• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yes, the Elektra power amp is the natural choice to pair this pre-amp (thats what I used) or possibly the cheaper Emotiva power amps if your looking at saving some money. Anyway as it is now sitting in its box ready for its new owner I'm now a little more motivated to sell it I'm happy to let it go for $1450. Remember this one is a full Australian stock unit with about 2 years of the 3 year warranty remaining.

JDH

up until the other day seaton had his elektra up for $1600, would have been a steal for both at $3100.........

#27 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Actually very tempted as i have been thinking of moving slowly away from the separates i have now (audio preamp, video preamp and 3 power amps). So much space taken, heat, power sockets, cables etc ;), and yet the all in one box can do the same thing too haha. Of course the audio is better i suppose, its been a long time since i tested a receiver in my system but still there is something to be said for the convenience of it all. Especially with HDMI being such a fiddly technology.

#28 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

It's not an AV Receiver, its an AV pre amp which means you need your own quality power amp. Ie it combines both both features and sound/video quality.

JDH

Actually very tempted as i have been thinking of moving slowly away from the separates i have now (audio preamp, video preamp and 3 power amps). So much space taken, heat, power sockets, cables etc ;), and yet the all in one box can do the same thing too haha. Of course the audio is better i suppose, its been a long time since i tested a receiver in my system but still there is something to be said for the convenience of it all. Especially with HDMI being such a fiddly technology.

#29 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

It's not an AV Receiver, its an AV pre amp which means you need your own quality power amp. Ie it combines both both features and sound/video quality.

JDH

Yeah I know its a processor, i didnt word it properly, ;), I figured this would be one step towards an all in 1 unit, as i do also have a elektra theatron that i bought off you ages ago which i can use instead of my 3 ME power amps. Just getting a bit annoyed with the amount of cables involved but especially the HDMI issues that can pop up when you have a separate video processor and an audio processor. Every now and then i come across some problem and it is hard to figure out exactly where on the chain the problem lies and half the time it is a small issue or a cable issue but it takes a long time to figure it out.

I am not sure how much better the audio performance is on a Cary cinema and a video processor as opposed to a AV processor or even a receiver if i went that route. I think i will always use a power amp or more but at the moment i just have so many units going. For instance i have mentioned the audio and video processor and power amps but i also have the SVS AS-EQ1 sub eq as well as the Audyssey Multi EQ. Now if i got one of the new Processors or receivers, they have most of these things built into them. I presume the Onkyo has Audyssey doesnt it?

My first receiver was an Onkyo and i really loved that unit, what are the differences between this particular Onkyo and the Integra unit?

#30 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Yes it has audyssey, in terms of the difference between the Integra range and this Onkyo unit as far as I'm aware they are identical accept for the look of the front face plate. Ie. internals and sound quality are identical.

JDH

Edited by JDH, 05 March 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#31 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:27 AM

Bump $1425 ono.

JDH.

#32 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Bump now $1400 for a well featured and quality AV pre/pro !!!

JDH

$1500 is crazy cheap. I can't understand why this hasn't sold.

Edited by JDH, 20 March 2012 - 08:39 PM.

#33 gtbull

gtbull

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

Because I`m a new user I think I`m prevented from PM access.
JDH could you email me?
regards
Gary
garybull at bigpond dot net dot au

#34 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Contacted Gary, however the Onkyo 5507 AV pro ended up being to large for his AV cabinet.

Still available

$1400 ono

JDH

Because I`m a new user I think I`m prevented from PM access.
JDH could you email me?
regards
Gary
garybull at bigpond dot net dot au

#35 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:08 AM

Now $1350, pickup prefered but will post/courier at buyers cost.
JDH.

Edited by JDH, 03 April 2012 - 07:08 AM.

#36 lonewolf

lonewolf

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

Bah, John what are you doing to me, so damn tempting. Tell me since i pretty much only use Digital signals these days (Foxtel HD ,HTPC and Gaming) and never listen to 2 channel music anymore, some people tell me there isnt that much difference in sound between these kinds of units and the higher end processors.... I have already started disconnecting a couple of my ME power amps to go back to a 7 channel Elektra. Just trying to minimise as i think my system is overkill since i never listen to 2 channel anymore.

#37 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

I have a seperate 2ch and HT system in different rooms, that being said it is always good to have a reasonable HT processor that is still acceptable for 2ch music from time to time.

JDH

#38 JDH

JDH

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Ended up selling the Onkyo 5507 through Ebay the other day for my asking price of $1380. Basically being packed and soon to be on its way to its new owner.

JDH

#39 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,485 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Good to hear that you sold it - the buyer got a great bargain. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: As-New