• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#26 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:05 PM

All seems ok today, haven't watched a lot of WIN for a couple of days, could it be fixed?

#27 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

All seems ok today, haven't watched a lot of WIN for a couple of days, could it be fixed?

Quoting myself :blush:

Nope still happening tonight. Usual symptoms.

#28 tasbloke

tasbloke

AV Forums Member

• 19 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

Hi Guys, Still a problem here in Devonport from KT. Made a note of times last night:

10:10 Pixilation
10:19 Pixilation
10:34 Audio drop out & pixilation
10:39 Audio drop out & Pixilation
10:48 Audio drop out & pixilation
10:49 Audio drop out & pixilation (X2)

#29 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi Guys, Still a problem here in Devonport from KT. Made a note of times last night:

10:10 Pixilation
10:19 Pixilation
10:34 Audio drop out & pixilation
10:39 Audio drop out & Pixilation
10:48 Audio drop out & pixilation
10:49 Audio drop out & pixilation (X2)

We have spoken about this offline but can anyone tell me if they are seeing this pixelation on Analog as at the same time as Digital? The reason I ask is because the analog signal at Mt Barrow is derived from the digital feed and if both are affected it is less likely to be a reception issue.

Also, how are people reporting issues to WIN? By email on the website or by phone to the local studio?

#30 tasbloke

tasbloke

AV Forums Member

• 19 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Hey guys, can anyone check the analogue along side the digital signal as Stump is asking above? I can't due to equipment limitations but this may be very helpful information.

Also we must keep records of issues and let WIN know asap (i ahvent done this as often as I should have but will form now on). Basically they need more than just one person making a complaint each time. Go for it!

cheers,
Marc

#31 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

We have spoken about this offline but can anyone tell me if they are seeing this pixelation on Analog as at the same time as Digital? The reason I ask is because the analog signal at Mt Barrow is derived from the digital feed and if both are affected it is less likely to be a reception issue.

Also, how are people reporting issues to WIN? By email on the website or by phone to the local studio?

Hey guys, can anyone check the analogue along side the digital signal as Stump is asking above? I can't due to equipment limitations but this may be very helpful information.

Also we must keep records of issues and let WIN know asap (i ahvent done this as often as I should have but will form now on). Basically they need more than just one person making a complaint each time. Go for it!

cheers,
Marc

I have been checking analogue v digital (both direct from Barrow), very un-scientific (sorry), have been switching between the two for 5-10 minutes at a time, have only seen intermittent breakup on digital, have not seen any sign on analogue.

As for reporting to WIN, I originally phoned (a Hobart number IIRC), was told I was the only person who'd called but they would pass it on, they took my details, but I never heard anything back, can't be sure of the date. Then (some weeks later) emailed as per earlier posts and received the disappointing response that I took exception to.

Edited by BigBadBaz, 01 February 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#32 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:51 PM

No change.

Still happening tonight while watching Earthflight on GEM 1930 - 2030.

Flicked across to WIN & GO! when the ad breaks were on, they were playing up as well.

#33 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Still happening, particullarly bad tonight on all (WIN, GO, GEM)

Sigh......Is it worth reporting?

#34 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Still happening, particullarly bad tonight on all (WIN, GO, GEM)

Sigh......Is it worth reporting?

All I can say is that the transmitters are operating correctly and that if no one reports anything to WIN then nothing further will happen. I sympathise but there is little further I can do until WIN decide there is enough of an issue to investigate further.

#35 nbound

nbound

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:22 PM

I imagine it would help if you guys got affected friends and family to also complain (or at least combine your data of when it plays up). The same complaints from the same people wont hold much weight if they beleive their isnt a problem.

#36 manian

manian

AV Forums Member

• 42 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Juliana Street is an off-air transmitter fed from Mt Barrow, right? I think I'll stick an antenna up at work and set some recordings from both Mt Barrow and Juliana Street.

If these random dropouts coincide, this will pretty much prove the fault lies with the Mt Barrow site. I shall then drop into WIN Launceston and present them with the evidence. I hope this is enough for them to at least look at it. Because, they obviously didn't look into anything the last two times I complained.

It's pretty sad that I have to resort to using my VAST box to watch live CH9 content these days.

#37 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Still happening, as of this evening, exactly yh==the same symptoms as usual. I can't believe that a WIN employee hasn't noticed this.

#38 crispin316

crispin316

AV Forums Member

• 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

Sounds like WIN's employees dont watch WIN...

#39 Robbks

Robbks

AV Forums Member

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Haven't had this issue in Hobart......
You should all move...

but seriously.
just stepping back to basics a little

can anyone that's getting the breakup take note of any other devices being operated at the same time (fridge, freezer, heat-pump, etc) it could be a localised back-EMF issue.
do you all have surge boards or not?
with or without the antenna connected through it?

The other possibility is interference/ desense at the broadcast site caused by one of the (many) other bits of transmission gear at the same site
Local radio (god channels especially) have been causing some havoc recently with their horrible gear,
Also some other cowboys around bouncing wireless broad-band around (cough* BBW *cough)
then you've got local councils, forestry, BoM, police, fire, ses, ambo, amateur radio operators and god knows who else trying to cover the area.

make your complaint with ACMA.
it may not be WIN's fault their gear is getting smashed by some other source

Edited by Robbks, 19 April 2012 - 04:45 PM.

#40 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

can anyone that's getting the breakup take note of any other devices being operated at the same time (fridge, freezer, heat-pump, etc) it could be a localised back-EMF issue.
do you all have surge boards or not?
with or without the antenna connected through it?

Read the whole thread perhaps to see this is not likely to be relevant?

On another point:

With the start of 84 in the multiplex today, Mt Barrow transmissions have gone spastic - up/down/up/down - sound familiar?

Must be giving the Tx chain a nice workout :hyper:

#41 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

There are some data rate issues today - should be "back to normal" soon!

#42 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

Don't watch much WIN, but haven't noticed any random breakup the few times I have since the start of channel 84.

Now the Kelcey tier WIN analogue transmission is plagued with random white dots - WIN told a customer it was a reception problem - pig's arse I said, I've recently upgraded your reception and it's fine.

(I've noticed this elsewhere, but didn't concern myself too much, as the PQ for analogue WIN/ABC/SBS transmissions from KT has been ITU grade 4 for ages - compared with SCTV.)

The white dots seem to have started about the same time 84 fired up, this could be a coincidence, however.

Roll on analogue switchoff.

#43 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

Looks like the random breakups have gone. :queen:

Haven't noticed any since my last post.

Haven't had customers complaining about it.

#44 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yep, seems fine now. Did we have an effect with this thread? Did it get fixed as a by product of CH 84? Who knows, we probably never will. All's well that ends well I guess.... :no:

#45 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

No changes made by my guys, if WIN changed something in the transport stream then I am unaware of it (not unusual unless if affects the transmission site).

#46 BigBadBaz

BigBadBaz

AV Forums Member

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

No changes made by my guys, if WIN changed something in the transport stream then I am unaware of it (not unusual unless if affects the transmission site).

The fact that at least 2 of us have noticed the problem is resolved indicates that it wasn't a reception issue though. Anywho we move on and hope it doesn't re occur.

#47 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

There are some data rate issues today - should be "back to normal" soon!

I have no idea what a data rate issue is/was. Was it fixed by a master reset?

I was installing an antenna that day, and rang WIN in Hobart upon noticing the problem.

To their credit, they knew about it, no doubt because of all the complaints from the northern part of the island.

The signal from Mt Barrow was actually switching on & off from what I could see, which was interesting, and lead to my earlier comment about giving the Tx a workout.

That evening, after the problem seemed to be resolved, and while deliberately watching WIN, I saw no more intermittent breakups.

Nor have I since, as noted previously.

I'm inclined to think there was more than a casual relationship between my observations.

It's all good that ends well.

#48 Guest_stump_1100_*

Guest_stump_1100_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

If I recall correctly, this around the time that Mediahub was playing with the data stream to the TAS market. It seems that the data stream was adjusted ( TAS operates slightly differently to the mainland due to the modulator settings used for Mt Wellington - simply put it's a slightly lower data rate approx 21Mbps instead of 23) to high and this caused Mt Barrow to have some issues (understating it a little...).

The guard interval in TAS is a little bigger due to the dominance of Mt Wellington.

#49 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forums Member

• 2,778 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for that information. :)

#50 manian

manian

AV Forums Member

• 42 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, I haven't noticed any transmission issues for a couple of weeks.

Took them over a year, but here's hoping it's finally fixed. :)