BusterB

BusterB

DTV Forums Member

• 265 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

You know I'd sell you my Z5 if SWMBO would let me upgrade. Honestly something like that is all we need when watching BD. Yes the contrast and black levels could be better, but honestly the picture sharpness would only be criticised by an owner of a more recent 1080p projector.

I'm getting foxtel installed as I type so could let you know what SD and HD pictures are like tomorrow.

-
Hi Blybo,

Thanks for the reply, yeah let me know how you go on that.

I have IQ2 connected to my 58 Sammy downstairs and I have to say the Sammy does a very good job on SD content....so does the cheapo Chinese projector the kids use upstairs. They watched Ice Age 3 the other week throught the set top box and it was a decent picture.

Thanks again

BB

#5 kumquat

kumquat

DTV Forums Member

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:28 AM

My optoma HD66 has done a great job for everyday viewing. Still on my first lamp, it's racked up a couple of thousand hours now plenty bright enough and a crisp image. I got mine from overseas for about $650 delivered on ebay. I regularly run it for 6 hour periods, sometimes just leave it on in the background. Does have it's drawbacks with lack of lens shifting capabilities.

My previous projectors were LCD based, they used to stay on for extended periods of time and they both developed burn-in. Not sure if it's an inherent problem with LCD's but haven't had any issues like that with my optoma. It would be interesting to hear from LCD owners who leave their projector on for extended periods of time.

#6 blybo

blybo

DTV Forums Member

• 1,461 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well the installer was surprised when I told him it was only a 720p projector. Seen a lot worse 1080p he said. HD looks great but I found the motion of the bowling in the cricket hard to follow, perhaps too big an image for really fast motion! We sit 3.5m from a roughly 100" 16:9 image. SD is certainly watchable but blurry and when watching a wide angle of ruby league last night it was difficult to read jersey numbers.

#7 Katsu

Katsu

DTV Forums Member

• 517 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Hey Buddy,
I recently ungraded to a 3D Panasonic projector. So now I have a spare Panasonic AE700E sitting in the spare room. I believe it's a native 720p projector, but it support 1080i picture beautifully. I used it for my Blu Rays via a OPPO 83, and the picture quality is top notch IMHO. The hours spent on the projector is extremely low, as I only used it for good movies only. I can check the hours on the projector if you're interested. I'd be surprised if I spent 100+ hours on it.

Cheers
K

#8 wheelz

wheelz

DTV Forums Member

• 4,266 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hey Buddy,
I recently ungraded to a 3D Panasonic projector. So now I have a spare Panasonic AE700E sitting in the spare room. I believe it's a native 720p projector, but it support 1080i picture beautifully. I used it for my Blu Rays via a OPPO 83, and the picture quality is top notch IMHO. The hours spent on the projector is extremely low, as I only used it for good movies only. I can check the hours on the projector if you're interested. I'd be surprised if I spent 100+ hours on it.

Cheers
K

What price would you want for it?

#9 Katsu

Katsu

DTV Forums Member

• 517 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

There was one sold on Ebay just last week. The guys had around 700 hours on it which is still pretty cool. He got $450 for it. My AE700E is pretty much brand new. paid $3000 way back at JB. Well looked after and minimum use. I'd happy with $500 plus postage. if you're in sydney, happy to arrange a pick up.

If the hour usage is important to you. I can hook it up again and let you know the exact hours I've spent on it.

Cheers

#10 Damon

Damon

DTV Forums Member

• 307 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

There was one sold on Ebay just last week. The guys had around 700 hours on it which is still pretty cool. He got $450 for it. My AE700E is pretty much brand new. paid $3000 way back at JB. Well looked after and minimum use. I'd happy with $500 plus postage. if you're in sydney, happy to arrange a pick up.

If the hour usage is important to you. I can hook it up again and let you know the exact hours I've spent on it.

Cheers

Another AE700E here in Perth, about 700 hours, been thru the blown up power supply phase repaired and working fine. Any offer considered.

Also 100 inch fixed screen for sale, same deal any offer considered. Would have to be picked up.

rgds Damon

Edited by Damon, 17 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#11 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

DTV Forums Member

• 3,595 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

While we are on the subject I have a Hitachi PJTX100 720p PJ which has just over 100 original hours.
This was an excellent projector in it's heyday. comes with original box and all accesories plus DVI HDMI adaptor.
I'm in Adelaide