• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am now looking at purchasing possibly a twin tuner pvr as the main recorder. I am looking for something just to record 2 shows at once whilst playback a third. I already have a wdtv live for content over the network. Is it ok to get a reconditoned or refurbished recorder off say ebay and many other websites. Like are they reliable, will they last long. Or is it best to purchase a new product. If so has anyone experienced or could you recommend one say in the $180- 250 range?. Would a toppy 7160 that record 4 channels be overkill?

Regards

Loppy

#2 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,633 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:40 PM

Dealspace sells refurbished Beyonwizes. The refurbishment is done by Beyonwiz Australia support, and they have a 3 month warranty. New uints have a 12 month warranty.

#3 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

I still live at home and now that I am in the position to get a hd pvr. One thing though my Mum was worried how we are going to watch dvd's. The thing is my setup is I have an lg dvd recorder which I discussed in another thread. So I just want to access and the record some of the hd channels. Would I best to keep the SD DVD Recorder for .viewing dvd's and recording some of the sd channels. And then add something ilike this
i
http://www.ebay.com....#ht_3794wt_1139 to record the hd channels. I would I be best to replace the DVD recorder with a higher end pvr andd get a dvd player.

Thanks again

Loppy

#4 pjc

pjc

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:20 AM

I am looking for something just to record 2 shows at once whilst playback a third.

The neonIQ in your link will not be able to to do what you originally wanted.

#5 simdi

simdi

AV Forum Member

• 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

Thanks pjc. I'm following this topic because I'm interested in same. Any suggestions as to what would be the best solution..keeping the price up to the $250 range?

#6 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Doesn't crazystu sell the Magic for around that? Might be worthwhile reading the thread that covers the Magic PVR.

#7 100945

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

Topfield are selling refurbed 7100's for $199

http://shopping.nets.../it.A/id.104/.f

#8 CarlR

CarlR

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:20 AM

... how we are going to watch dvd's. The thing is my setup is I have an lg dvd recorder which I discussed in another thread. So I just want to access and the record some of the hd channels.

I think it would be best to keep the SD DVD Recorder for viewing dvd's and occasionally recording an SD channel when both the tuners on the PVR are being used, but it requires training your mum to (a) use the new PVR, and (B) switch sources on the TV (from the PVR to the DVD and back). If you think she can handle that then use the PVR as your main device, and just flip to the DVD recorder/player when you want to watch a DVD (or record a third channel)

#9 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

Personally I'd look to cut out all the fuss and just get a good HD DVDR like the Panasonic DMR-XW385. Cost would be about $425 though. The advantage is that its a single unit that does everything you need reliably and would probably happily last the next 5-10 years for you/your mum in doing what you want.

However if you want to keep the DVD Recorder for playing DVDs then thats simple enough. Basically you have it plugged into one input in your TV (AV1 for example) to use just turn on the DVDR, pick up the TV remote, select AV1 and then switch to the DVDR remote for using. If you want to use another device plugged into say AV2 then use the TV remote to select that and then pick up the devices remote to use.

IMO cheap $80 'PVRS' fit into the category you get what you pay for. You need an external harddrive for starters which adds to costs. I would recommend going the extra few $ at this stage and getting a dedicated PVR with built in harddrive. As mentioned the MagicTV is well regarded for around $250. Keep in mind that you're only just starting down the HD PVR 'path'. What you think now is plenty is likely to seem less so a year from now. IMO pay the extra bit and have a unit that can grow with your needs for the next few years.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#10 Baird

Baird

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Personally I'd look to cut out all the fuss and just get a good HD DVDR like the Panasonic DMR-XW385. Cost would be about $425 though. The advantage is that its a single unit that does everything you need reliably and would probably happily last the next 5-10 years for you/your mum in doing what you want.

However if you want to keep the DVD Recorder for playing DVDs then thats simple enough. Basically you have it plugged into one input in your TV (AV1 for example) to use just turn on the DVDR, pick up the TV remote, select AV1 and then switch to the DVDR remote for using. If you want to use another device plugged into say AV2 then use the TV remote to select that and then pick up the devices remote to use.

IMO cheap $80 'PVRS' fit into the category you get what you pay for. You need an external harddrive for starters which adds to costs. I would recommend going the extra few $ at this stage and getting a dedicated PVR with built in harddrive. As mentioned the MagicTV is well regarded for around $250. Keep in mind that you're only just starting down the HD PVR 'path'. What you think now is plenty is likely to seem less so a year from now. IMO pay the extra bit and have a unit that can grow with your needs for the next few years.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I don't know if it is still the case but the Pana 385 was on special after New Year at JB Hi-Fi for $346.00. Also, as per PG, I would recommend the 385 for the purpose above. It's a great unit and it's only faults IMO are no mute button & can't burn to or from USB but of course can watch USB

Edited by Baird, 28 January 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#11 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

The panasonic could be the way to go. But my biggest problem is in terms of finding the best recording solution is that I want to be able to playback recordings in another room whilst my Mum can say watch something else. So Friday I went out and purchased a TEAC usb recording stb. The guy at good guys said that I could connect the teac to the inputs on the LG dvd recorder and record the channels that way through one of the av inputs on the LG. But I find this restrictive as how would I record something else on the DVD Recorder. Like should I take it back and out money towards the Panasonic? Also what is the best solution to watch recordings from the main DVR like the LG downstairs whilst my Mum watches something else and I can enjoy the recordings elsewhere. Like would an av sender be effective or perhaps a beyonwiz. And also how do people sort their recordings between say 2 dvrs. Do they have say record 7,9, 10, sbs, abc downstairs with the upstairs being the other digital channels (e.g GO, One).

Thanks again

Loppy

#12 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

AV Senders only send the signal from the base device (so no watching something while your mum watches something else)

FWIW you're not really defining yoour needs very well. Try bullet point as to what you want to achieve. Keep in mind that any multi room solution is likely to cost $$.

Sorting two linked PVRs is still a bit of a juggling act. Best system simply allows either unit to play whats on either unit. Set recordings as you see fit.

You've bought a cheap USB STB. Yes its cumbersome and yes its a one room solution.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#13 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Guys I want to get your opinion on what setup I should have going forward as their are new channels and new recorders out their. I would:
  • I like to tape the NBC today show daily
  • I want to watch the AFL lve when it starts. But the option to timeshift or pause live action at times.
  • record movies on the lg DVD Recorder downstairs that we can watch. This is an SD DVD Recorder.
  • Also I would like to tape the NBL basketball on weekends. This is a HD channel.
  • Also I have a teac usb pvr that I purchased last week and haven't opened it.
  • Their are some other shows which I personally like to enjoy that Mum doesn't
  • I mostly watch and delete recordings and perhaps archive the odd show.
  • I also have a WDTV live which I download the latest shows out of the US.e
Bare in mind MUM likes to watch all her shows downstairs on the main LCD.

So guys what we be the best option for me going forward. Should I:
  • Keep my current setup and add the the HD Stb with usb for the HD channels. And add it upstairs and juggle my Recordings as mentioned by PG. Is it ok to connect 2 stb's on one TV.
  • Should I ger 2 beyonwiz and network them
  • Or should I get a DVD Panasonic which PG has mentioned.
  • Or get rid of the WDTV live and use the Beyonwiz for all the downloaded recordings.
So many options but it's get it down on screen.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Loppy

#14 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

Also I should mention I need a recorder that has the actual name of the program, not having to rename the file afterwards.

#15 diesel

diesel

AV Forum Member

• 13,787 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Also I should mention I need a recorder that has the actual name of the program, not having to rename the file afterwards.

I thought they all had the actual name of the show....that's amazing!

#16 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

So are you in the money is no object phase now? :)

Networking two PVRs is fairly expensive ($800+) and you still have a bunch of other stuff in the mix that would make things complicated.

Sounds like Mum is happy with current SD setup and shows so agree just keep the SD Recorder downstairs for her. If she wants to go HD and keep DVD capability then you could possibly buy a cheap HD STB and plug it into the SD DVDR (although this is a cumbersome way to record shows, but handy if she just wants to watch HD shows live only)

Upstairs you just need to ad a HD PVR. As I said I'm not a great fan of cheap USB PVRs (but I'm probably a snob). Either use that or get a refurbished dedicated unit like the BW from Deal Space or the 7160 as mentioned (~$350).

Not sure why you ask about two STBs in your room? Are you talking about the WD and the new PVR? If so then there's no issue with that - as I said just select the AV Input on the TV remote to use which ever source you want.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#17 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

I thought 2 beyonwiz's cost only like $349. That is recondioned from dealspace. Like you have the lite and the h1.

#18 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

I thought 2 beyonwiz's cost only like $349. That is recondioned from dealspace. Like you have the lite and the h1.

My mistake, I thought all the products were reconditioned. Interestingly enough a reconditioned H1 costs $50 more than a new one on the site. Yes $350 for the two units so I take it back. That is worth considering if you're keen to run a cable between the two units. FWIW for just $50 more you can have two BW Lites which offers twin tuner capability and each comes with a hard drive (the H1 needs you to slide one in yourself and is single tuner)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#19 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

But can you network between the lite and the h1 Peter

#20 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Different Peter, but yes. You can stream recordings and media between all Beyonwizes, including streaming from a H1 if it has an attached recording HDD. You can only stream recordings and media from the recording disk of the server Beyonwiz.

#21 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,718 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

As mentioned yes. But for just $50 more you get a significant boost in functionality. Also if you move out of home then you can take one and leave the other with your mum. No saying 2 BWs is definitely the way to go, but if you do then I'd definitely recommend two Lites at these prices over a lit and an H1

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#22 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes your right could be the way to go. What about the idea of a twin tuner usb card for upstairs. Like I have a HDMI port on my laptop and connect the tv that way. What do u think about that idea. PG, do u think it is limited. No one else uses the laptop.

Regards

Loppy

#23 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

What about this Beyonwiz

http://www.ebay.com....#ht_4749wt_1037

Would 200 g be enough. Like my problem is if I have a large hard drive I might fill it up with shows I might not watch. Also prl can you connect the beyonwiz over power line adapters and ethernet. Being having issues with wifi on the WDTV live. Will this be successful? Also so the h1 doesn't have a seperate tuner?

#24 prl

prl

AV Forum Member

• 2,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:48 PM

... prl can you connect the beyonwiz over power line adapters and ethernet. Being having issues with wifi on the WDTV live. Will this be successful? Also so the h1 doesn't have a seperate tuner?

Yes, you can connect any Beyonwiz to an Ethernet Over Power device and use that for the Ethernet connection for streaming between Beyonwizes, streaming to a Beyonwiz from Windows shares and accessing IceTV and WizTV services. There's been a bit of discussion of it on the Beyonwiz forum (search for ethernet over power, select "all terms" and "show posts" for best results in the search). You often won't get anything like the maximum advertised bit rate, but some people have found them quite good. It varies a lot between houses. If you have three-phase power, all the EoP devices have to be on the same phase to "see" each other. Some people can stream successfully, in some cases the bitrate isn't enough, or isn't consistent enough to stream reliably.

The DP-H1 is a single-tuner HD STB that can be turned into a single-tuner HD PVR by adding an external USB HDD. I don't know if that answeres your question about whether it has a "separate tuner". The external recording HDD on a DP-H1 is formatted by the Beyonwiz in a FAT32 variant that isn't recognised by Windows, but can be accessed read/write on Linux or OS X, if you disconnect it from the H1 and connect it to a computer.

#25 loppy

loppy

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

I'm almost sold, can you series link with a beyonwiz like a toppy 7160 or a tivo.