• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 webbsy

webbsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Since it is pre-ordering soon wondering if anyone would be interested in a Gb on this? should be able to get some good pricing for bulk orders?

Heres some info http://store.sony.co...artNumber=HMZT1

Let me Know.

Edited by webbsy, 12 January 2012 - 12:36 PM.

#2 adumicic

adumicic

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yeah, I'm interested!

#3 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:46 PM

This is not really a "projector display" technology, though the idea is neat.

#4 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,601 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

note that in the spec it's states:

Display Resolution : 1280x720

NOT TRUE HD! - why oh why would they bother and if you are going to notice the difference it is going to be when the screen is right under over your nose!

#5 MarkTecher

MarkTecher

AV Forum Member

• 5,566 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Display Resolution : 1280x720

A big step up from the older 480 versions of a few years ago. What would be really cool with a product like this is if they could incorporate the "motion head tracking" as demonstrated by that guy that reversed the sensor and control of a WII console (You should be able to find the link in You-Tube) where the limitation of his set up was that only one person at one time could watch. Because each viewer wears their own headset, the tech could be made that allow all viewers to see around and even behind objects relative to their viewing postion. This has potential.

#6 webbsy

webbsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I know irs not technically a projector but it does make it seem like you are watching a cinema screen, and it doesnt really matter if its not full hd because i dont think you would notice anyway.

#7 dyates69

dyates69

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:37 PM

I'm keen on a pre-order. What will the RRP be locally? Also how do you know it's pre-ordering soon?

#8 nightbreed

nightbreed

AV Forum Member

• Commercial Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Very interested here!

#9 dyates69

dyates69

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

I'm guessing this was speculation. I'll probably just grab one from HK instead.

#10 webbsy

webbsy

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

apparently they are exclusives to start so we cant get them.

#11 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm interested!

#12 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

Just pre ordered mine from the sony store in the city :) Did a 10 min test and had massive red marks on my nose and forehead! definitely just for use at home alone haha

#13 MLXXX

MLXXX

AV Forum Member

• 5,414 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

I presume this personal viewer has a maximum frame rate of 60fps. There is some 3D Blu-ray material available at 1280x720p60. And some computer games can provide 720p 3D at 60fps.

For 3D movies from a Blu-ray player, we expect a display to be able to operate at 24fps and at a resolution of 1920x1080. This personal viewer would provide a slightly softer viewing experience with its 1280x720 per eye [even if it attempted to bias the rescaling for the Left eye differently to the Right eye, e.g. to give the Left eye view more of the odd line source content, and the Right eye view more of the even line source content].

I've been looking for a display device for editing 3D material that avoids the timing limitation of current shutter glasses (120Hz, or 60Hz per eye). For me the video develops a watery mirage like effect because of the disparity in timing between presentation of movement to each eye. I find the alternation rate used at the cinema, RealD (144Hz or 72Hz per eye), just sufficient to overcome this, for my eyes. [LG make a 23" monitor (LG D2342P-PN) that uses different polarisation for odd and even lines, and passive glasses. That avoids any disparity in timing between left and right views. It also give a venetian blind effect if you are too close to the monitor and see the missing lines. I was almost prepared to accept that compromise but the contrast of the monitor is noticeable poorer than typical 2D monitors so I have decided not to proceed.]

I'm drawn to this personal viewer, but it does seem bulky and likely to lead to wearing discomfort. It is restricted by the cables that connect it, and (important to me though perhaps not for a lot of people) it is limited to a resolution of 1280p.

As MarkT has observed, there is some potential use for a virtual reality appplication if head movements could be successfully tracked. Virtual reality in 3D at 720p would be pretty amazing!

#14 DR.ZOIDBERG

DR.ZOIDBERG

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:19 PM

Tested one on the weekend and its amazing!!!

But I would need to buy 2 one for me and the Mrs. How would this work? Do you need to have 2 of those boxes hooked up?

Also, if I have my PS3, HD DVD Player and Ps3 hooked to my Sony 3D tv via HDMI already, how do I get all 3 connected to this thing as well as my tv rather then unpluing each HDMI cable every time I want to watch ir on either TV or headset

#15 davep

davep

AV Forum Member

• 3,530 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Maybe an AVR with 2 HDMI outs?

#16 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

*Warning!*
Ok I got my headset yesterday. When I demoed the unit it was uncomfortable but I assured myself that with a good 30min of adjustments I could get it perfect. WRONG! I am returning it today!

*I don't know if its my big nose :P but I just cant get comfy, I tried for 2 hrs
*The screen is noticeably blurry n the edges, but thats not just the last 5% of the screen its really closer to 20% on each side!
*My (older) Xbox 360 showed up as no signal and I have no idea why, PS3 worked fine.
*Uncharted 3, which states it is 3D did not display in 3d and no matter what I did in settings it wouldn't.

In the end I wasn't even able to use any of my 3d content as most of it was on xbox. Bottom line is although it was cool racing F1's while lying down, the discomfort level was just too great Also IMO it doesn't really look like 720p, looks between 480p and 720p.

Just my opinion but thought i'd let you guys know. P.S its bloody annoying putting on the rubber glare stoppers as they never connect well and fall off if you put any weight n them at all. :(

#17 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,601 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:28 AM

I had a feeling these would be less than advertised 8(

#18 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:36 PM

If comfort wasn't an issue I'd be all for them but yeah, I'd defo recommend checking back in with this technology in a couple of gens. I do see potential.

#19 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I had a go with these yesterday and found:
1) The 3D is the best I have seen as you have a separate screen for each eye
2) The head set is heavy and uncomfortable
3) You have to get the eye relief just right (as well as up/down and left/right) or you end up with a blurry image in one or both eyes
4) It really needs an accelerometer. I kept moving my head to see left/right and up/down but of course nothing changes in the vision being displayed. If it has this ability it would be great with games as could naturally just look around!
5) The glasses are hardwired to the controller which has a single HDMI In & you need one controller per glasses. So if the family was to try to watch a movie then you would need an HDMI splitter to feed all the controllers. Also while the rep was claiming some fantastically wide field of view I found it more narrow and deep.

Conclusion: I'm sure my son would love one for gaming on the PS3 for say $199. At $800 it is too expensive for this market, and I found them to unwieldy for watching a movie. Impressive tech, now for V3.0

Edited by jmone, 18 February 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#20 Mullins_Y2k

Mullins_Y2k

AV Forum Member

• 39 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Spot on jmone. If the tech gets to V3.0 then we're in for a treat.

#21 Berardo

Berardo

AV Forum Member

• 53 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Had mine for 2 weeks and modified by using a baseball cap so the cap brim supports the units weight and can wear them for hours without discomfort. Hooke up to my yamaha amp which has 2 hdmi outputs so everything can be switched to play through them. Best 3d I have seen and avatar bdr looks great. 3d gaming is a blast especially motorstorm apocalypse.

I would use them for 3d movies and gaming vor a more imersive feeling. Compared with my 63 inch samsung the image appears to be about 150 inches. There are several mods posted for comfort and I recommend the baseball cap mod as it is easy and cheap and works a treat. With my hdmi switching via amp I can run video to headset and tv so if game playing a frind can watch on tv. Pic quality is good. I would say the next version may be better but there is no way to get such a large 3d picture at this price. A cool toy if you have the cash.

#22 laurie

laurie

AV Forum Member

• 6,413 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm sure the very first units was taken off the market because fear of eye damage as the image was projected onto the eyes directly or is this is a screen in front of your eyes?

cheers laurie

#23 jmone

jmone

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

There is an screen in front of each eye

#24 sirhc55

sirhc55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I have pre-ordered for the 20th of March so hopefully it will eventuate.

#25 sirhc55

sirhc55

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

Tested one on the weekend and its amazing!!!

But I would need to buy 2 one for me and the Mrs. How would this work? Do you need to have 2 of those boxes hooked up?

Also, if I have my PS3, HD DVD Player and Ps3 hooked to my Sony 3D tv via HDMI already, how do I get all 3 connected to this thing as well as my tv rather then unpluing each HDMI cable every time I want to watch ir on either TV or headset

HDMI switch. . .