Need Help: Problem With Cabling, No Fta On Foxtel Satellite Wiring

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 Leelah

Leelah

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread. I'm just wondering if my problem may be similar (and unable to start a new thread myself).

I'm in a ground floor apartment of an old, three level building built in 1950s I would guess. We have no FTA tv reception at all. The tv antenna man has said that the apartment building probably has a looped cabling system for the shared antenna and since we are the only one with no reception at all, we must be at the end of the loop.
He put some device on the end of our cable and went up to the roof and said it was not connected to the antenna - therefore determining it is dead, cut or damaged.
He has said it's too hard to find the damage and to fix it and is recommending a whole new connection on another wall with conduit going on the external of the building - $600 job.
I'm wondering though, if there is any way the break in the original cable can be found and repaired or if a new cable can be fished through somehow?
The antenna man basically said it might take him hours to try to locate the break in the original cable and even after a few hours he can't guarantee he would find it anyway. So basically I would be paying for him to investigate with no guarantee of a solution.
Does anyone know of a way to trace where the cable goes?

#27 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 12,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

Tough one. Attaching your new cable wire to the end of the old cable wire and pulling it through would be the usual approach. 

But 

1) You're not sure if you're connected to other apartments or splitters

2) The cable may be broken, which stops this

3) The cable may be tacked down etc. which stops this

4) Pulling any cable through 3 stories of friction is probably pretty difficult.

Finding the break point is not feasible IMO.

One suggestion might be to run some cable down from your neighbor's connection on the second floor. Put in a splitter (powered?) and piggy back off it. This would depend on how well you get along with your neighbors of course, but would be much easier for the installer, less risky and use much less cable etc.

The only other suggestion might be is there some existing well or conduit down which you could thread / drop the antenna cable from the top floor to yours? The expensive part of the job is probably running new conduit and if you could find an easier method for the installer then this might make the expense less. Might be less aesthetic but  could the installer just connect the wire to the antenna and drop the cable down the side of the house? No need to actually house inside a conduit.

Another option might be to install a new antenna at ground level. You can get fairly compact digital ones to attach to a wall or window sill. Depends on the signal strength in the area but the nature of digital means as long as you've got half decent reception, you'll get 100% picture quality.

Anyway, just some ideas (I'm not an installer btw)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#28 Leelah

Leelah

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:40 PM

Hi peter, thanks for the detailed response.
I googled some of the options that you suggested and I'm wondering if something like this would work?
http://store.gomohu....tv-antenna.html ?

So far we have tried one of those square-ish Indoor antennas, rabbit ears and an electric antenna (not sure how else to describe it) but no luck. If we put the square one outside through the window we get reception but that means having to keep the window open so not really workable.
The owners corporation won't let us run anything outside the building.

#29 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,876 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 09:43 PM

The owners corporation won't let us run anything outside the building.

They should be the ones fixing the problem.

#30 Leelah

Leelah

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:29 PM

Hello Senior Member,  I couldn't agree with you more. I have been waiting for 18 months for the OC to do something about the matter but I am losing patience now.

Originally when I notified them of the problem I was told it was an isolated issue and I would have to pay for repairs.

A

They offered a temporary run of cable (no conduit) for $180 which would have to be removed when they decided to paint the building. This option involved drilling into my new floorboards so I refused and asked for a proper, long term solution.

#31 Leelah

Leelah

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 10:33 PM

Sorry - i hit enter before I finished that last message.

I ended up lodging a formal OC complaint six months ago and was then given the $600 option which involves external conduit. I was told this would also be 'temporary'. When I felt I had no other option, I reluctantly agreed and was then told the OC has now refused to approve this option because of external cabling. Now the OC are saying they want  further investigation into why the original cable cant be fixed... at my cost of course. So I'm just wondering if its likely that this will lead to any actual solution or if it's just going to be a waste of time and money....

#32 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,876 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

VCAT?

#33 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 12,005 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 04:17 PM

I'd suggest you ring the Renters Helpline and ask what options you might have. If the other two apartments have reception and yours doesn't then you'd normally expect the OC to have to rectify the situation (unless the contract specifically states it doesn't have reception.) 

For antennas I was thinking a proper outdoor one (since another indoor one is unlikely to work) perhaps clamped to your window sill. Unless you live in a heritage protected home (which doesn't seem the case) you should be able to do what you like with your own window sill (check with the hotline). Note that you can make any changes you like to the inside of your rental property. Your obligation is to restore it to how you found it (if requested)

Maybe this one, or this fringe one. The good thing about Bunnings is you can keep the receipt and return them for a cash refund if they don't work.

But all that said, I'd agree with Mr Negative Attitude (------) and you should probably just make a formal complaint. It doesn't need to be adversarial. Just need an umpire to clarify who is responsible. IMO they are and any 'tests' they want to run should be at their cost. You are also entitled to get work done and recover costs from the OC if they don't act within a timely period. Again check with the hotline on how practical such approaches are.

NB you don't say what state you are in - all have different rules and services.

Google "Tenants Advice Service" with your state. Some info:

If your property doesn’t have an antenna but you would like one, you can request that your landlord install one.  Unfortunately if you landlord refuses to install an antenna there is not a lot you can do – they are not required by legislation to install one. However, if there was a TV connection outlet at your property when you started living there, which led you to believe there was adequate TV reception, you may be able to argue that you were entitled to assume that there was television reception. You can call the Tenant Advice Line for advice.

You can install an antenna yourself but you must get written consent from the landlord.  Your landlord cannot unreasonably withhold consent. You should make a written agreement about the installation of an antenna to the house, make it very clear about whether it will be removed at the end of the tenancy or not. Be aware that you may be liable for damage caused to the house by the removal of an antenna and that if you leave the fixtures or fittings at the house when you leave, they become the landlord’s property. 

Note this would be the way to get an antenna attached to your window sill (which you would say will be removed after the tenancy ends)

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

PS Totally unrelated, but you might be using one of those RENTAL CARD services that landlords use to offload paying rent etc. They usually come with all sorts of fees etc. The Checkout TV show did a good rundown on them (they are all owned by one company). You don't have to use them and the landlord is obligated to provide an reasonable payment option (like direct debit) with no fees.

Edited by pgdownload, 09 May 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#34 Leelah

Leelah

AV Forum Member

• 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I am the owner. :hmm: I spoke to Consumer Affairs last year who told me to lodge the complaint to Owners Corporation which I did six months ago. The next step would be conciliation through Consumer Affairs and then VCAT.

The outside of the building is getting restored so they won't let me put anything on the outside. I feel like putting one up on the window and insisting it remain until they resolve the matter however I am certain they would tear it down.

#35 pgdownload

pgdownload

AV Forum Member

• 12,005 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

Did wonder why you were concerned about the flooring :) In that case its not a tenancy thing at all (as you seem pretty aware)

I suspect your best short term bet is if you are on good terms with upstairs, getting the antenna guy to see if he can't run a cable down from the upstairs antenna outlet to your house.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

#36 ------

------

AV Forum Member

• 2,876 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 07:37 AM

(I'm not an installer btw)

I'm not a logician btw.

I base comments made here on my ineraction with this thread.

Further edit: It seems leelah's problem has been resolved:

The Antenna repair man had come on Monday to check the unit upstairs and trace the cable. I was advised afterwards that the unit above me also had a faulty cable and no TV reception. On Friday they returned to check the unit two floors above me.

I was advised later in the afternoon that the owner had 'altered the cable' and it was now repaired... Connected my TV cable to the wall and voila – I now have FTA TV – finally!

Having been down this path many times, I was not surprised at the outcome. Only that it took so long to resolve.  :yawn:

Edited by ------, 24 May 2015 - 06:26 AM.