• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Checkout the latest from Dish network, sure it's paytv but compared to the paltry offerings we get here it's pretty neat.

Dish now have their Hopper and Joeys, full pvr and media distribution around the home.

it's got some nice features like the fact you can pause what you're watching in the lounge room and start playing it from where you left off in the bedroom, a built in remote finder, a primetime capture where it captures all the main channels in primetime...with a couple of terabyte in the box I suppose they can afford to do that

#2 bassett

bassett

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:26 AM

Both Dish and Direct pay networks offer a very basic system for your subscription fee. Everything else is a
"Pay For" add on. So while it all sounds wonderful, You will be paying a high price once you add up all the bits

#3 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,762 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:04 PM

Things are really hopping and its all because of the hopper...?

Must admit I was impressed at how the guy ran through the features. Everytime I've seen that done with any tech gear you always hit a point where the interviewer asks a difficult question or the tech misbehaves.

Interesting that prime time in the US starts at 8pm - or is that Prime Time ™

Be interesting to see how the multiroom join in feature works, I had visions of the people in the main room joining the bedroom channel and then having a fight out with their remotes as each wanted to do different things.

Being able to create your own channels seems an obvious and excellant approach. Much better than the cumbersome 'Favourites' we've only seen. They're really only good for hiding all unwanted channels.

Also notable is that the unit uses just one tuner to record the four major networks. I always thought it made much more sense to fit ABC, SBS, 7, 9, 10 (main channel) into a single mux. Perhaps their HD channels into a second mux, etc. That way a single tuner PVR could record all five major stations at once. Pity.

Looking online it seems packages start at $80 a month so I'd imagine the premium services could top $200.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#4 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Both Dish and Direct pay networks offer a very basic system for your subscription fee. Everything else is a
"Pay For" add on. So while it all sounds wonderful, You will be paying a high price once you add up all the bits

I had to watch direct tv for a month while over in the us some time ago. Yep 99 channels of trash and nothing to watch. Worse still they repeating the trash over and over again ! And then to add insult to injury the pq and sq is equally cr@p ! :lol:

#5 mello yello

mello yello

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

I had to watch direct tv for a month while over in the us some time ago. Yep 99 channels of trash and nothing to watch. Worse still they repeating the trash over and over again ! And then to add insult to injury the pq and sq is equally cr@p ! :lol:

you went to the States for that ?

we get that right here , its called AUSTAR