• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Serendigity

Serendigity

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:41 AM

I rarely bother watching commercial TV, but wanted to see the tennis at the Australian Open, and yep you guessed it, Channel 7 Brisbane is unwatchable for me. Channel 7 Sunshine Coast is little better because the Bald Knob transmitter is directly shielded by a forest of huge trees. I get every channel from Brisbane on all other stations including Bris31 rock steady and clear, but both Channel 7 SC and Bris are badly broken up, pixellated and low signal strength. I live in Maleny on top of a ridge and get all the other Brisbane channels perfectly. SBS used to be the poor cousin with reception issues, now it seems to be the 7 network... Does anyone else experience poor Channel 7 reception vs the other networks?

Edited by Serendigity, 27 January 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#2 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

I rarely bother watching commercial TV, but wanted to see the tennis at the Australian Open, and yep you guessed it, Channel 7 Brisbane is unwatchable for me. Channel 7 Sunshine Coast is little better because the Bald Knob transmitter is directly shielded by a forest of huge trees. I get every channel from Brisbane on all other stations including Bris31 rock steady and clear, but both Channel 7 SC and Bris are badly broken up, pixellated and low signal strength. I live in Maleny on top of a ridge and get all the other Brisbane channels perfectly. SBS used to be the poor cousin with reception issues, now it seems to be the 7 network... Does anyone else experience poor Channel 7 reception vs the other networks?

You might want to increase the font size 'cause that's damn near impossible to read... :hmm:

#3 Serendigity

Serendigity

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

Obviously I am the only person in the outer Brisbane / Sunshine Coast region who has reception issues with Channel 7.

#4 The Baja

The Baja

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Obviously I am the only person in the outer Brisbane / Sunshine Coast region who has reception issues with Channel 7.

In that case Just shift camp to Darwin. Should sort your problem out :lol: ;) ;)

Cheer's

Baja

#5 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,415 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

80km is a fair distance from Mt Coot-tha. If you are on top of a ridge that's a good location, and if you're getting Briz31 you're not doing too badly. One thing you may not be aware of is the "sudden death" nature of reception of digital TV. Only a slight reduction in signal strength can make the difference between perfect reception and patchy pixellated reception. You may need only a small improvement in your setup to get perfect channel 7 reception. I assume your antenna is not simply a UHF antenna but has elements long enough for channel 7 which is the lowest frequency of the digital TV channels that are transmitted from Mt Coot-tha:

BTQ VHF 6 Hor 177.5 MHz (Channel 7)

QTQ VHF 8 Hor 191.625 MHz

TVQ VHF 11 Hor 219.5 MHz

ABQ VHF 12 Hor 226.5 MHz

SBS UHF 36 Hor 585.625 MHz

CTQ UHF 38 Hor 599.5MHz (Briz 31)

What size antenna are you using, and where is it positioned?

#6 winn3161

winn3161

AV Forum Member

• 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:30 AM

Hi
Yes we are located in lower Buderim down near the private Hospital & I also have noticed that 7 from Brisbane seems to be now suffering from occasional pixelation & sometimes complete loss for a few seconds. I thought maybe it was the new TV we have just purchased - a Samsung Full HD when the older Samsung lost its tuner & sound whereas with that TV, 7 was always one of the stronger signals. Strangely the bedroom TV another Samsung but through a Panasonic DVD doesn't seem to suffer much on the Brisbane 7s ??
We have always had trouble with the local stations from Bald Knob but hopefully the new phased array antenna I have, but yet to install will fix the problem with local stations from Bald Knob.
We also get Bris 31 but sometimes not, mainly because it is being recieved using the UHF pointed at Bald Knob so maybe the new UHF antenna might improve it is well, if not will have to look at a new VHF/UHF to Brisbane antenna as well.