My Switch And Brisbane South East Willow Vale Gold Coast

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bad Tv in Aus

Bad Tv in Aus

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

Gents, My Switch tells me i am in a good signal area for BNE STH EAST, is the transmitter working yet?
My sub is Willow Vale Qld and we have had to suffer with Mt cootha on a hills dy14 VHF ant and a separate UHF Yagi. We get signal but not at all strong. Since Christmas we have lost ABC on vhf and SBS on the UHF although sbs was never good.
I have just tried a match master phased array UHF vertical pol in the direction of BNE STH EAST and we get Zip signal?

Yet if i point the antenna 180 deg away from the transmitter i get a signal but the channels tuned are gold coast nine plus bris 31 which comes from mt cootha :no: all channels pixeleate and break up too.

if i use the my switch site and move my antenna position so to speak to the other end of my roof i get the cootha site come up. If i move the antenna the other way it gives me tamborine as the best transmitter!!! :hyper:
Is it possible to double up UHF antennas as i now have a tri beam UHF marry this with the phased array and point both to the new site? then with double the gain i might get a signal? :hmm:

Can any one recommend an attena installer familiar with Willow Vale GC? I have the antennas but no reliable signal given i have 3 sites to choose from!!

#2 clipper

clipper

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:47 AM

I can't help you with the best transmitter to go for in your situation. Re: doubling up antennas; sounds fine in theory but doesn't work unless antennas are identical and are coupled together with the exact same lengths of coax. You can buy coupled phased arrays as ready to assemble. You really need an installer to locate the transmitter with the best quality readings, ie, MER 23+ and pre BER of E-3 or better and then you should be able to use a low noise amplifier to get the signal strength up to 60+ db. Make sure your installer can achieve these figures. He may have to spend an hour over the roof (and elsewhere) doing a signal survey. May require relocating your mount, including higher or lower. I usually start by getting readings from ground level, esp if trees look like an issue, ie, getting signal under the trees can be better than through a thicket of branches.

#3 dkint3

dkint3

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

Hi Bad TV,

Looking at Willow Vale on Google Maps, I would say you are in something of a fringe area for both Gold Coast and Brisbane metro reception..

Do you have a better immediate 'line of sight' towards Brisbane or towards Mt Tamborine.. whichever one gives you better 'line of sight' could be a determining factor.
That includes whether you have trees nearby that might impede the signal from that direction..

What do you your neighbours receive.. and do they get good reception from either transmitter.. that might help too...

Also, the UHF antenna should be horizontal ie. elements parallel to the ground.. for both Brisbane and Mt Tamborine...

#4 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Gents, My Switch tells me i am in a good signal area for BNE STH EAST, is the transmitter working yet?

No it is still on the drawing board.
James

#5 Bad Tv in Aus

Bad Tv in Aus

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:08 PM

Hi Bad TV,

Looking at Willow Vale on Google Maps, I would say you are in something of a fringe area for both Gold Coast and Brisbane metro reception..

Do you have a better immediate 'line of sight' towards Brisbane or towards Mt Tamborine.. whichever one gives you better 'line of sight' could be a determining factor.
That includes whether you have trees nearby that might impede the signal from that direction..

What do you your neighbours receive.. and do they get good reception from either transmitter.. that might help too...

Also, the UHF antenna should be horizontal ie. elements parallel to the ground.. for both Brisbane and Mt Tamborine...

You are so right we are deep deep fringe we have no sight to any transmiiter but Mt cootha is what most are using and we have used this for 4 years mt cootha the reception to our sight is totaly rubbish as the neighbours trees are very tall i have a 20ft mast and the hills dy on top and the yagi below for UHF all horizontal

Well i could not belive my luck, ABC full strength on ch12 with 90% sig quality and SBS and ch 36 again at 90% and 31 on ch38 at 93% sig quality. All pictures better than the VHF station ie no pixeleation or chirps

I had given up with local wa^%kers turning up with no idea.
I have used the uhf on top facing the mt cootha site with a matchmaster phased array below pointing slightly north west away from the vhf antenna and the channels are totaly watchable :hyper: love SBS??!!! sorry very sad. The vhf stuff shows 100% sig quality and we have ABC on Ch12 at about 79% but all VHF pixelate and chirp every so often.

Today a whole 24 hrs later no SBS and No Ch31 not even a sniff no signal shown on tv or dvd reciver! :rofl: :no: WTF is going on???

How do i find out when the brisbane sth east transmitter is going to go live :logik:

Thanks Guys

#6 Bad Tv in Aus

Bad Tv in Aus

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

No it is still on the drawing board.
James

Ta James,

Get Scotty to beam me up fricking sick an tired of tv in aus

I was so over the moon when i saw this on the my switch site i got straight on the roof and switched the UHF yagi 90 deg and pointed to the direction of lovely Mt cooton and absolutly Flipping nothing not even a glimmer!!!

Why does the site give the impression it is already running giving you the channels you can get, would not a little note saying planned to go live on be more useful?!

Cheers,

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

You are so right we are deep deep fringe we have no sight to any transmiiter but Mt cootha is what most are using and we have used this for 4 years mt cootha the reception to our sight is totaly rubbish as the neighbours trees are very tall i have a 20ft mast and the hills dy on top and the yagi below for UHF all horizontal

Well i could not belive my luck, ABC full strength on ch12 with 90% sig quality and SBS and ch 36 again at 90% and 31 on ch38 at 93% sig quality. All pictures better than the VHF station ie no pixeleation or chirps

I had given up with local wa^%kers turning up with no idea.
I have used the uhf on top facing the mt cootha site with a matchmaster phased array below pointing slightly north west away from the vhf antenna and the channels are totaly watchable :hyper: love SBS??!!! sorry very sad. The vhf stuff shows 100% sig quality and we have ABC on Ch12 at about 79% but all VHF pixelate and chirp every so often.

Today a whole 24 hrs later no SBS and No Ch31 not even a sniff no signal shown on tv or dvd reciver! :rofl: :no: WTF is going on???

How do i find out when the brisbane sth east transmitter is going to go live :logik:

Thanks Guys

Re: "Well i could not belive my luck, ABC full strength on ch12 with 90% sig quality and SBS and ch 36 again at 90% and 31 on ch38 at 93% sig quality. All pictures better than the VHF station ie no pixeleation or chirps".
One thing is certain, the transmitters at Mt Coot-tha are not changing their output, The changes you are witnessing are so marked there has to be something going on near or at your home. Going from lots of signal to no signal suggests you have a real problem with your antenna system, faulty amplifier, faulty power supply, bad connections, intermittent DC pass on a splitter, poor connection at the antenna, a crushed cable. Something at you home is responsible.

Expect Brisbane South DTV before analogue switch off in Brisbane, any who offers something more definite that that is guessing.

James