Integrated Amp

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,307 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

The acoustic characteristics of the room have a major effect upon the clarity of the sound we hear, more so than any amplifier or any other tweak that is fashionable at the time. Doing so you might find a lot of amplifier/ loudspeaker combinations are much more agreeable, though there will always be some slight differences depending on the amplifier topology used. For instance, Valve verses Solid State; whether it be Class A, AB1, B, D can make a perceptible difference too.
But that said, amplifier differences are quite minor by comparison to room treatment.

Just Imagine sitting in a really BIG loudspeaker box with little or no acoustic filling, apart from the internal resonances being naturally higher and more obnoxious there is little difference between it and that of most untreated listening rooms without furniture.

So in pursuit of 'synergy' between acoustic elements in the chain, I would suggest the Jumbo in the corner is 'room treatment'. It trampled my audio efforts for many years. :hmm: ....well worth a thought.

C.M

Edited by Chicken Man, 21 April 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#27 Cafad

Cafad

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

I have put some thought and effort into room treatment, with foam coating the walls to the side and rear of my speakers, though I stopped at a point where I was short on cash and time (stupid reality, it makes a mess of everything fun!) I'll get back to it some time soon. I'm probably about half way along on the room treatment path.

#28 Cafad

Cafad

AV Forum Member

• 49 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

Well it took quite a while but I finally got my hands on a second hand Perreaux E160i and I am a little disapointed at its performance. The SX25i gave a clearer and cleaner performance, the E160i has a more forward presentation with more emphasis on mid bass and bass. In fact the E160i is almost like listing to a more powerful SX25i with the loudness button on. The Burson definitely beats it in clarity and separation of insturments, vocals are a little better on the Burson as well. I went back to the Dussun on this one and found that the Dussun + (as I'm calling the Dussun V6i with a standard interconnect in the place of the stock jumpers) soundly beats it on all fronts. Next up will be the new Rotel RA1520.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Integrated Amp