• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 scottrichardson

scottrichardson

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hey folks. Got a bit of a rant/rage/frustration to vent. Sorry in advance.

I have a JVC D-ILA HD950 Projector.

OK so a few days ago from top to bottom of the left 5% of my picture became purple. The projector has just over 1000 hours on it.

I ring JVC and they acknowledge there'a a fault with the optical engine.

They pass the buck to service centre who wants to charge me $200 to 'have a look' which I may or may not get back when I pay for the more expensive repair. Then mid-call, the lady says that her big boss walked in and said something to her and that I need to call back JVC Customer Support and ask THEM to email the Service Centre telling them I can have the check done for free.

Now the problem.

JVC Service/Support is in the process of a company hand over, and its happening over XMAS. If I send my projector to them now, it won't get repaired until mid January as they cannot get spare parts in now until after the company handover.

I COULD hang on to my projector as it IS useable, but annoying with the purple left hand side of the image.

HOWEVER, they also said that if I don't send it now, the new company likely won't check the machine for free, as the current company is fairly lenient - so they should be with a $10k RRP projector GRRR.

IF I hold on to my projector and wait until mid January to have it fixed, and the new company doesn't fix/check for free, then it is likely going to cost me thousands to repair it, a 2 year old top of the line projector :(

Rock and a hard place, and Im stuck.

Oh and to add to the problem, I have to take it into the repair centre myself, which is 4 hours from where i live.. Im on the south coast of NSW, and the centre is in Sydney.

Damn it.

Advice, tips, suggestions?

Scottie

Edited by scottrichardson, 09 December 2011 - 11:14 AM.

#2 HTPC-Guru

HTPC-Guru

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:23 AM

Sounds like they just want your hard earned mate.. How do they know what the new company will do? I would hold onto it, atleast you can use it over xmas if you want too. Is it still under warranty?

#3 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Hey folks. Got a bit of a rant/rage/frustration to vent. Sorry in advance.

I have a JVC D-ILA HD950 Projector.

OK so a few days ago from top to bottom of the left 5% of my picture became purple. The projector has just over 1000 hours on it.

I ring JVC and they acknowledge there'a a fault with the optical engine.

They pass the buck to service centre who wants to charge me $200 to 'have a look' which I may or may not get back when I pay for the more expensive repair. Then mid-call, the lady says that her big boss walked in and said something to her and that I need to call back JVC Customer Support and ask THEM to email the Service Centre telling them I can have the check done for free.

Now the problem.

JVC Service/Support is in the process of a company hand over, and its happening over XMAS. If I send my projector to them now, it won't get repaired until mid January as they cannot get spare parts in now until after the company handover.

I COULD hang on to my projector as it IS useable, but annoying with the purple left hand side of the image.

HOWEVER, they also said that if I don't send it now, the new company likely won't check the machine for free, as the current company is fairly lenient - so they should be with a $10k RRP projector GRRR.

IF I hold on to my projector and wait until mid January to have it fixed, and the new company doesn't fix/check for free, then it is likely going to cost me thousands to repair it, a 2 year old top of the line projector :(

Rock and a hard place, and Im stuck.

Oh and to add to the problem, I have to take it into the repair centre myself, which is 4 hours from where i live.. Im on the south coast of NSW, and the centre is in Sydney.

Damn it.

Advice, tips, suggestions?

Scottie

Hi Scottie

It all boils down to the $200 inspection. Are you willing to pay that for the priveledge of having the projector over the January period.
I personally would send it in and save the fee. But that's me. And if they botch it and they lose it hey a new x90 replacement for free would be nice

Edited by Crist, 09 December 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#4 scottrichardson

scottrichardson

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hi Scottie

It all boils down to the $200 inspection. Are you willing to pay that for the priveledge of having the projector over the January period.
I personally would send it in and save the fee. But that's me. And if they botch it and they lose it hey a new x90 replacement for free would be nice

Yeah, cheers, that's probably the best bet. X90 would be tasty - intended on buying one eventually anyway, but would sell my 950 for a decent fee first ;)

#5 :)

:)

AV Forum Member

• 31,392 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:33 AM

share your pain, its unfortunate isnt it in this day and age, service can be just so cr@p !

and this even if you by the top of the range in a brand.

I dont think good enough quite frankly. and thats within or out of warranty.

the sad part is this kind of cr@p local service isnt just at jvc. Epson is pathetic in this regard I have to say. the local service centre is top notch. but epson australia is hopeless. similar issue to the jvc. went on and on for 6-7 weeks back and forth. till basically in the end I just moved on. after which nearly 2 months later due to lack of parts they tell me they going to replace it. :rolleyes: in comparison in the US epson there within 2 days send you out another projector no matter what the problem is.

here in oz, we definitely get treated as though we are at the @rse end of the world ..butt end of a joke ... !

sorry to hear your troubles but having spoken to atleast a couple of other jvc owners who have had problems I dont beleive it gets any better ! -_-

#6 Squidjammer

Squidjammer

AV Forum Member

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Sorry to hear about your issue, I had the same problem with my HD550.

Why don't you get the service center to inspect and confirm that its the optical engine at fault then ask to get the projector back until the part is available?

That's what I did rather then go 3months without a projector (which is how long it took for them to replace.)

Kind Regards

Scott

#7 GSpot

GSpot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

Take it back to the retailer. They have to fix it under warranty. A $10K PJ will be warrantied for more than two years regardless what they retailer and the paperwork states. Don't pay a cent. Just to be clear...they don't have a say in the matter. If they refuse, then send them a letter via registered post telling them of your rights and their responsibilities under the trade practices act (google it and attach the bit about statutory warranty). Like I said, they don't have a say in the matter. You are legally entitled to get it repaired for free.

#8 scottrichardson

scottrichardson

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

Sorry to hear about your issue, I had the same problem with my HD550.

Why don't you get the service center to inspect and confirm that its the optical engine at fault then ask to get the projector back until the part is available?

That's what I did rather then go 3months without a projector (which is how long it took for them to replace.)

Kind Regards

Scott

Scott, was your problem the same as mine? The discolouration down the side of the image?

The more I think about it the more pissed I am that I may be without a PJ for 6 weeks, and over the holiday period... when I have time to actually use it with the family. Should I request a replacement to use in the meantime?

#9 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

worth a read:

http://www.accc.gov......d refunds.pdf

This is for goods purchased prior to Jan 1 2011 as the law changed to clarify a number of items. But this will be relevant to you.

#10 scottrichardson

scottrichardson

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

WTF.

I just rang JVC Customer service, and was told that there was no one there as they were all in a meeting. Seriously? No one there to take a customer service call. At a huge consumer electronics manufacturer.

This stinks.

#11 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

WTF.

I just rang JVC Customer service, and was told that there was no one there as they were all in a meeting. Seriously? No one there to take a customer service call. At a huge consumer electronics manufacturer.

This stinks.

Just make a record of the calls you make and what responses you get, and read the above link. You will most likely be able to get a good resolution but being patient and calm is the best approach.

#12 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Oh and the meeting is probably their Christmas party on a Friday afternoon ;)

#13 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

So Panasonic service sucks.
Epson service sucks.
And now JVC service sucks.

The options are narrowing :(

I feel for you man!

I'm seriously considering a grey import and taking the gamble. It really seems like paying extra for a local "warranty" isn't really worth it anyway.

#14 Chicken Man

Chicken Man

AV Forum Member

• 6,322 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Epson service sucks.

I feel for you man!

I'm seriously considering a grey import and taking the gamble. It really seems like paying extra for a local "warranty" isn't really worth it anyway.

I think I have come to the same conclusion myself. <_<

C.M

Edited by Chicken Man, 09 December 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#15 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

While not suggesting buying a grey import isn't possibly cost effective, the local warranty is worth something. In the warranty period you get good service, it is when it falls to the statutory warranty that Australian company's try to count on the uninformed consumer just accepting them saying it will cost you. Many just pay as they think my warranty expired I have to get it fixed. But like the OP, when you have paid $10K for a pj you are covered for repairs for a reasonable life if you just pursue the issue. You won't get that from a grey import. It is just how much that is worth to you that matters.

Edited by SDL, 09 December 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#16 ttn

ttn

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

I'm going o/s soon. How much can i really save? <_<

#17 scottrichardson

scottrichardson

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

My approach is this:

Im going to call back.
I will reiterate that I should be paying nothing for any part of this because it's a known fault of the manufacturer. I will note the Fair Trading Statutory Warranty.
I will state that 6 weeks wait is too long to wait.
I expect they will say something along the lines of thats just how it is with the changeover (unacceptable IMHO)
I will inform them that it's not my fault that the business is going through a transition, I as a consumer should not have to wait.
I will request that I am provided a replacement to use while they have my unit for 6 weeks.
If they disagree, I will request a full replacement
If they disagree, I will warn that I will be calling up Fair Trading.
If they still disagree, I WILL call fair trading and have them deal with it.

The main reason I'm going to be so demanding about this is because it's a known fault, and not just an our of warranty break down. If it was just a typical OOW issue, I would be happy to wait. I don't want to be waiting all Christmas holidays without the main source of entertainment for my family at night time LOL.

Will keep u posted peeps. Thanks for all the advice!

#18 ajm

ajm

AV Forum Member

• 10,308 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

While not suggesting buying a grey import isn't possibly cost effective, the local warranty is worth something. In the warranty period you get good service, it is when it falls to the statutory warranty that Australian company's try to count on the uninformed consumer just accepting them saying it will cost you. Many just pay as they think my warranty expired I have to get it fixed. But like the OP, when you have paid $10K for a pj you are covered for repairs for a reasonable life if you just pursue the issue. You won't get that from a grey import. It is just how much that is worth to you that matters.

I agree with you and, as someone who went through protracted dispute with Panasonic over a warranty repair, I know first hand that what manufacturers are obliged to give by law and what they chose to give readily are two different things.

The issue the OP faces is mostly with the time it will take. This is where the difference between "service" and "grudging acceptance of obligation" comes in.

You can get somewhere if there's a problem and you need the manufacturer to deal with it. You just need to be prepared to wait. A long time.

FWIW, it took nearly 18 months to resolve my issues with Panasonic. The end result was a full refund. I don't feel like I gained anything from the time and effort I put into it and probably would have preferred to spend less, work on the assumption there was no warranty and accept the cost of repair or replacement.

But this doesn't help the OP...

So my advice is be firm and be patient. There's probably not much use jumping up and down about the time it takes because the only person remotely affected by that is you - JVC are unlikely to give a ****.

[edit] - Fair Trading don't "deal" with anything and are mostly a waste of space. As long as the service centre tell them they're handling the problem that's enough for Fair Trading to wipe their hands of it. Wether that takes 6 hours, 6 days or 6 months, they're not going to intervene so long as JVC tell them they're working with you on it.

Edited by ajm, 09 December 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#19 cooyarpjm

cooyarpjm

AV Forum Member

• PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

My approach is this:

Im going to call back.
I will reiterate that I should be paying nothing for any part of this because it's a known fault of the manufacturer. I will note the Fair Trading Statutory Warranty.
I will state that 6 weeks wait is too long to wait.
I expect they will say something along the lines of thats just how it is with the changeover (unacceptable IMHO)
I will inform them that it's not my fault that the business is going through a transition, I as a consumer should not have to wait.
I will request that I am provided a replacement to use while they have my unit for 6 weeks.
If they disagree, I will request a full replacement

The main reason I'm going to be so demanding about this is because it's a known fault, and not just an our of warranty break down. If it was just a typical OOW issue, I would be happy to wait. I don't want to be waiting all Christmas holidays without the main source of entertainment for my family at night time LOL.

Will keep u posted peeps. Thanks for all the advice!

Just be carefull mate under the Statutory warranty it is between you and the retailer not the manufacturer and just incase you can get JVC under the stat warranty if a company changes hands they are not responsible for products sold by the previous owners.

Good luck with it anyway and i hope a favourable outcome is the result.

#20 SDL

SDL

AV Forum Member

• 10,652 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

I agree with you and, as someone who went through protracted dispute with Panasonic over a warranty repair, I know first hand that what manufacturers are obliged to give by law and what they chose to give readily are two different things.

The issue the OP faces is mostly with the time it will take. This is where the difference between "service" and "grudging acceptance of obligation" comes in.

You can get somewhere if there's a problem and you need the manufacturer to deal with it. You just need to be prepared to wait. A long time.

FWIW, it took nearly 18 months to resolve my issues with Panasonic. The end result was a full refund. I don't feel like I gained anything from the time and effort I put into it and probably would have preferred to spend less, work on the assumption there was no warranty and accept the cost of repair or replacement.

But this doesn't help the OP...

So my advice is be firm and be patient. There's probably not much use jumping up and down about the time it takes because the only person remotely affected by that is you - JVC are unlikely to give a ****.

[edit] - Fair Trading don't "deal" with anything and are mostly a waste of space. As long as the service centre tell them they're handling the problem that's enough for Fair Trading to wipe their hands of it. Wether that takes 6 hours, 6 days or 6 months, they're not going to intervene so long as JVC tell them they're working with you on it.

Agree completely. You have to be willing to fight for your rights as no-one seems to want to give them to you, the service is lousy at most of these places. As for Fair trading, yeah if you wait for them to deal with something you will be a long time dead before anything happens.

Edited by SDL, 09 December 2011 - 02:32 PM.

#21 MRCRIST

MRCRIST

AV Forum Member

• 3,597 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

Epson service sucks.

I feel for you man!

You forgot Samsung service. That really sucks with a capital S

#22 bbar

bbar

AV Forum Member

• 6,901 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

You forgot Samsung service. That really sucks with a capital S

JVC service has been good, and some have had their PJ repaired out-of-warranty for free.

Issue here I suspect is the changing of the local distributor and that such an expensive PJ seems to have a flaw that may affect many after warranty expires.

#23 blybo

blybo

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Though I feel for the OP's situation, it's fair that we understand he's not dealing with JVC, he's dealing with a distributor of theirs that is going belly up. A new distributor takes over sales of JVC on Jan 1, the current guys are probably hoping you just go away until then.

Statutory warranties are only as good as the tribunal magistrate (or other mediator etc.) you get on the day... I'll be going to VCAT next year and hope to win as much to make the distributor of a non AV type product eat humble pie.

#24 ttn

ttn

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

My approach is this:

Scott, in my experience, after you have exhausted all possible solutions with retailer/provider and it's getting no where, OFT can deal and resolve very quickly. My little advice is continuing communications with your provider and insist on resolving issues otherwise you will take them to Authority to resolve the matter and only if they ignore you or do not have reasonable solutions then OFT can be more pro-active

my 2 c & all the best

#25 GSpot

GSpot

AV Forum Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

I think y'all may be losing some focus here. Your contract is with the retailer that sold your the PJ. So it doesn't matter if the distributer or the repairer or anyone else is changing hands, or closed for Xmas, or whatever. Assuming that the retailer is still in business, take it back to them. They are the ones that have the legal obligation to make all the arrangements. Bothering JVC themselves or the repairer is just mudding the waters and bringing in too many people into the argument. Take it back to the retailer with a copy of the statutory law.