• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Damian Fogels

Damian Fogels

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hello,

Firstly let me say, I am a newbie here so please don't flame me if these questions are silly.

I live in Canberra and I am looking for a way to watch free-to-air GWN (which is WA's regional version of 7) from here in Canberra. The reason being that most West Coast Eagles games are shown live in GWN as far as I can tell. The local AFL coverage for 2012 is going to focus on the Sydney based teams - not all that interested.

Is there any hardware I can buy (satellites, decoders etc) that would allow me to watch GWN (and maybe other channels) from Canberra?

Also, apologies if there is a more suitable forum for this - please let me know.

Cheers,
Damian

#2 CWulf

CWulf

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

HI Damian

There's no way you can do it legally. Signing up to Foxtel would be the simplest.

#3 BamBBBam

BamBBBam

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:47 PM

He could become a VAST customer - you can get temporary permission if you are 'travelling'.

(What has Foxtel got to do with it? Foxtel does not retransmit GWN)

Edited by BamBBBam, 03 February 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#4 CWulf

CWulf

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Foxtel has all the AFL games. Damian's interest in GWN is to see the Weagles rather than Swans and GWS - which will be the predominant games on Prime in Canberra. Weagles will be pretty rare on Prime and delayed if at all.

He could go through the VAST traveller approach but would be claiming to be something he isn't - a traveller - and would be arguably "illegal".

#5 murgles

murgles

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

He could become a VAST customer - you can get temporary permission if you are 'travelling'.

Yeah, you'll need a small Satellite dish (similar in size to a Foxtel/Austar dish) and a receiver (about $300). There will be no subsription fees but you will need to pay a small amount for an access card.
Unfortunately, only people who live in areas where FTA antenna coverage is unavailable are eligible to use this service. If you use your Canberra address when you register your access card then you will be rejected (unless you live in blackout zone where your regular antenna doesn't work).
If you have a friend living in regional WA, then they can sign up and then mail you the card.
More info about Vast can be found here: http://www.mysattv.com.au/

Once you've got your card, you can then tell them that you're planning a trip all around Australia. Fill out this form and then you will also get FTA channels from whatever area you're travelling to (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth). This will work for 6 months, but it can be extended if you re-apply before it expires.
https://www.mysattv....travellers.aspx

Edited by murgles, 03 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#6 Damian Fogels

Damian Fogels

AV Forums Member

• 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

I already have a foxtel dish on the roof (not in use currently) - can I use that?

#7 holdencaulfield2007

holdencaulfield2007

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

There is a Sports Aggregator site known as WIZIWIG which has many links to sports from all around the world (including Aussie Rules). They often show games but it is a lucky dip as as to which games will be available.
Look here for more info http://www.wiziwig.tv/

Edited by holdencaulfield2007, 06 February 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#8 mtv

mtv

AV Forums Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Anyone anywhere in Australia can have a VAST card activated for ABC/SBS.

Commercial channels access is granted for those who cannot recieve terrestrial TV signals and are in areas where no terrestrial TV translators will be installed prior to analogue switchoff in those areas.

Anyone anywhere in Australia can have VAST access granted for commercial channels if they apply as a 'traveller'.

If you register as a traveller, you can use your home address, but specify in the comments field you will be 'travelling' in outback WA... which you will be given access to the WA commercial channels, plus ABC/SBS channels for all states & territories of Australia, plus access to all the regional commercial news channels.

A 65 cm Foxtel dish will receive VAST in Canberra, however, it's possible the LNB may need slight adjustment to optimise signal quality.

I have found an 85cm dish is preferable for VAST.

You cannot just buy a VAST smart card, as the card is supplied only with a decoder and is paired with that decoder, so it can't be used in any other decoder.... even another VAST decoder.

Cost for the non-PVR VAST decoder & card is around $280 with the PVR model (enables recording/playback on an external HDD) is around $350.