Satellite/terrestrial Combo Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

We have recently bought a new house. With it came a 65cm satellite dish and a Sanyo PLV-Z5 overhead projector. The PLV-Z5 has HDMI connectors so I assume I'm after a HD STB.

I would appreciate recommendations for a satellite and terrestrial combo STB (specific models please). FTA is all we're after at this stage so we're not considering Pay TV.

#2 Tazzy2Heads

Tazzy2Heads

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:15 PM

We have recently bought a new house. With it came a 65cm satellite dish and a Sanyo PLV-Z5 overhead projector. The PLV-Z5 has HDMI connectors so I assume I'm after a HD STB.

I would appreciate recommendations for a satellite and terrestrial combo STB (specific models please). FTA is all we're after at this stage so we're not considering Pay TV.

Hi ' Domma ' Where are you located ?
A HD Set Top Box is the go for normal FTA tv if there is a service to receive in your area.
If you have no Terrestrial tv service and have to go Satellite it will be the FTA VAST satellite service you can connect to with there own VAST HD receiver
which obviously does VAST satellite only if you qualify to be activated. Your dish is probably ex PAY TV.
Combo terrestrial satellite boxes are normally used by people who want to watch a specific service from an overseas country targeting Australia or FTA
Christian TV . I'm not sure if combo boxes are available for HD at a reasonable cost others will know. What Satellite TV do you want to receive ?
Cheers Tazzy.

#3 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

Combo terrestrial satellite boxes are normally used by people who want to watch a specific service from an overseas country targeting Australia

Hit the nail on the head. The previous owners did the same (BVN - Dutch). With the combo box can use the projector to watch both DVB-T & S without having a TV.

Edited by Domma, 05 January 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#4 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

I use a Strong SRT-4910 (superceded by the 4930) it does all SD and HD satellite and terrestrial channels.

I have it connected to an external USB HDD to make it a PVR.

There are several other modeles available from different manufacturers, some with dual tuners.

#5 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

I use a Strong SRT-4910 (superceded by the 4930) it does all SD and HD satellite and terrestrial channels.

I have it connected to an external USB HDD to make it a PVR.

Is USB 2.0 fast enough? More to the point what is the best way to connect an external HDD to the STB? The fastest?

#6 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Is USB 2.0 fast enough? More to the point what is the best way to connect an external HDD to the STB? The fastest?

Yes, USB 2.0 is fast enough.

The decoder also has eSATA, which I have also used, but can't differentiate between eSATA and USB 2.0 in real time operation.

eSATA is much faster than USB however, USB 3.0 is comparable, but I haven't seen a decoder with USB 3.0 connectivity yet.

Naturally, for USB 3.0, you would need a USB 3.0 compatible external drive as well.

#7 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Yes, USB 2.0 is fast enough.

The decoder also has eSATA, which I have also used, but can't differentiate between eSATA and USB 2.0 in real time operation.

Thanks MTV. Won't go outta my way to get an external HDD with an eSATA connection as there are plenty on the market with USB 2.0.

#8 Refidim

Refidim

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

Top of the line new Powers 8200 Ter/Sat combo will set you back $450.-

See here...>> http://www.dtvforum....dpost&p=1771656

#9 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

That's a nice looking unit Redifim but it looks like we're getting a second hand Strong SRT 4910 for less than half that. With that and an external HDD we should be in business!

Now for an amplifier and speaker system and we'll have a home theater system...but I'll ask for suggestions in the appropriate forum...when we have enuf $'s.

#10 Domma

Domma

AV Forum Member

• 11 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:23 PM

Samsung Story Station 3 1TB doesn't seem to be compatible with the Strong SRT 4910 (at a guess the USB 3.0 may be the problem).

WD Elements 1TB works fine...now have a PVR!