• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

I just bought a 55" Full-HD LED TV (T36 Series, Hisense), and whist its great for the most part, certain channels sometimes have a few frames that seem very sluggish and slow. So I'll be watching something and every now and then the frame rate will move in a very sluggish, slow manner for a few seconds at a time. For example; I'm watching the Tennis on channel One right now and this problem is even more obvious since tennis makes for a fast moving telecast. So its even clearer to detect.

This is the TV I bought - http://www.hisense.c...38/209#features

Like I said I love it for the most part, its just this little buzzing problem annoys me since I didn't have this issue on my previous 32" HD TV. Can anyone help me with this? Is their something I need to adjust or whatever?

#2 Mjr69

Mjr69

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Have you seen a difference when you select the 100Hz Vivid Motion on and off? The manufacturer puts in some in-between frames to assist when viewing sports etc. It may be that it either cannot keep up - or it needs to be switched on to improve the display.

#3 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Sharp,
Does this problem only occur on one program or all programs with fast motion eg. Tennis, footie etc. Does it occur on any other channel?

Sometimes it's a broadcaster's problem.

A common cause of this problem is antenn signal which contains lots of errors. This also causes the picture and sound to break up.

Geographic Viewers' forum Then select the forum where you are viewing. Now select the first post in "Get the best reception" post

AlanH

#4 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

Have you seen a difference when you select the 100Hz Vivid Motion on and off? The manufacturer puts in some in-between frames to assist when viewing sports etc. It may be that it either cannot keep up - or it needs to be switched on to improve the display.

I don't actually see a 100Hz Vivid Motion option on my actual HD TV. I can't seem to find that option anywhere in the menu despite what that information says on that link (which is the exact HD-TV I have.)

Would you know where I could find this option? because I cant seem to locate it. If I could I would try turning on/off..

Edited by sharp_1, 02 January 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#5 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:41 PM

Sharp,
Does this problem only occur on one program or all programs with fast motion eg. Tennis, footie etc. Does it occur on any other channel?

Sometimes it's a broadcaster's problem.

A common cause of this problem is antenn signal which contains lots of errors. This also causes the picture and sound to break up.

Geographic Viewers' forum Then select the forum where you are viewing. Now select the first post in "Get the best reception" post

AlanH

It does occurs with a lot of channels yes, but I don't think its every single one, but it is multiple. I don't think its a broadcaster's problem because my previous 32" HD TV had no issues with lag, nor does my current 55" HD TV have sound or video break up issues. The actual quality is fine, its just the laggy frame rates here and there with programming on a few channels (which is more obvious to detect when watching sport like tennis.)

Just for example: I was watching tennis on channel One yesterday and it had that slowish frame rate issues, and now I am watching the tennis on 7Two and the same issues occurs. So 2 different channels with the same issue with the difference being One is obviously a HD channel and 7Two is a SD channel.

I'd appreciate any other help on this

#6 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,559 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

The symptoms you're describing are typical of inadequate digital signal.

It sounds like the Highsense's tuner isn't as effective as your other TV. What's your antenna like? Sounds like you need to upgrade it.

#7 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

The symptoms you're describing are typical of inadequate digital signal.

It sounds like the Highsense's tuner isn't as effective as your other TV. What's your antenna like? Sounds like you need to upgrade it.

Quark, well I did check the signal strength in the menu of my HD TV and the signal strength seems to be running at 91% only, where as the quality is generally at 99% (like I said previously, the actual quality was never an issue, so the 99% for quality doesn't surprise me.) Although the signal like I said remains at 91%. Now I'm presuming that's lower then what it should be, which is causing me the occasional laggy frame rate that I am getting on multiple channels, more so with sport like tennis..?

So bascially is 91% low for signal? Which would mean the problem is the antenn like the previous poster also mentioned...?

#8 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,559 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Quark, well I did check the signal strength in the menu of my HD TV and the signal strength seems to be running at 91% only, where as the quality is generally at 99% (like I said previously, the actual quality was never an issue, so the 99% for quality doesn't surprise me.) Although the signal like I said remains at 91%. Now I'm presuming that's lower then what it should be, which is causing me the occasional laggy frame rate that I am getting on multiple channels, more so with sport like tennis..?

So bascially is 91% low for signal? Which would mean the problem is the antenn like the previous poster also mentioned...?

It's probably a combination of less than optimal antenna (and/or a difficult area for reception) plus a less than optimal tuner in the Hisense TV.

#9 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

It's probably a combination of less than optimal antenna (and/or a difficult area for reception) plus a less than optimal tuner in the Hisense TV.

So simply, what will I need to do in order to fix this problem? Because whist not super serious, it is a bugging problem particularly since I watch a lot of sport where the problem is all the more glaring.

I hope its not too expensive, but I'll do what it takes to resolve the issue.

BTW, pretty much all the channels display a 91% signal strength and a 99% quality rate (the quality ebs and flows from 75 to 99, but like I said, the actual signal strength remains solely on 91%

#10 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,559 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you have a POS antenna, replace it.

If you already have a good antenna in a reasonable reception area, then it's possible some tweaking will fix it. The firm who installed the antenna would be an option. At the very least they should be able to give an opinion as to whether the Hisense's tuner is "not fit for purpose" - this would give you grounds to return it for a refund.

#11 sharp_1

sharp_1

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

It turns out it was the motion flow feature that I had to turn off. Seems ok now. No more laggy frames. Although, sport coverage doesn't quite look as good since that feature was actually smoothing out the coverage, in other words make sport better to watch. So to turn it on for sport only is a matter of putting up with that very problem every now and then.

#12 Quark

Quark

AV Forum Member

• 3,559 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

Sport is one of the few things where motionflow should work well. I expect there's still a marginal reception issue, but your TV can cope when motionflow isn't on.

#13 alanh

alanh

AV Forum Member

• 12,633 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:27 AM

Sharp, Get the best reception" post? The accuracy of the signal strength meter and the quality meter in receivers is not good. A digital field strength meter is calibrated. Endorsed antenna installers have such meters.You should get a signal strength & quality survey.
I hope you are not using an indoor antenna or an antenna designed for analog channels below channel 6.

AlanH

#14 DrP

DrP

AV Forum Member

• 16,740 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

It should be fairly obvious that sharp_1 does not have particularly poor reception as he isn't seeing frequent picture breakup with the motion flow feature turned off. Motion flow and other advanced image processing techniques have been identified as the cause of odd problems in other threads on this forum. Turning it off always cured the symptoms. These advanced features seem to be prone to going off the rails during broadcasts that have undergone a USA frame rate > Australia frame rate cross conversion.

#15 jsmith

jsmith

AV Forum Member

• 6,033 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

It turns out it was the motion flow feature that I had to turn off. Seems ok now. No more laggy frames. Although, sport coverage doesn't quite look as good since that feature was actually smoothing out the coverage, in other words make sport better to watch. So to turn it on for sport only is a matter of putting up with that very problem every now and then.

Yes that is what it is/was. Older interpolation systems (which Hisense would use) can take a moment to get going which is what your seeing. The posts about your reception are incorrect.

JSmith :ninja:

#16 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 11,998 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

Motion interpolation is intended for film source which suffers from motion jitter due to the low frame rate of 24 frames per second on Bluray and 25 on PAL DVD and Oz TV.
Sport in Oz is shot with video cameras at 50Hz interlaced, this deinterlaces to 50 frames per second and is super smooth to begin with, it needs no help from motion/frame interpolation.
The TV should automatically disable interpolation with sport or other true interlaced 50 or 60Hz content.

Edited by Owen, 11 January 2012 - 11:12 AM.