Photo

Minimum Reception Requirements For New Houses?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,579 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi,

My brother just moved into his new place in Melton. Comes with an antenna and two wall outlets. Unfortunately using a few different bits of equipment its apparent only SBS and C31 are able to be received clearly. Was just wondering if it was reasonable there was some expectation of a better setup? Are there some hard reception 'numbers' that the installer should have verified the house was getting?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#2 clipper

clipper

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

There are minimum 'numbers' to ensure reliability( Ch levels 50+db, MER 24+, preBER E-4) but how will he know without a digital meter? Has he done a factory reset and rescan?

#3 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

I agree with the minimum figures clipper has stated.

Melton can be quite variable with digital reception.

For most areas of Melton/Melton West, I usually install separate VHF and UHF antennas and antenna location and height can be critical.

#4 M'bozo

M'bozo

AV Forum Member

• 2,799 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:06 AM

My brother just moved into his new place in Melton. Comes with an antenna and two wall outlets.

Is it a brand new house, a pre-existing property with a new antenna system, (or a house with an antenna previously installed)?

For a brand new house or new installation, the antenna installer should have ensured reception is adequate, and should be contacted to ask why there is an apparent difficulty.

If pre-exisiting, you'll probably have to engage someone to inspect & correct. (This may also be required if satisfaction is not obtained in the case of the first two scenarios).

It's possible there is an amplifier of some description in the system which is missing a power supply, or if the power supply/amplifier is hidden in the ceiling cavity, not switched on.

#5 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,579 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Thanks guys,

Its a brand new house (tight budget but one where the builder loves does the absolute minimum (or less)). I'll let my brother know about the possible powered unit however I think its unlikely (given sentence one). The proper procedure will no doubt be through the builder however its possible that will take weeks to be acted on. Might be simpler just to get in an antenna guy. That said I'll pass along the numbers provided (thanks) and either it can be raised directly or he can pay $50 for a antenna guy to drop around with a digital meter and confirm.

mtv, I assume both antennas are needed for dtv and analogue? Probably won't need analogue in this household.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#6 beeblebrox

beeblebrox

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

if the builder has installed the antenna then it's likely that the "installer" wasn't a professional installer... very often it's done by the sparkie or even the builder themself or contracted to a guy who is doing it for next to nothing so bangs in any old thing and doesn't give a stuff. I know of at least one major builder who contracts to a guy who installs caravan style antennas inside the roof with an amplifier... just great fo digital!!! not....

#7 mtv

mtv

AV Forum Member

• 6,047 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

mtv, I assume both antennas are needed for dtv and analogue? Probably won't need analogue in this household.

Peter.... the antennas are specifically for digital, but also usually work fine for all analoge channels, except ABC analogue, as they are only designed for channels 6 & above.

Yes, SBS is planned to move to VHF sometime after analogue switchoff (31 Dec 2013) but there is no word that I am aware of, as to what the community digital channel will do. eg: stay on UHF or also convert to VHF.

So until then, if you want to view SBS,C31.. you'll need a UHF antenna in addition to the VHF antenna for channels 6-12.

VHF/UHF combination antennas are fine for good signal areas, but separate VHF/UHF antennas perform better in marginal reception areas.

It's one of those situations where a signal site survey will determine which antennas work best and where the best mounting location for the antenna is.

Most builders/sparkies and even some antenna installers usually just mount an antenna where it's the quickest, easiest and simplest place to mount it... without any consideration to actual reception reliability.

#8 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 11,579 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

Thanks AA, I'd have made the call however my brother had a sparky mate have a look and it was the fly leads (the one thing I couldn't check myself as we only had one).

Thanks also for all the replies guys. Much appreciated

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#9 andrewlace

andrewlace

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:24 PM

Peter.... the antennas are specifically for digital, but also usually work fine for all analoge channels, except ABC analogue, as they are only designed for channels 6 & above.

Yes, SBS is planned to move to VHF sometime after analogue switchoff (31 Dec 2013) but there is no word that I am aware of, as to what the community digital channel will do. eg: stay on UHF or also convert to VHF.

So until then, if you want to view SBS,C31.. you'll need a UHF antenna in addition to the VHF antenna for channels 6-12.

VHF/UHF combination antennas are fine for good signal areas, but separate VHF/UHF antennas perform better in marginal reception areas.

It's one of those situations where a signal site survey will determine which antennas work best and where the best mounting location for the antenna is.

Most builders/sparkies and even some antenna installers usually just mount an antenna where it's the quickest, easiest and simplest place to mount it... without any consideration to actual reception reliability.

agreed.