Photo

Yamaha Rx-V1071 - Issue With Dolby Digital On Foxtel Hd....need Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

I have a Yamaha RX-V1071. Its running HDMI from Foxtel HD to the amp to the TV.

Ony have this issue watching Foxtel.

On HD channels it switches to Dolby Digital, which is what I want, but on some channels such as MTV HD and some other HD channels it keeps switching from Dolby Digital to say NEO 6 Music for example or whatever the decoder is set to, on the display. It does this on the display every 1 or 2 seconds back and forth. There is no change in the sound quality but why would it do this on the receiver display?

Is it normal?

Maybe its the broadcast since with DVD or Blue Rays its fine. And some HD channels its fine. Seems odd.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by dave73, 19 January 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

if you input another stereo only signal (say CD/ FM tuner) and select your DTSNeo6 surround mode,
does the display cycle like that aswell?

Do you have any options within the Foxtel box to force it to use one sound mode over another?

Edited by Robbks, 19 January 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#3 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

No its only when it uses dolby digital signals which are foxtel hd channels, anything else using another audio source is fine. I can swtich the decoder to Neo or Pro logic etc and its fine. As soon as it goes to a HD channel and converts to Dolby Digital the issues appears.

I switched foxtel between mpeg3 and ac3 audio, same thing.

But i think i know what it might be after more research. I have the arc setting to on, so it maybe receiving the tv audio output feeding it to the amp. The amp is basically getting 2 signals (the Foxtel and the TV) and as the tv doesnt output 5.1 this is causing it to switch between Dolby Digital (Foxtel) and the decoded audio from the TV(Neo, Pro Logic etc.)

Its not doing it on other standard def channels since it cant decode to Dolby Digital as they are standard def channels so it decodes to Pro logic or whatever I chose and there is no issue. As the TV audio signal to the amp is also 2 channel on standard def it doesnt need to switch..

What is odd is that it's not doing it on some HD channels. But this seems to be the only thing I can think of. There is no error message. The foxtel uses optical out direct to the amp along with the hdmi cable, so the TV is essentially getting the audio feed from the Foxtel optical and the HDMI from the TV (using arc).

When i get home i will turn it off anc hopefully it works.

Edited by dave73, 19 January 2012 - 01:03 PM.

#4 Robbks

Robbks

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

arrrgh

wrote a great long post, and the site crashed and lost it.

basically it went along teh line of
My opinion of ARC it it's only useful when you have a HTIAB setup and a TV that you want to get audio from the TV into the surround sound/ combo system.
Not suitable for complex component based Home Theatre's

does your AVR do HDMI pass-through when turned off?
Foxtet > AVR> TV

#5 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

I dont think it does. My knowledge is very basic on this stuff. Sorry you lost the post!

I tried what I said in my previous post. No change. But I think its the unit telling me its playing Dolby Digital on the chosen setting, such as neo 6 or pro logic for example. When it picks up another Dolby Digital channel and doesnt do the change its on straight, so I cant scroll through the sound decoders (pro logic, Neo 6 etc). Maybe its just the signal thats coming from the Foxtel unit, as it doesn't do it with DVD, Xbox or Blue ray.

Its not the arc or anything that I am aware of so wonder if its actually normal for this to occur.

Edited by dave73, 19 January 2012 - 05:26 PM.

#6 Space Hi-Fi

Space Hi-Fi

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

To clarify, do you have a HDMI Cable going from the Foxtel directly to the TV and an Optical Cable from the Foxtel to the AVR?

The output on the AVR is also connected directly to the TV which is where the ARC conflict may be occurring?

Perhaps I may have misunderstood but as you have Foxtel, I would recommend connecting all the devices direct to the AVR via HDMI, remove the Optical Cable and disable ARC.

Edited by Space Hi-Fi, 07 February 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#7 euro73

euro73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have a Yamaha RX-V1071. Its running HDMI from Foxtel HD to the amp to the TV.

Ony have this issue watching Foxtel.

On HD channels it switches to Dolby Digital, which is what I want, but on some channels such as MTV HD and some other HD channels it keeps switching from Dolby Digital to say NEO 6 Music for example or whatever the decoder is set to, on the display. It does this on the display every 1 or 2 seconds back and forth. There is no change in the sound quality but why would it do this on the receiver display?

Is it normal?

Maybe its the broadcast since with DVD or Blue Rays its fine. And some HD channels its fine. Seems odd.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I have the RX V1067- the previous model, so should basically work the same. I have a PS3, DVD player, Apple TV2 and Fox IQ2 connected to the Yamaha via HDMI . ie - each source is connected to the receivers HDMI inputs which are called AV1,2,3 etc. Then I have the HDMI OUT 1 from my receiver, connected to my TV. The TV just becomes a display monitor, effectively. Depending on which AV source is selected on the receiver, that's what is displayed on the TV and that's the source from which audio is output. Is this how you have your equipment set up? If not, as Space HiFi has recommended above, I would agree that you would be best off to set your system up this way.

#8 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thanks guys, I have pretty much like you said, the Blu ray, xbox apple TV and Foxtel HD all connected to the receiver via HDMI, with HDMI out to the TV.

I think I do have the optical out from foxtel to receiver, as I thought I needed to do this as Foxtel doesn't broadcast Dolby Digital via HDMI, maybe thats incorrect.

I have ARC turned off but I will take out the optical and see if this works. Will let you know.

Chees

#9 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well I disconnected the optical cable, seems I don't need that so that's gone, but the issue is still there, ARC is off, I just don't get it. There must be a logical reason why some HD channels are fine and some do this.

I am out of idea as the receiver knows it's only sing HDMI to receive audio and video, its not an issue with the foxtel box or it would happen all the time. Its not the receiver as it is fine with other componenets and the TV is brand new and again its not every channel where this happnes, seems to be fox 8, MTVHD and a couple of movie HD channels.

Any other suggestions?

#10 GaryCook

GaryCook

DTV Forums Member

• 621 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:12 AM

How's your Foxtel signal Quality? Mine drops out of DD when the Quality (not Signal Strength) goes below the green band.

Just in case, you are aware that advertisemenrs, station ID ands other such no program stuff are hardly ever DD? So you'll get lots of movement in and out of DD while watching, say, a movie.

Cheers
Gary

#11 miata

miata

DTV Forums Member

• 1,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:16 AM

I don't understand why you have the TV outputting to the amp at all. Like Euro73, I have my two PVRs (Topfield/ iQ2) connected via HDMi to the receiver, also the BD player. The only connection to the TV are the RF lead and the single HDMi output from the receiver. I don't know whether your receiver is newer or older than my RXV-1800 but I have no problem with 5.1 from Foxtel or any of the other formats (DTS etc) from the BD player.

#12 dave73

dave73

DTV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

To Gary Cook, I know with commercial etc it will lose DD and drop out so no issues there. The sound itself isnt dropping though, just the display. And its consistent, only certain channels as mentioned, and its always doing it, where some channels it doesnt and is always displaying DD. So I dont see it being an overal issue with foxtel otherwise the issue would be with every HD channel, not just some.

To Miata, I only hae the TV out of the amp via HDMI, maybe I wasnt clear on that, there is no input from the TV to the amp. Its not that old an amp. I have to put it down to the signal tranmitted from those channels, as nothing I try has made a difference, changing cable, removing the optical from foxtel, changing settings.

Just seems ot be a strange issue

Edited by dave73, 20 February 2012 - 08:47 PM.