• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ckent

ckent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Check out the new "WIN NETWORK" logos on GEM and GO.

#2 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Check out the new "WIN NETWORK" logos on GEM and GO.

I know...any wonder I only watch WIN for the cricket. I understand it's their product, and they want people to differentiate between themselves and nein, but fair dinkum...

Prime and Southern Cross have managed to keep their branding without obliterating their metro networks' respective logos. I really don't understand why WIN can't/won't do the same...

D.

Edited by hidefdave, 25 January 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,647 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:48 AM

Dave,
WIN's potential audience is the same size as Nine/NBN. The Nine network is in serious financial difficulty with huge loan repayments due very soon. WIN does not have these problems.....

There was a dispute between Nine/NBN and WIN as to the price of programs to be paid by WIN for Nine's programs. WIN almost went its own way.

Why is it important to know whether GEM is a Nine network program stream and 7 Mate is a 7 network stream? Surely you watch them for the content?

In addition the ACMA licences all of the broadcasters across the nation so WIN has a different licence to Nine, infact the licences are to regional level. So for example WIN stations have to insert their own regional news for that region. They also have to see their own advertising to pay for the rights to programs and the cost of transmission.

Alanh

#4 McDigital

McDigital

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

G'day Alanh,

Don't forget that dispute caused the South East of S.A. WIN stations to become affiliates of the Seven Network

Yeah, I was in the area when the first Hey Hey Reunion show was screened....What did WIN do? Play Seven content, and kept putting announcements up saying a new digital channel was coming.....called "Channel Nine"

So now, they have WIN (7) , Win Ten (10) , and Nine (9)

Confusing?

#5 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Prime and Southern Cross have managed to keep their branding without obliterating their metro networks' respective logos. I really don't understand why WIN can't/won't do the same...

WIN has a long history of trying to hide the fact that the majority of its content is originated from 9 (in areas where it carries '9'). The presence of an on screen blot does nothing for the amount of advertising income as suggested elsewhere and the viewers are smart enough (yes, hard to believe but its true) to work out they are watching 'I Dream of Genie' even without a GO! logo. Ultimately all these blots do is detract from the viewing experience. Just one more nail in the coffin of broadcast television.

Edited by DrP, 27 January 2012 - 01:47 PM.

#6 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

WIN has a long history of trying to hide the fact that the majority of its content is originated from 9 (in areas where it carries '9'). The presence of an on screen blot does nothing for the amount of advertising income as suggested elsewhere and the viewers are smart enough (yes, hard to believe but its true) to work out they are watching 'I Dream of Genie' even without a GO! logo. Ultimately all these blots do is detract from the viewing experience. Just one more nail in the coffin of broadcast television.

Which is the point I was trying to make! The issue is not who provides the service, but the fact that we as regional (WIN) viewers have to be subjected to their "blots" which as DrP quite rightly says, detracts from the viewing experience. I for one, refuse to watch WIN (with the exception of the cricket) for this very reason.

In addition the ACMA licences all of the broadcasters across the nation so WIN has a different licence to Nine, infact the licences are to regional level. So for example WIN stations have to insert their own regional news for that region. They also have to see their own advertising to pay for the rights to programs and the cost of transmission.

Alan, I understand the how's and why's...I'm not exactly new to the idea of aggregation and the differences between metropolitan and regional TV operators! I was simply trying to make the point, that by WIN going to the lengths they do to cover up their affiliate channels' (nines) logo, it only serves to bastardise their product, rather than enhance it.

(Most) people are smart enough to realise where the program they are watching is originating from, and equally smart enough to realise they are watching a regional affiliate station if they are outside a capital city without solid watermarks screaming it out!

D.

Edited by hidefdave, 27 January 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#7 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:32 PM

G'day Alanh,

Don't forget that dispute caused the South East of S.A. WIN stations to become affiliates of the Seven Network

Yeah, I was in the area when the first Hey Hey Reunion show was screened....What did WIN do? Play Seven content, and kept putting announcements up saying a new digital channel was coming.....called "Channel Nine"

So now, they have WIN (7) , Win Ten (10) , and Nine (9)

Confusing?

I too remember when that happened...WIN used those markets as a bargaining chip to force nine into lowering their affiliate licencing fees as I recall. I have friends and family in Mount Gambier, and a lot of them were p*&%ed off no end at the time when all of a sudden they couldn't watch the footy show! (Those without access to the Victorian digital channels from Mt Dundas anyway!)

In fact WIN took it to the point where on their Adelaide and Perth nine branded stations, they actually covered up the nine "dots" logo with their own "dot free" logo whenever it was used on the national feed!!

D.

#8 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

WIN's "branding" via their watermarking is now totally over the top IMHO. In addition to the news and WWOS solidmarks, what they're now serving up on GEM and GO is an utter disgrace. A solid white WIN logo above each respective channels' solid colour logo!

Seriously, WTF?!

D.

#9 digitalj

digitalj

AV Forum Member

• 12,947 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

WIN's "branding" via their watermarking is now totally over the top IMHO. In addition to the news and WWOS solidmarks, what they're now serving up on GEM and GO is an utter disgrace. A solid white WIN logo above each respective channels' solid colour logo!

Seriously, WTF?!

D.

Make a complaint to WIN. If the response is unsatisfactory, complain to ACMA.

#10 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:20 AM

A solid white WIN logo above each respective channels' solid colour logo!

I took a look at the channels to see what the complaining was about and I have to say congratulations to WIN on the tackiest WIN coverup yet. Worst part is the GEM and GO! logos didn't suggest anything about 9 at all therefore don't need to be covered up. Not only that, the timing of the blots was so bad (at least in Mackay QLD) that they didn't effectively hide the original GEM and GO! logo anyway.

WIN could have done a visually more acceptable quality alpha blend of the WIN logo either over the top of the GEM / GO! logo or above it if WIN wants to stamp its brand on the channels. There's no reason for a solid colour logo at all really. Just as well I don't watch FTA.

ACMA isn't the slightest bit interested in horrible coloured blots digitalj. At best I'd expected to get a polite email back saying something along those lines.

#11 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

ACMA isn't the slightest bit interested in horrible coloured blots digitalj. At best I'd expected to get a polite email back saying something along those lines.

I agree. Which is why I simply choose not to watch any of the WIN channels with the exception of the cricket. I used to watch the occasional show on GEM/GO!, but sorry WIN, you've lost me.

Does anyone know if the WIN owned nein stations in Adelaide and Perth are adding additional blots to their respective feeds?

D.

#12 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Seriously, WTF?!

D.

Totally agree, sent WIN an email via their website tonight.

#13 thunderball

thunderball

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:19 AM

If a new deal is reached between 9 and win cant 9 say no cover ups of our logo's ?
I will ony watch win for the cricket and nrl its a joke

#14 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

One could argue that WIN has been in a position to demand clean feeds for years.

Not that this really has anything to do with the horror that appears on GEM and GO. The GEM and GO! logos do not identify the channels as being 9 services in any way and WIN's horrible solid logos actually contain WIN's version of the GEM and GO! logos! I could understand it if WIN was attempting to re-brand the channels with different names but that's not the case.

Ultimately it's just another example of WIN's hamfisted daily operations. After all these years, multiple regional upgrades and a completely new playout centre, even the brief viewing I did before showed examples of WIN not being able to correctly time ad / promo insertion. About the only thing that seems to have changed is WIN no longer uses analogue video tape to time shift programming.

#15 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,738 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Does anyone have examples? Im sure others are also curious what this currently looks like?

#16 vonbarron

vonbarron

AV Forum Member

• 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by vonbarron, 10 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#17 doodlefeatures

doodlefeatures

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

haha, that just looks terrible and amateur

#18 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

One could argue that WIN has been in a position to demand clean feeds for years.

Not that this really has anything to do with the horror that appears on GEM and GO. The GEM and GO! logos do not identify the channels as being 9 services in any way and WIN's horrible solid logos actually contain WIN's version of the GEM and GO! logos! I could understand it if WIN was attempting to re-brand the channels with different names but that's not the case.

Ultimately it's just another example of WIN's hamfisted daily operations. After all these years, multiple regional upgrades and a completely new playout centre, even the brief viewing I did before showed examples of WIN not being able to correctly time ad / promo insertion. About the only thing that seems to have changed is WIN no longer uses analogue video tape to time shift programming.

Quite right. WIN love to keep ramming the fact that they are "Australia's Largest Regional Broadcaster, broadcasting in every state in Australia" down our throats, and this latest on-screen blot effort is obviously their attempt to reinforce that. But really, what average viewer gives a toss who provides their programming? Any STB/PVR/DTV tuner will provide the name of the channel (and in most cases the region) each time the channel is changed! (ie GEM Western Vic, GO! Western Vic etc).

Ten/SC have it spot on the money as far as the commercial channels go - faint, unobtrusive logos in the 16:9 area of the frame. If we must have watermarks, why do we need more than that?

D.

#19 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,738 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks vonbarron, I can see what you guys mean now - that is horrible. Double watermarks should be a no-no, but I am more curious why those caps are showing GO! and GEM with solid purple watermarks? I am sure here in Melbourne they are greyed out once the program has scrolled its title card off the screen...

#20 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Believe it or not DansDans, that's how it looks ... all ... the ... time. From what I saw here in Mackay QLD, the program returns from an ad break, 9's watermark (GEM and GO!s animated logo sequence) appear and then 30 or so seconds later WIN's blot fades up over the top.

#21 DansDans

DansDans

AV Forum Member

• 2,738 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:27 PM

Believe it or not DansDans, that's how it looks ... all ... the ... time. From what I saw here in Mackay QLD, the program returns from an ad break, 9's watermark (GEM and GO!s animated logo sequence) appear and then 30 or so seconds later WIN's blot fades up over the top.

...and it stays a solid purple all the time too??

That really is over the top. Its annoying on the pay channels, but that coupled with double watermarks is just (for lack of a better word) stupid

#22 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Solid, colour, all the time.

#23 daro

daro

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

I absolutely can't stand them. :pinch:

I suppose if the Nine Network folds ultimately will they be the knight in shining armour & buy them out & then those **** marks will be on there as well.

(Not Happy Jan...)

#24 hidefdave

hidefdave

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Solid, colour, all the time.

And now a solid pink WIN logo on both GEM and GO!...

Fair dinkum, in what universe do these f***tards at WIN think that huge coloured on screen blots are a good idea? Gee, it's no wonder people find "alternative" ways of watching stuff is it...

D.

#25 ckent

ckent

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Oh gawd, you're right.

Both logos are now pink. Even the WIN.

This is a perfect example of a network owner who doesn't watch their own network.