4 replies to this topic

#1 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi all,

After watching a rental disc today and trying to eject it, the tray of my Oppo BDP-83 was empty. Long story short, I disassembled the machine (it's out of warranty anyway) and managed to get the disc out. It had some glue residue on the surface and became stuck to the mechanism inside.

That's all fine now, but the real problem is when I put other discs in (new ones, old ones, DVD-Rs) that have no residue on them, they get stuck 1 in 5 times. There must still be some glue residue inside the player where it clamps the disc.

What can I do to clean the clamp? Should I just leave it all alone for a week and hope it dries? I have a feeling it will remain tacky for a very long time.

Thanks
Simon

#2 Chopsus

Chopsus

AV Forum Member

• 14,153 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'd contact Oppo, explain the situation and ask if they could send you a replacement drive.

You might get lucky and get it gratis if you spin a sad enough tale

#3 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:08 PM

I actually solved it hah.. I unscrewed the two screws holding the drive to the mainboard, peeled back the two pieces of sticky tape, and finally pushed in the four clips holding the top of the drive in. The top slides out backwards and I cleaned the spinning top with water and a cloth, repeatedly, until it no longer felt tacky. Reassembled, tried ten discs, none stuck!

#4 David Williams

David Williams

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Was it a Quikflix disk by any chance?

#5 AzagTh0tH

AzagTh0tH

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

Was it a Quikflix disk by any chance?

No, it was an ex-rental purchase from a Video Ezy closing down sale. I should have inspected it beforehand! Luckily it's taught me a lesson to clean the disc tops with goo remover and water.