Long Life Led Lcd

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 GT-E

GT-E

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

I need to replace our failed 32" LCD TV with a new panel.
This display is just a 1080i display for a PC that we use to see how many jobs we have in a Q. It runs 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.
I do not care about anything except that it is 1080i minimum of 40", can plug into a PC via 15pin VGA or USB or DVI and will just last for a few years.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a brand that is known to last ?
I was just going to get a TV with a 3 year warranty, but thought I would ask the collective for an experienced opinion.

#2 Lomu

Lomu

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

I need to replace our failed 32" LCD TV with a new panel.
This display is just a 1080i display for a PC that we use to see how many jobs we have in a Q. It runs 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.
I do not care about anything except that it is 1080i minimum of 40", can plug into a PC via 15pin VGA or USB or DVI and will just last for a few years.

Has anyone got any suggestions on a brand that is known to last ?
I was just going to get a TV with a 3 year warranty, but thought I would ask the collective for an experienced opinion.

Three choices, really. Sony, Panasonic and Samsung.
Sony will probably be your best bet- Samsungs are notorious for failing power supplies and capacitors, and I wouldn't go near a Panasonic LCD- the picture quality just isn't there.
My 2c (plust GST!)

#3 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,027 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

There is no such thing as a 1080i LCD, never has been.
Any current LCD will display 1080i or 1080p input and for your use it does not matter much what you buy.

#4 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,027 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Samsungs are notorious for failing power supplies and capacitors,

Years ago there may have been some substance to that claim but if you can prove it is still the case please do so.

#5 GT-E

GT-E

AV Forum Member

• 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

The picture quality is not really important as the writing is large on the screen and it is not complex.
Would I be best just to get a $500 samsung with a 3 year warranty ?

#6 fawlty99

fawlty99

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

The picture quality is not really important as the writing is large on the screen and it is not complex.
Would I be best just to get a $500 samsung with a 3 year warranty ?

Yes

#7 Lomu

Lomu

AV Forum Member

• 22 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

Years ago there may have been some substance to that claim but if you can prove it is still the case please do so.

Well, if you bought a Samsung panel 3 years ago, you may very well have a dodgy power supply in it right now. Samsung panels are well known for quality control issues. But- in their defence, they do have the best picture quality IMO.

#8 TheFrog

TheFrog

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

My Samsung HDTV is 2yrs old.....

#9 Owen

Owen

AV Forum Member

• 12,027 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:00 PM

Well, if you bought a Samsung panel 3 years ago, you may very well have a dodgy power supply in it right now. Samsung panels are well known for quality control issues. But- in their defence, they do have the best picture quality IMO.

I dont think the OP is looking to buy a 3 year old TV.

I purchased a 52" Samsung LCD 2 years ago when the dodgy power supply stories where current, I suppose I should expect it to fail any day now. ;)