Antenna Balun Cabling Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 schuel

schuel

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

I have recently moved into an (old) apartment in South Yarra (VIC) and have had poor dtv reception especially on abc/sbs/ch7. I have no experience with antennas but have done some googling.

The set up is as follows:

Twin lead antenna cable comes into the apartment (not sure what kind of antenna) and inside the apartment I have a indoor balun (like this http://jaycar.com.au...un&form=KEYWORD) then coax to the TV. The twin lead cable is twisting around the balun wire (it had spade connectors which I removed).

After playing around with the cabling, I have found that I get the best reception when only one of the twin lead cables is connected to the balun leaving a loose balun end and antenna wire end dangling. If I connect both (as it seems it should be) the reception becomes worse, especially sbs which drops out completely. With this set up I seem to get reasonably smooth picture on all channels except when I walk around near the cable which seems to cause some intermittent interference which results in temporarily lost or jerky picture.

Is this the best way to connect the TV? Does it matter that an end of the cable from the wall and on the balun is disconnected? Why would it work better like this?

#2 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

If the building still has 300 ohm ribbon cable, it needs to be upgraded to coax and it's likely the antenna will require upgrading too if it's of a similar age to the cable.

Coax for residential use was introduced when colour TV commenced in Australia in 1975, so it's likely the cabling in your building dates back before then.

Ribbon cable is generally not suitable for digital TV reception.

Being in Sth Yarra, you may find an indoor antenna works OK with UHF signals from the translators on the Como building.

#3 schuel

schuel

AV Forum Member

• 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

OK thanks a lot I might discuss upgrading the antenna with the body corp.

Is there any danger with the set up I'm using at the moment (i.e. risk of damage to TV) or can I leave just one wire connected for the time being?

#4 bellotv

bellotv

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

Is there any danger with the set up I'm using at the moment (i.e. risk of damage to TV) or can I leave just one wire connected for the time being?

No danger to the display.

But the squalking when the sound brakes up is annoying. Although I have not heard of speakers being damaged ,best to run at reduced volume until its fixed . Just in case .

Edited by bellotv, 20 January 2012 - 09:34 PM.