• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#26 Paul55

Paul55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

Yes, but like the Toppy, you need will need an IceTV subscription to get proper series record.
The Toppy has an inbuilt ''sort of'' series record, but from what I gather, it isn't that reliable. Toppies also have a TAP available called TMS Autoschedule, which, while better than the inbuilt system, still relies on the networks broadcasting the ''right words''. It too, isn't true series recording as it relies on word recognition to function. I also don't think the 7160 can see another 7160.
The Tivo requires a permanent broadband connection, but the ''season pass'' function is free. However, the Tivo is Freeview compliant with all the limitations that brings and I'm pretty sure Tivos can't see each other either.
IceTV interactive provides much more than series recording. You can also set recordings for any of your Ice enabled PVRs remotely from any networked PC or smart phone.

#27 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:43 AM

No the BW doesn't have built in series link (You can add it with an icetv subscription but that costs about $75 a year)

The Tivo series record is very good (but you need to by a Tivo then). The Topfield series record is fair but I wouldn't rely on it completely. FWIW I tend to find it easier just to set weekly recurring timers and adjust those as needed - that way you know exactly what is set to be recorded.

On the 200Gb, that's not a huge drive (An hour of SD is about 3Gb). You can always offload shows to an external USB drive. You can also put in a bigger drive later if you want easily enough. Also you would be recording to that drive and the one downstairs (perhaps make the 200Gb the living room one - depends where you watch most of your TV)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#28 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:17 AM

I'm pretty sure Tivos can't see each other either.

Tivos can stream content to each other when networked.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#29 sub3R

sub3R

AV Forum Member

• 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hi Loppy,
I’m not sure what your final plans are, but if you decide to go with two Beyonwiz PVRs & if you ever plan for recordings to be viewed from both Beyonwiz PVRs at the same time with one of those recordings being streamed from one (the ‘server’) to the other (the ‘client’) via the LAN - keep in mind Peter’s (prl) reply (below) to ‘StanB’ in your other topic ‘PVR Dillema - So Many Choices’:

prl wrote "... Also, streaming HD broadcasts from one BW to another may not work reliably unless the BW that's serving the stream is placed in a mode where it's not doing any other operations, including decoding live TV, by placing it in either the SETUP or FilePlayer menu. This problem may have reduced somewhat thanks to the reduction in bitrate of HD broadcasts since the introduction of the third digital service from each of the broadcasters (fourth in the case of the ABC). …"

#30 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:19 PM

With any of these pvrs will I still need to rename each file so that I know what it is. My current pvr upstairs and my dvd recorder downstairs have recordings which i have to personally rename to know what's what. And PG if i was to manually set recordings would did i still have to rename the file name. And just confirming you I thought you could series link on the toppy 7160 without an ice subscription. Also how long can you timeshift on the TIVO? Also with the TIVO what limitations does it have as Paul has ,mentioned as it's freeview?

Regards

Loppy

#31 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

With any of these pvrs will I still need to rename each file so that I know what it is. ...

Not on Beyonwiz, and I'm pretty sure Topfield is also fine in that regard.

#32 Paul55

Paul55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Not on Beyonwiz, and I'm pretty sure Topfield is also fine in that regard.

Confirmed.

#33 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

If you set a timer yourself on any of the brands you mention you can always input in the name yourself if you want. Otherwise it will take the name being broadcast when the timer fires (Personally I set weekly timers, give them a name I like and that's that).

As Paul says above, Toppies have a built in series record that matches the name of a program in the EPG. Works fairly well although is dependant on the EPG being accurate which it isn't 100% of the time.

Tivo Timeshift is 30 minutes - although uniquely IME it records the last two channels you were on for that 30 minutes.

The main Tivo limitation is you don't get ad skip (eg +30sec instantly). In its favour it has an excellent FF. It must be connected to the internet to have an EPG (it doesn't get the FTA EPG). Transfering files off the Tivo is only possible if you spend $100 more for the software that enables this.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#34 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

Are their any EPGS that have the synopsis of all programs. Like when I use my DSE program guide it doesn't give the full synopsis. (like who's on a particular show) :Like who does this best? e.g. TIVO, beywonwiz, ice tv? Also with a TIVO can you get the epg via wired over powerline adapters, like the BW?

#35 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Are their any EPGS that have the synopsis of all programs. Like when I use my DSE program guide it doesn't give the full synopsis. (like who's on a particular show) :Like who does this best? e.g. TIVO, beywonwiz, ice tv? Also with a TIVO can you get the epg via wired over powerline adapters, like the BW?

For the broadcast EIT EPG and the (Freeview EPG badged devices only) the MHEG5 Freeview EPG, all devices get the same data, so they'll all get the same synopsis. I don't think that there are any other metadata available in those EPGs than just the title, episode and synopsis (not certain about the Freeview EPG, though).

The IceTV EPG database has some extra metadata beyond the synopisis, like director and main actors (and you can search for these on the IceTV server). On the Beyonwiz (which can't display that information separately), I think the IceTV server puts some of it into the synopsis.

No idea about the TiVO.

#36 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

The TIVO could be a goer. What has the quickest way of fast forwarding through the ads. Also does the TIVO have chaseplay? Also if I was to get a PVR whiat about if I was to get the Foxtel IQ? I what mean getting a twin tuner and all what about if I was to subsribe and then I am left with a pvr.

#37 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:37 PM

The TIVO could be a goer. What has the quickest way of fast forwarding through the ads. Also does the TIVO have chaseplay? Also if I was to get a PVR whiat about if I was to get the Foxtel IQ? I what mean getting a twin tuner and all what about if I was to subsribe and then I am left with a pvr.

The TiVo has pretty quick FFWD (32x IIRC) and it has an automatic 'skip back' to account for the delay when you see the ads have finished and you press play.

If you get an IQ, then you could either keep the other PVR as a backup to record more shows, use it in another room, or sell it here or eBay.

#38 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Well guys yesterday I ended up lay-bying the Panasonic DMR XW 385It. I've looked up in the manual and it does everything I need, playing dvd's recording shows, epg. But their is one problem it says that you can't record one show whilst pressing the timeshifing button on the other channel. Can anyone comfirm this? Like should I consider replacing with say a toppy. What do u think? It does everything else. Like on a toppy can you timeshift one channel and tape the other at the same time? Are their any twin tuner DVDR's that do this?

#39 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

... Like on a toppy can you timeshift one channel and tape the other at the same time? Are their any twin tuner DVDR's that do this?

Beyonwizes will allow you to do this (even the single-tuner DP-H1, provided both the recording and the timeshifted service are from the same broadcaster). But if you're timeshifting and a second recording starts, then the timeshift buffer stops filling. You can still watch what's already in the timeshift buffer, though. The timeshift buffer ends up as being stored as a recording if this happens.

I'm pretty sure Topfields also allow timeshifting while recording (and may be less restrictive, like allowing timeshifting and 2 or more simultaneous recordings, provided all the services are on from more than two different broadcasters). I don't have any detailed knowledge of timeshifting on Topfields, though, so take with suitable quantities of salt :)

Edited by prl, 07 February 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#40 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,764 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

Timeshift is not something I recommend using. Its a temporary buffer that can easily be wiped clean if you change the channel or something else happens like a timer fires. If you want to timeshift a program just press the record button. you should be able to record two shows at once and navigate backwards and forwards in them while they are recording (ie timeshift). If the Panasonic limits the third show you want to watch to only being live then that's not much of a drawback IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#41 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yes that is true. Would this be like chaseplay.

#42 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,636 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Yes that is true. Would this be like chaseplay.

it is chaseplay.

#43 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Guys I might just keep the sd dvd recorder with a pvr. I was thinking of getting something like this.

http://crazystu.com....V-p-324648.html

Just one question that wasn't clear in the manual. Can you rename the filename before you record. Or does it keep the filename like a toppy or tivo.

#44 EIEIO

EIEIO

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Guys I might just keep the sd dvd recorder with a pvr. I was thinking of getting something like this.

http://crazystu.com....V-p-324648.html

Just one question that wasn't clear in the manual. Can you rename the filename before you record. Or does it keep the filename like a toppy or tivo.

Consider the Astone MP-310DT for $119 at umart etc

http://www.astone.co...hp?productID=50

Comes without a hard disk
Up to 2tb SATA hard drive..takes about 5 minutes to fit.....formats NTFS
Dual HD tuners
Plays any video/music file you throw at it.... mkv etc
Load your movies on to it via USB3 via your PC
Powered USB ...runs external laptop drives without external power

Bought one for my son to replace his Topfied.